New tires and average cost to buy and mount

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dickdanger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

New tires and average cost to buy and mount

Post by Dickdanger » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Today my rear tire went flat while on a ride, my question is it smart to replace both front and rear tires at the same time? Also any recommendations on which tires are best for price, performance and ride. Thanks

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: New tires and average cost to buy and mount

Post by redial » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:07 am

That is like asking: "How long is my piece of string?"

There are as many answers as there are people riding mc. Everyone has a view and an opinion. Take your pick.

How much wear is there? On both the front and the rear, that will determine if they need replacing. Some people like the Dunflops 4, others prefer other brands. I prefer Michelins or Avons, they both have features to recommend them.[color]
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:13 am

I only replace the one that needs it, why throw away a tire with good tread?

But, if you are preparing for a long vacation and lots of miles, maybe 2 new tires would make sense.

I just installed an Avon RoadRider 130/70R-18 rear tire on the front of my 1800

the rear tire is a Michelin RF ZP and it will be good for many years for me.
~John

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Depends on the amount of tread remaining and on your riding plans for the summer.

As far as what kind of tire, you'll get different opinions from just about everyone. I have a pair of Dunlop 4's on my motorcycle right now; about 8000 miles in and they both still look really good.

Dickdanger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by Dickdanger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks to all for the input, I went with the Dunlop Elite 4's for both front and rear.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:14 am

It depends on the condition of the tires that are on the bike now.

I always error on the side of caution concerning anything that is going to affect the safety of my ride.

I installed a set of Dunlop 4's on my bike at about 4-5 k miles along with centramatic wheel balancers. It made a huge improvement in the comfort and handling of my bike. I have about 14 k miles on the bike now and have plenty of tread still left on the tires.

I would say I spent in the neighborhood of $350 for both tires. Of course installation cost will depend on how much work you are willing to do yourself.

Ride safe
Scooter

Choctaw
Motorcycle: GL 1800 Gold Wing

Post by Choctaw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Got a screw in my rear tire last week. Plugged it and just riding around town until my new Bridgestones arrive. The pair of Bridgestones costed $314.99 with free shipping. Labor to install them here locally is $150 each, do that math and holy cow! So my father in law has a motorcycle lift so I'm still going to get charged $50-$70 just to mount them after we take both wheels off the bike and bring them in to get put on the rims and balanced. We will do the labor of removing and installing the tires back on the bike I do look forward to working with my father-in-law on this project though because I think I'll ask him if we can install the back off lights I have also.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:35 pm

forget the balance weights, use Dyna Beads and they will remain balanced for the life of the tire.
and with beads of any brand, they will NOT cup out providing you keep them aired to max tpsi.

I run 44 psi front and rear for m/c tires....

My E3 which was just removed, was worn down to the cords almost and no cupping in evidence with Dyna Beads.

~John