HELP WITH HELMET SOUND SYSTEM !

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
FreeSwede
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

HELP WITH HELMET SOUND SYSTEM !

Post by FreeSwede » Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm

We have only been Goldwing Riders for about three years so there is still SO MUCH WE DON'T KNOW. Our ride is a 1995 GL 1500 SE with a Roadsmith Trike conversion. We live in Southwest Utah, 3 hours closer to Las Vegas than to Salt Lake City. My wife and I just returned from a ride to San Francisco, six out of ten days on the trike, four of which over very hot desert pavements. I should mention that our 95 1500 SE has a particularly loud exhaust system, and we attempted to reduced the noise level with the addition of a resonator between the stock muffler (with baffles removed by previous owner) and the exhaust tips; the resonator did not make much difference. This trip determined us that we need to replace our older, open-face helmets to try to REDUCE THE WIND AND EXHAUST NOISE and get a new SOUND SYSTEM.

On the way back we stopped in the large cycle shop in Las Vegas and spent several hours there, ending up more confused than ever by all the options. We think we need a SOUND SYSTEM that provides 1) clear INTERCOM communication between passenger and driver over wind noise and static; 2) ability to LISTEN TO THE RADIO (both on-board and SIRIUS) 3) listen to MUSIC from our CELL PHONE & MP3 (Blue Tooth) 4) utilize the ON-BOARD CB SYSTEM. Being able to communicate with other riders in a group would be nice, but at this point is not essential to us. We also are not particularly interested in being able to take or make phone calls while we ride.

WE ARE OLDER and not particularly tech-savvy, and have already been defeated (at least temporarily) by UCLEAR; in Las Vegas we bought a SENA 20 S EVO (quite expensive for us), and listened closely for a long period of instruction on how to use it, and experienced miserable performance with it in our new SEDICI Modular helmets. The SENA seemed to work okay at lower speeds, but at highway speeds the sound was weak and distorted. I was an Educator for 45 years, and maybe that's the reason I am neither fond of nor very good at pouring over long technical directions. This whole HELMET SOUND SYSTEM quandary seems so huge it could become a second career! IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN GIVE US A FEW REALLY GOOD CUT-TO-THE-CHASE RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW T0 OVERCOME THE WIND AND EXHAUST NOISE AND HAVE GOOD CONVERSATION, RADIO AND MUSIC IN OUR HELMETS? We would be SOOOO grateful.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: HELP WITH HELMET SOUND SYSTEM !

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:23 am

I have a tough time trying to resolve your "Radio/Stereo" issues because I have no experience with your year model. I just swapped out the OEM radio on my '91 Interstate and it works great, (minus the CB capability you mention).

That Sena 20-S should work great for all your intercom/bluetooth/music needs, , ,so it seems that the crux of your problem is that the HELMETS are not blocking the road/exhaust noise at freeway speeds. Your neck of the woods can get a good deal of HOT and COLD weather so, if it were me, , , I would consider a "modular" helmet (the ones that have a "flip-up chin bar"). The "Full-face" helmets are alleged to block wind noise better than "modulars", but since you can't "flip-up" a full-face helmet, they can be hotter on your noggin. Once you decide on whether you want a full-face, or a modular, ,I would recommend checking out the Sharp Labs rating website and look at the highest rated/lowest cost brand and model. The most expensive helmets are NOT always the safest. You'll find a lot of "certified" ratings on the internet, , (DOT, Snell, ECE, and a few others) but the Sharp Labs rating/testing is VERY impressive and since they aren't seeking any sort of "approval" for their findings, I consider them to be a good source of "NEUTRAL" but reliable information on safety/testing issues.
Here is the Sharp Labs website; https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I've recently been involved in the search for a new helmet to replace my 15-20 yr old Nolan. My research led me to the HJC IS-Max II Elemental MC-3H as my choice, , but I do not recommend that you read this and make the same decision without investigating all the information you can glean from whats out there. A modular helmet, or full-face, with a good chin curtain that fits properly, and good "seal" would greatly improve your experience for sure.

FreeSwede
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Post by FreeSwede » Fri May 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks very much, bluthunder31, for your time and consideration in sharing your experience. thanks especially for your viewpoint on Modular vs. Full Face. Our ride last week back from Las Vegas with our first Modular helmets revealed that until we got up into some elevation later in the evening, with the cover in down position we felt like we were breathing inside an oven; we had to flip those covers up to catch our breath! Thank also very much for the Sharp Labs website link. We will check it out.
One thing we are not clear on is what you mean when you wrote of ...."swapping out the OEM radio on your '91 I ... and it works great". What was the "swap" and what worked great? Do you mean you took out the old OEM radio and installed a new OEM radio, same model, etc.? Thanks again, friend.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Not many have accused me of being "shy" about giving my .02 cents on most topics, (haha). I hope my viewpoint helps.

