Tapatalk, any one use it here?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Tapatalk, any one use it here?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Tapatalk can't find this forum for me

Anyone use it here?

I am using Firefox on my cellphone right now.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Tapatalk, any one use it here?

Post by WingAdmin »

No, because the forum has to specifically support it, and I specifically choose not to.

Tapatalk is in the business of selling ads. How do they do this? By getting content from forums, and putting that content in their app, and then plastering their own ads over it. The forum sometimes gets a tiny fraction of that ad revenue, but in most cases, the forum gets nothing.

This forum is supported (just barely, and not always) by ad revenue. The cost of hosting for this site is considerable. Draining off that ad revenue into a third-party app that gives us nothing in return would kill us.

We're not the only forum to make this decision. The massive Androidforums forum has ditched Tapatalk for the same reason - not to mention that they have found Tapatalk to be unreliable and doing things like copying content from the forums they are "working with" and putting it on their own site, without permission, which is just wrong.

Not to mention, they are immoral in their marketing methods to end users. Users can pay extra to get an "ad free" version of Tapatalk. But as soon as they release a new version (which your phone automatically installs), guess what, the ads are back...and you have to pay again to remove the ads again! What other app/site/business works this way?

In order to implement it, we would have to make our member information available to them. Tapatalk then reserves the right to email marketing spam to all of our members, trying to get them to buy their software. This is against our privacy policies - we don't give/share/sell/divulge our member information to ANYONE.

Not to mention, there are quite a few things on this site other than the forum that actually get quite a bit of use. Tapatalk supports none of that, so people wouldn't even know it was there. Tapatalk would be essentially looking through a pipe at this site's forum, siphoning up the content, and selling it for its own profit. No thank you.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

I downloaded tapatalk to my phone not long ago. I uninstalled tapatalk after about 10 minutes. No Thank You!
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

well, that answers that question, it is going to be uninstalled...

I use the Motorcycle.com app to read the GoldwingFacts forum, but it can't read your forum, so I loaded TapaTalk and it sees your name, but won't access the site.

oh well, unloading it. no problem, and I appreciate the deep down info on the finance structure.... all forums have that problem.

as for my phone Automatically installing updates, no it does not.

I have that turned OFF in Google MyApps..you have a choice, and I choose not to, because updates will break on my phone, it is running 4.4.4 Android.... rooted by choice.
if it works now, why update it?
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:12 pm well, that answers that question, it is going to be uninstalled...

I use the Motorcycle.com app to read the GoldwingFacts forum, but it can't read your forum, so I loaded TapaTalk and it sees your name, but won't access the site.

oh well, unloading it. no problem, and I appreciate the deep down info on the finance structure.... all forums have that problem.

as for my phone Automatically installing updates, no it does not.

I have that turned OFF in Google MyApps..you have a choice, and I choose not to, because updates will break on my phone, it is running 4.4.4 Android.... rooted by choice.
if it works now, why update it?
Me too, I choose to decide what gets upgraded. But on most phones app auto-update is turned on (it is by default) and most people don't even know it can be turned off.