Additional Lights - Need to be seen

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
chads920
Motorcycle: 93 1500A Gold Wing - Champion Trike
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)
90 Bunkhouse tent trailer (sold)
2016 Bunkhouse tent trailer

Additional Lights - Need to be seen

Post by chads920 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 pm

I am thinking I need MORE lights up front and have considered the addition of an LED 'yellow' type fog light to ogment the LED head light and LED cornering lights installed this Winter.
There are two light bar options, a wide bar which situates the lights just inside the grips and a narrow bar above the front tire below the headlight but and this is where I seek your opinion and or experiences, which one would be more effective?

Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560
Member of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 227, Legion Rider Unit member

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: Additional Lights - Need to be seen

Post by wilmo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I use the option 2 light bar on the fairing just below the headlight. This one gives the triangle effect. My LED's are brighter than the headlight on high beam. I believe the additional lights are doing what they were intended for-people notice.

chads920
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)

Post by chads920 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Lights are good more lights are better I agree... what about colour, is a yellow (fog type) more noticeable?
Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:31 am

A headlight modulator works better than all the choices you have stated so far. And don't worry about someone thinking you are going to pass them by flashing your headlight. Modulators are way faster than you can do it.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:50 am

Remember though, you can be lit up like the Fourth of July, but if they don't LOOK-they won't see you!

chads920
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)

Post by chads920 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am

Roger that! New enforcement or rather a greater focus on/ of the window tinting laws as they pertain to vehicle side windows has been announced here in British Columbia. I seems that the distracted drive law has caused some to find ways around the scrutiny by police by darkening their side windows. This action (darkening) makes it very difficult to determine if the driver at the intersection has seen you. I think that we should have a means to transmit a signal to surrounding vehicles that would interrupt their cell phones, when in close proximity, thus getting their attention. Just a thought...
BBM - PIN 24DF1560

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 am

I have also been thinking of "lighting it up" just to make myself more visible to wake up drivers to my presents.

I have done the following:
Led fog lights in the lower cowl
Wiring to make the rear spoiler brake light a running light
Wiring to make the running light between the turn signals a brake light.

That is a vast improvement to the rear I am thinking about more especially from the sides. I am thinking about installing the following:
Clear/white drl's in the turn signal housings
Replace the orange reflectors on the caliper covers with led running lights
Installing a orange/yellow roundell in the "Honda" emblem on the side.
Replacing the headlights with LED replacement bulbs
Maybe replacing the turn signals bulbs with LEDs

Nothing too much just a little something to get noticed. Tell me what you think.

Ride safe
Scooter

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am

I've run LEDs in the side vent grills, added LED running lights under the headlight, put LEDs in all of the side reflectors, added under bike lighting for at night, and changed all the rear lights to LEDs, as well as having the lights in the lowers on all of the time. In talking to cagers, the biggest improvement has been the headlight modulator. It's not looking like a Shriners bike, but I'm pretty sure I can be seen-if they look!

chads920
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)

Post by chads920 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 am

Having a Trike has the benefit of having more rear lights. The stock trunk lights function as per and the trike body has a good display so the combined effect is good. I did replace bulbs to get brighter display and I think I've done as much as I can with that. I do like the idea of side lighting and will look into that.
I floated the idea of a 'signal interrupter', the possibility of broadcasting our presents to those individuals that feel entitled to use their cel phones while in cotrol of a motor vehicle. With the electronics capability of most newer vehicles these days there must be a means (programming algorithm) by which sensors and communicate with other vehicles. Vehicle to vehicle identification such as used by aircraft (friendly vs foe) allowing us to be seen and identified. A module (activated as necessary) could be attached to our MC's which would emit a signal out to 100 ft (covering off a typical intersection). I should talk to Blackberry's QNX software developer as they have the majority of 'Infomat car systems ' in European and North American vehicles. They may be interested...
BBM - PIN 24DF1560

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Scooter363y wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 am
I have also been thinking of "lighting it up" just to make myself more visible to wake up drivers to my presents.

I have done the following:
Led fog lights in the lower cowl
Wiring to make the rear spoiler brake light a running light
Ride safe
Scooter
I disagree with you here, and here is what I did. The rear of my bike has the factory running lights, BUT when I hit the brakes, the spoiler lights up too, giving a NEW light that was not there a second ago.
I may be wrong, but when I did this, it seams like people behind me saw me better with this set up.

Hunk about it, when all the lights are lit all the time, you have three rows of lights, you hit the brakes and yeah, they all get brighter, but nothing really grabs your attention. Now you take the running section off the spoiler, making it a brake only like mine, and running down the road, you have two rows of light (trunk & saddlebags) and when the brakes are applied, three rows, a change that grabs your attention all the sudden.