My old '91 was made with a crappy little AM/FM stereo in the left fairing pocket, that was not very good even when it was brand new. Just recently, I removed the old 27 yr old OEM radio and replaced it with a new "aftermarket" stereo (bluetooth/aux in-put/USB/remote control(for mama ofcourse)) for $20 and mounted it face up on the center-shelter. I upgraded to new speakers too, so the improvement was stunning. The process I used, along with a few pictures of the finished product, are on this site under one of the "radio" threads, but your setup is a bit different from my old Interstate.

Good luck and hope to see you someday on the road.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Steve,

I have a Shoei modular helmet and when I get too warm, I pop up the front face shield a little bit to get some air underneath.

Something else that I have done, is to change the windshield out to a Madstad that is adjustable to meet current weather conditions.

Always before, I have had tall windshields, the +4 types, in Tulsa Tall, and Optic Armor. Both of those types prevent any wind at all striking your helmet, at any portion of it. opening up the vents on top did nothing.

this past weekend, I took my first long trip with the new Madstad and was amazed at how well those helmet vents actually work. I was able to keep the faceshield closed and could actually feel the air circulation around the top of my head with the Madstad lowered down to below eyeline level. this allowed the air stream to strike my helmet just above the faceshield.

makes a lot of difference in how well our helmets work.

I will only wear a Modular, because I wear glasses and a full face will strip your glasses of your face when putting it on, or taking it off.

as for hearing the speakers, you need good loud ones, and quiet helmet.
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 am

It sounds like you're looking to do pretty much exactly what I have done on my bike, and for the same reasons.

I have installed an AUX IN on my radio (I did it myself, but Sierra Electronics will do it if you are not handy with a soldering iron). I use this to listen to my satellite radio.

I have hard-wired J&M Elite headsets in my helmets. They are reliable, sound very good, and have excellent microphones.

I ride wearing custom fitted earplugs (although regular foam earplugs will work - just not as comfortable or effective). These block most of the exhaust and wind noise. I can still hear the engine and traffic around me. I have the volume of the radio set so that I can hear it clearly through the earplugs.

I've been riding for many years this way, and it works very well - no noise fatigue, and clear audio. The headsets let me communicate over the intercom and the CB.

If I could change one thing, I would make the intercom voice activated, instead of the microphone being open all the time. If that really bothers you, you can install Mic-Mutes, which will allow you to do this manually.

I also have a GPS Input that lets me hear my GPS spoken instructions over my intercom.

timmorris
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by timmorris » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:34 am

Had similar probs. Answer was good old fashioned hard wire system. No I can't talk to other riders etc but not a problem. I ride alone with the wife.. All communication radio and GPS etc goes through my Autocom box mounted under the seat. Job done. Good luck Timbom62@gmail.comūüėĆ.

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Post by ksdalet » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

I have the EdSets which are fantastic. At highway speed I can talk with open face and others can hear me clearly. I have a modular Nolan N4 so usually have it closed. The hearing is also fantastic. The EdSets have an actual microphone, much as used on helicopters. Many microphones are only a small speaker. Yes, you can talk through a speaker but it isn't very clear. If the EdSets are installed correctly you should have no problem. I can use the radio, CB, aux, and com. I hope this helps in your decision making.

ptilford
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Post by ptilford » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am

I would offer a suggestion which I did not see during this posting. Put extra effort into the placement of your speakers inside your helmet! I also purchased the J&M Elite helmet system with speakers, microphone and wiring, etc. I self-installed the equipment, turned everything on and was immediately disappointed with a lack of volume and I wasn't even moving.
To my credit, I had plugged in the system prior to tearing into my helmet and found it to have great volume and the best sound I had ever heard from a small helmet speaker. I then installed it with the poor results. I double checked many things but the only thing I had remaining was the actual position of the speakers as they sit inside my helmet. I had to do some custom cutting and shaping of the ear cut-out spaces and allowing room for additional movement, I tried again with better "center of ear" position and AHAA, success. Seriously, this was an entirely new world of sound and clarity. They have worked in all conditions and highway speeds for several years.
Your speaker positioning may be worth another evaluation and many helmets have many differing slots relative to your ears. Good Luck

