First long ride

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

First long ride

Post by DarthJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am

Well, my first long ride in one direction. Have had 300 mile days, but always ended up back home. My gal has a conference in San Antonio and I decided to ride the Wing over there (a little past 500 miles) as she was originally taking a county vehicle and while I could go, I would not be allowed to drive due to liability (I go nuts if I can't drive at all)

So, currently getting her ready, rear tire has plenty of tread, but checked the date code and it's old, at 8 years now. Ordered both as the front is low on tread, it probably has enough, but may as well change them as a pair. Going to flush the clutch and brakes (fluid is inexpensive, so why not) may as well change the rear drive oil and have already changed air, cruise and sub filters, plus did the oil already. Just need to order a RAM mount for my phone.

You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Re: First long ride

Post by C-dub » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:48 pm

DarthJ wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am
Well, my first long ride in one direction. Have had 300 mile days, but always ended up back home. My gal has a conference in San Antonio and I decided to ride the Wing over there (a little past 500 miles) as she was originally taking a county vehicle and while I could go, I would not be allowed to drive due to liability (I go nuts if I can't drive at all)

So, currently getting her ready, rear tire has plenty of tread, but checked the date code and it's old, at 8 years now. Ordered both as the front is low on tread, it probably has enough, but may as well change them as a pair. Going to flush the clutch and brakes (fluid is inexpensive, so why not) may as well change the rear drive oil and have already changed air, cruise and sub filters, plus did the oil already. Just need to order a RAM mount for my phone.
I don't go completely nuts if I can't drive, but I understand. For me it all depends on how much I trust the person's driving for whom I'm the passenger.

Good call on the RAM mount. I put an X-grip on my Wing a couple months ago and it has been great. One warning, though, now that it's warmed up, be careful about having that phone out in direct sunlight. I didn't run into any issues, but the thought occurred to me a couple weeks ago back when we were still in the 90's that being in direct sunlight might be a little much for it. I touched it and WOW was it hot. I've heard iPhone's have issues when they get too hot and I didn't try using it then and just slipped it back into my pocket as soon as I could to get it out of the sun. So, be careful having it out like that especially since it's even hotter now than it was only a couple weeks ago and you're coming from El Paso.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

good point. What I'll probably do is have my GPS unit from my truck for when it gets too sunny ( Have a RAM mount for it already, just need a base plate, I can use a portable battery to charge it) and use the phone early. For music, I'm using my old iPhone that I keep just to use as an iPod, I already have it tied in and I love it.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

Choctaw
Motorcycle: GL 1800 Gold Wing

Post by Choctaw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Enjoy your ride Darthj!

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Have a safe ride DarthJ! I’ve been working in New Braunfels for the past year and the heat is here. Lots of good riding in the Hill Country.
I haven’t brought the bike to New Braunfels because I can be home in 2 1/2 hours, but it’s really tempting. My son has his here and he and some of the guys from work ride on the weekends.
Again, safe travels.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 pm

I'm going on a 450 mile day trip tomorrow from Arlington, WA to Long Beach, WA back home to Arlington, WA. That will definitely be my longest trip since getting this motorcycle. When I got that flat on the freeway earlier this week it made me panic a little about getting it fixed in time, this trip has been planned for weeks. I'm so excited!
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 22,872 miles and counting as of June 27, 2018!

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Safe travels Stew. Good to know you have a new back tire.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:53 am

Hope y'all have fun on your trips. I have done 1000 in one, several times, but its been awhile. Also been coast to coast a few times, twice on BMW airheads, and once on a 1993 GL1500. Long ago, I learned about AirHawk seat cushions, and never go anywhere without one on the bike, no matter what I am riding.

Not sure if folks here are familiar with AirHawk, but there is nothing else to compare. It was designed, maybe 30 years ago, by a medical supply company. They also made cushions and mattress tops for wheel chair and bed bound folks, to avoid getting sores. If you ever try one, you'll probably never settle for anything else again.

With the recently acquired 2008 GL1800, I quickly discovered I needed to transfer the AirHawk over to it, from the Harley. LOL