Like I said, this is just my opinion that so far has worked for me, and not a proven FACT, but I will keep my spoiler as a brake light only for now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 pm

You can't go wrong with a few more lights all around!
As far as the rear of the bike goes... there are also units that will initially flash your tail lights when you apply the brakes and then stay on steady. This is a good attention-getter.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am

chads920 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 am
I floated the idea of a 'signal interrupter', the possibility of broadcasting our presents to those individuals that feel entitled to use their cel phones while in cotrol of a motor vehicle.
There are cell phone jammers available, that are completely illegal to use anywhere, and I've heard people talk about having them on their bikes to get people to stop using their cell phones nearby.

The thing is, apart from being very illegal to use, I think they would have the opposite effect. Think about it: people are on their cell phones, all of a sudden their call drops. You've gone from them paying partial attention to the outside world to zero attention, as they focus all of their attention on their phone trying to figure out what happened, and reconnect their call, or re-send the failed text message, etc. You would end up riding in a bubble inside which almost every driver suddenly starts paying 100% attention to their cell phone. Not exactly what you're aiming for...

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:47 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am
... You've gone from them paying partial attention to the outside world to zero attention, as they focus all of their attention on their phone trying to figure out what happened, and reconnect their call, or re-send the failed text message, etc...
Not exactly what you're aiming for...
A frighteningly accurate possibility! Unfortunately, the majority of the offenders know they should not be on the phone but do it anyway. I caught the attention of a woman (thirty something in appearance) chatting away. I made the motions of "HANG UP THE PHONE" and she appeared to mouth the words " I know" as she continued driving away. Sadly, for some, the message wont get through until the damage is done.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 am

I saw a video recently where a guy on a bike was rear-ended by a girl texting on her phone. She gets out and is traumatized, crying, promising that she will NEVER text again, etc...police come, all the rest of it. The bike is damaged, but rideable. The girl gets ticketed.

After all the legal dealings are finished, they leave, and the guy on the bike comes up next to the same girl down the road not two minutes later...looks over at her, and there she is, driving, on her phone, texting.

There's just no hope.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:36 pm

About 7 years ago, I was at a Northern BC GoldWing weekend . I met a guy selling lights for w\Wings .. I had thought about " extra " lights so I asked to see his 1500 Wing .
He had on this 1500 :
2 fog, 2 driving lights ,super bright headlight with a modulator, Ring-of-fire , Fork lights, a huge pair of air horns , side saddlebag LED lighting , high and low rear king lights , with a " Back-off" module on the top box LED and upper red brake lights .. as well as a cute under the windshield LED strip that lit up the eagle on his engraved windshield, both on the carving and around the edge.....

wow !!! ( especially the huge Mack Truck air horns !!)

I was amazed ...

I asked , " Does all that help ? "

He looked at me carefully and replied , " No. "
" I had a guy pull out right in front of me last month, and looked right thru me, looking for the truck . "

so... Ride like you're invisible. Because to some cagers... you are !!

SilverDave

Kevin Ball
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Post by Kevin Ball » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:30 am

seelyark1 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:31 am
A headlight modulator works better than all the choices you have stated so far. And don't worry about someone thinking you are going to pass them by flashing your headlight. Modulators are way faster than you can do it.
Unfortunately in the UK modulated headlamps are illegal except for emergency service vehicles

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 pm

SilverDave wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:36 pm
I asked , "Does all that help ?"
He looked at me carefully and replied , "No".
So this guy sells lights for GoldWings, has his GoldWing adorned with extra lighting, when asked if they help his reply was "No"

Shame you did not ask him why then did he sell them, and why then he had the extra forward facing lights.

Stupid in MO to tell a biker forward facing daytime running lights do not help.

How could he say if, or how many times his extra forward facing daytime running lights have prevented someone pulling out in front of him, or even saved his life. Could have been several times every time he has took it, or will take it out onto the road.

I like to be seen.

The halo (or angel eye) rings on the lower cowl and Dominator fogs are so bright it looks like they have extremely bright bulbs. Both sets of fogs are turned off. The DRL's are wired via a N/C relay, to switch off the DRL's when I turn on the headlights. The DRL's on the cowl fogs are CFL and have since been replaced with the same type of rings as the Dominators.

Above the headlights are side emitting LED's
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

SidAbma
Motorcycle: 1985 GoldWing LE

Post by SidAbma » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 pm

My headlight modulator quit on me last week. Any suggestions?
When I bought his bike it also had a rear brake light modulator that is still working. I have people coming to me at the traffic lights telling me my 4 way flashers are on. They noticed, and I like it. I even put a modulator on my motorhome with LED light.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:08 am

That reminds me of what I really wanted.

A Yosemite Sam "back off" rear mudflap where his guns light up with the brake lights!

Now that's cool!

Ride safe
Scooter