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

ptilford wrote: ‚ÜĎ
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am
I would offer a suggestion which I did not see during this posting. Put extra effort into the placement of your speakers inside your helmet! I also purchased the J&M Elite helmet system with speakers, microphone and wiring, etc. I self-installed the equipment, turned everything on and was immediately disappointed with a lack of volume and I wasn't even moving.
To my credit, I had plugged in the system prior to tearing into my helmet and found it to have great volume and the best sound I had ever heard from a small helmet speaker. I then installed it with the poor results. I double checked many things but the only thing I had remaining was the actual position of the speakers as they sit inside my helmet. I had to do some custom cutting and shaping of the ear cut-out spaces and allowing room for additional movement, I tried again with better "center of ear" position and AHAA, success. Seriously, this was an entirely new world of sound and clarity. They have worked in all conditions and highway speeds for several years.
Your speaker positioning may be worth another evaluation and many helmets have many differing slots relative to your ears. Good Luck
I can echo this: not only the positioning of the speakers in terms of centering them on your ear, but two other things as well:

- Closeness of the speaker to your ear. These speakers need to be close-coupled to your ear, so get them as close as physically possible - but without actually touching your ears (which will cause painful hot spots after an hour or so). If they are not close, you will end up with a tinny sound, with no bass.

- Sealing of the back of the speaker. Make sure when installed, the back of the speaker is not open to the same space as the front of the speaker. Seal it well so that air (i.e. sound) from the back of the speaker cannot mix with sound from the front of the speaker. Doing so will enhance the overall sound quality and bass response.

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Post by ksdalet » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:01 am

Placement of speakers is critical as well as the microphone. Always be sure it is turned toward you. Sometime the speaker get turned outward and then no one can hear you. :)

csharon1
Motorcycle: Honda Gold Wing 1800, Honda VTX1300

Post by csharon1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 am

I purchased a Sena Freewire, and a Sena 20S Evo, and the local dealer (Cycle Gear) helped me with install. Everything was checked out and working before I departed the store. I can now listen to my on board CB, Radio, Weather station, Cell Phone with calling capability, and an Aux unit of my choice. It was a bit costly, but with my Military discount was affordable. As soon as I talk my buddies into getting the 20S Evo, we will be able to talk between riders, up to 8 can connect at a time. So I'm now a happy rider. I also moved the front 5 Pin Jack inside the left cubby hole of a box on the Gold Wing, and nothing is showing, that was a very easy fix.

What ever you purchase, make sure that the dealer helps install, and that you are happy before you leave the store, if not don't purchase, I've wasted way too much money on items I was unhappy with, no more! Wish I had all my money back, I would be rich today, LOL.

Rockdog
Motorcycle: 2002 honda goldwing gl1800.... 1978 gl1000

Post by Rockdog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Good day to you fine people...I recently bought a 2002 GL1800… I also purchased the Sidici Sistema modular helmets for me and my wife… I did not want to use the wired headsets… So I ended up purchasing the Sena 20s dual package from cycle gear and had them install them. ..thay seemed to be a little on the quiet side....they worked just fine but quiter then I thought they would be with my helmet on and riding down the road...also bike is stock everything..so not loud at all.... Wife and I took a 4 hour ride ... l developed a hot spot on my hole forehead....sidici helmet not a bad helmet but realized not the right shape for my head.....ended up purchasing a new helmet… I bought a scorpion EXO 920 shuttle helmet.....$229… I like the fluorescent yellow… When I had the Sena 20s switched over from the sidici The install guy said the scorpions seemed like they were made for the Sena units... The speaker cut outs are same size as speakers… Did not know it at the time but the position of the hole for the speaker cut outs on the old helmet was different then the scorpion… Ended up the scorpion helmet holes lined ride up with my ears… Oh my god what a difference in sound quality and of coarse not quiet anymore… In fact it was too loud for my taste… I always have to turn them down at least one turn of the dongle wheel .... so with my experience with the Sidici helmets they aren't a bad helmet just not as good as the Scorpion... speakers were in the right position to do what they're supposed to… Also airflow is way better in the scorpion… sidici has no airflow I don't care what they say… It has NO airflow... The scorpion on warm days I open the visor one click and open the vents… That does a real good job while I'm riding… so far with the windshield on low setting and my visor open one notch I have not had any bugs or bees mainly bees not get into my helmet… Works perfect… When I come to a stop at a light or slow down to under 25 miles an hour I open my helmet all the way with the modular up… Works awesome… My wife does the same thing sometimes ....by the way her sidici helmet fit just fine and she likes it so she kept it..if that doesn't work or help you may have to go after that louder exhaust system you have on your bike.. OK then there's my story and I'm sticking to it… That's my experience with the two helmets that I've had… Sorry for rambling and thanks for listening… Have a good day

FreeSwede
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Post by FreeSwede » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 am

Rockdog: Thanks very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience; it is all particularly relevant because your experience has been with the very same brand names that we have been struggling with ...... er ..... trying out ! We appreciate all your info about helmet fit and how to handle the "heat" at slower speeds and stops ..... and alignment of speakers to the ears, so much we are still working on to get right. We never encountered Scorpion helmets at all in our shopping. Too bad. I know the Sedici that your wife chose to keep is a modular helmet, but is your Scorpion a modular or a full-face? What is your take on those super expensive (to us) Shoei helmets. They did seem to be the most comfortable just putting them on in the store .... but oh, that $700 price! We would also really appreciate knowing more about why you chose the Sena 20 over the Sena 10, and if you also purchased that additional "box" (I can't ever remember the name of it)) that costs about $250 and somehow integrates the wireless system in your helmet with the wired system built into the bike. Do you use your CB radio through the SENA 20 ? And does the "multi-task" or "mesh" function work well, where the music is supposed to "dim" itself automatically when you start talking? 'Sorry to ask you so many more questions, but we really appreciate your help.

