tie down points

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

tie down points

Post by hap2 »

Once I discover a simple way of feeding 2 soft ties around the triple tree (Cuz I sure don't know any other secure place or method to ratchet down the front end of the bike to the 2 corners of the trailer), can I go from each side on the frame (to about where the battery is) to each back corner of the trailer?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: tie down points

Post by AZgl1800 »

Don't do that, use a single strap that is wrapped around the rear wheel near the bottom and snug it off as tight as you can to each side of the trailer.

That will allow the bike's suspension to absorb road shock as designed to do.

Tying off to the frame sideways can have bad results, depending on where you tie it off to.

Much safer to use the rear wheel, I have towed my 1500s and 1800 many miles that way w/o any problems at all.

The typical soft double looped straps over the lower triple tree as you mention, and the rear strap is all I use.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
hap2

Post by hap2 »

Man. I wish I could help in here as much as I've been helped. Thanks alot AZgl1800

Have u ever had difficulty finding the triple tree? I'd sure like to know as easier way to find if if there is one. Maybe a flashlight? Not a whole lotta room in there either it seems. I have big football-hands (they tell me), but still; it shouldn't take 20 min or more.
hap2

Post by hap2 »

I know enuf to use the triple tree at the front to tie down the front corners, but can I use the sub frame in the middle (after taking the side panels off) to go to the rear corners of the trailer? Not exactly sure what to use at the very back of the bike...not the hitch right?
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

hap2 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm I know enuf to use the triple tree at the front to tie down the front corners, but can I use the sub frame in the middle (after taking the side panels off) to go to the rear corners of the trailer? Not exactly sure what to use at the very back of the bike...not the hitch right?
Don't do that either, all you need to do is secure the front wheel down solid into a wheel chock.
On my open trailer, I use a 3rd strap to wrap around the front wheel and the vertical support of the trailer that forms that chock. The soft double loop straps go up and over the bottom triple tree, be sure to go under the cables there, for my XXX hands, it is a very tight fit, but I can get it done.

for the rear of the bike. all you need do is use that single strap I mentioned, wrap it around the rear wheel once, and then pull it off to the sides of the trailer and snug it up tight.

that is all that is needed, stay off of the sub frames, period. there is no need to remove any plastics to tie down a 1500 or an 1800.

I never have, not once in 30+ years of trailering a bike.

Wish I had taken pictures when we hauled our two 1800s on one trailer to South Dakota 2 years ago...

all we did was the front straps and a single strap for the rear wheels.
You don't need to pull backwards on it, just snug it to the sides of the trailer.

I just might go out and load up my bike tomorrow as an exercise to show you.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
hap2

Post by hap2 »

ya ok...dunno if ur serious re that detailed demo video, but that wud help. If it matters, it'll b a u haul motorcycle trailer I b using
hap2

Post by hap2 »

Can someone pleeease take a very detailed picture or 2 of where EXACTLY the following tie down point is?

on the back by the frame where the saddlebag crash guards attached but not to the crash guards themselves

Maybe in mspaint (or wherever) draw an arrow pointing to that spot. I sure dunno where it is

Thank u