Rockdog
Motorcycle: 2002 honda goldwing gl1800.... 1978 gl1000

Post by Rockdog » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Your very welcome for the info.. regardless of the hotspot from the sedici the cycle gear guy said that I could figure out about where my ears set in the helmet and cut speaker pockets to get them closer to hear them better.......to me that just compromises the internal cushion stuff that helps protect my head so I was not going to go that way…so basically that helmet was my... er... tying out helmet also... the scorpion EXO 920 helmet is a style of helmet they don't have in the shop.... they have to order it through their store website… You can look up the styles and colors through the cycle gear website… Yes it is a modular helmet … With also a shaded drop down visor on the inside just like the sedici has.......awesome!!!!!!so it works just like the sedici as far as slowing down and opening the modular up at lights...the Shoei helmets are the bees knees as far as I'm concerned..... I would love to own one of those modular helmet but like you said for $700 I don't think so… They're beyond my budget… but hey if I won the lottery I'd buy a lot of things that I couldn't afford… The Sena 20s.... they had a clearance sale on them and I got the dual pack for just at $300… They were on sale for 329 and they had a bike appreciation day for another 10% off on anything in the store so I got a screaming deal on them… basically bought it so me and my wife could talk back-and-forth instead of using the wired mics and all that that connect to the bike.... I don't want to be wired to a bike… My bike does not have the CB unit in it so I didn't have to worry about that… I know that I can hook up to eight other Bluetooth units including mine in that eight compared to I think four with the 10s... i'm not to technically smart so as far as I've gotten is I can talk to my wife and when I'm alone I can Bluetooth music to my helmet from my phone.....the wife got it to work talking to me and listening to her music off of her phone a couple of times… Worked fine for her… she said music cut out and she could hear me and then it would start playing again after we stop talking ... so she was pretty happy … As far as the 10 S over The 20 S… I just got lucky on when I purchased it because it was on sale and 10% off that one day… otherwise I probably would've got the 10 S because it was cheaper without the sale… The little box that you hook up to your motorcycle for all the extras that hook up to it from your bike and then get Bluetooth connection with the other motorcycle riders out there with Bluetooth that you're riding with I didn't think about it because I really wanted the head gear Bluetooth unit … Because I have a 78 Honda Gold wing that I like to ride with the wife sometimes also… I hope that this answers some more of your questions and if you have anymore I will be glad to respond and share info… I have learned so much from this site it's ridiculous… It's nice to be able to share some of my knowledge that I've gained

gobur1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by gobur1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:02 am

My wife and I ride with Arai open face helmets with the wired J&M Elite headsets installed. The sound is great, but the addition of ear plugs makes a HUGE difference! They cut the road and wind noise drastically, while still allowing music and conversation. Give it a try. It's a very inexpensive fix as compared to replacing the sound system.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Rockdog wrote: ‚ÜĎ
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:43 pm
Your very welcome for the info.. regardless of the hotspot from the sedici the cycle gear guy said that I could figure out about where my ears set in the helmet and cut speaker pockets to get them closer to hear them better.......to me that just compromises the internal cushion stuff that helps protect my head so I was not going to go that way…
The last two Arai helmets that I have bought had pockets already cut out in the EPS inner layer for speakers. You just remove the cover for the side piece, pull the pre-cut piece of soft foam away, put the speaker in, put the cover back on, and it's done - and correctly positioned.

FreeSwede
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Post by FreeSwede » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks much to WingAdmin (again) and to gobur1 for additional important pieces to this puzzle /problem / challenge. Freeswede

prtfndr
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500
1995 Pacific Coast

Post by prtfndr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:56 am

I just put the Sena 20s evo in my helmets, I like the fact they are wireless and go with you and are not tethered to the motorcycle. It snycs to our cell phones so we can both listen to music at the same time we have communication between rider and passenger and we can pick up calls with the touch of a button! It also has a FM radio function I like as well!

FreeSwede
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Post by FreeSwede » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks for your input, prtfndr. It came at a good time, as we have been wavering about turning in our Sena 20s and getting the Sena 10s. The SENA 20s seem kind of complicated to operate.