Newby Here, With New-To-Me 2008 GL1800

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Newby Here, With New-To-Me 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Greetings,
After lurking for a few weeks here, I registered a few days ago, but believe this is my first post. Two weeks ago, I bought a 2008 Goldwing with 9600 miles on it, have since rode it 1900 miles, and am liking it more with each passing mile.

Reading the many tech threads here and elsewhere, it seems popular to "upgrade" the suspension. But I have not yet found any problems, so do not plan to touch anything till at least 10,000 miles down the road. As is, it is a bit harsh, whether pre-load is set at 25 or zero. With my 170 pounds, it never bottoms, even when set on zero. With my 170 pound son as passenger, when set to 20, it does not bottom on even the worst road dips. I figure the bike is still breaking in, so maybe it will loosen up eventually. But as is, firmness and damping are more than adequate.

I understand also, new Progressive springs, front and/or rear will firm the suspension even more, and will set the bike 1-2" higher. Neither of those currently appeal to me, since it is already firm, and I like the way it sits now. With a 32" inseam, I can sit flat footed which is more comfortable, than if I were tip-toeing. I love the low CG, which makes the 900 pounds feel less.

I also read it is popular to disable the ADV, but cannot understand the benefit of doing so. I read somewhere, the ADV makes the suspension too harsh under braking. I read elsewhere, disabling it only effects one side, and only leaves the other side to do the work of both sides. I just cannot see the benefit of disabling the system. I like that it does not pitch forward, under hard braking, as most other bikes I've owned did.

I have been riding since 16, about 50 years now, have owned about 15 motorcycles, and ridden maybe half a million miles. Two of the bikes were GL1500s, which I rode about 60,000 miles, cumulative. Others include: six Harleys 1952-1986, a 1947 Indian Chief, a mid-60s Honda 305 Dream, a 1975 Motoguzzi, a 1993 Yamaha Venture Royale, four BMWs, 1978-1988, and a few others I have forgotten, I am sure.

So maybe I am just not expecting as much from the GL1800, but so far, no disappointments. I like the power, but it very predictable and controllable. The bike has new E4s, but I plan to go to the darkside as soon as the rear tire wears out. Hopefully, that will be this summer, as I have several trips planned on this Goldwing.

Thanks for letting me join this newsgroup, I have enjoyed it so far, and look forward to getting to know y'all better, with time.

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Re: Newby Here, With New-To-Me 2008 GL1800

Post by TwoTone Trike » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:26 am

Welcome to the forum. I assure you that if you ever need a question answered or help with a problem there are plenty of people here willing to assist you.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:01 am

Welcome lots of info here :D

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Joe, if the suspension is already firm enough for you, and you find it a bit harsh, perhaps the front springs have already been replaced. The rear suspension system on a bike with less than 10K miles should still be adequate. The main problem in the rear is when the preload ceases to function as designed. It has a plastic hose from the reservoir to the shock and after years of riding, it swells and thereby decreases the amount of oil available to operate. A new braided hose from Traxxion Dynamics fixes this when necessary, but that will likely be a while. If and when your anti dive decides to malfunction, you will probably know it, as the bike will tend to pogo stick after hitting a succession of bumps (like washboard) as the anti dive will not reset quickly enough. As you have springs in both sides of your front end, it will not result in only one side functioning if you disable it. Rather than disabling it, some riders have preferred to R&R it to get it back to like new functionality.

Happy to have you here on the forum, and enjoy your NTY motorcycle (that's New To You) With the mileage it had when you got it, it was a good find.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks viking,
That certainly clarifies a few things. Hopefully I have at least 10,000 miles before I have to worry about any of the above.

I have installed Progressive front springs in several BMWs and Harleys. Being progressive/variable rate, on those bikes they resulted in a butter smooth ride on good roads, but they firmed up quickly when needed, i.e. bumps, dips, pot holes, etc.. I do not recall them raising any of those bikes much, if any. Certainly never had to modify a kickstand on any of them.

I would not want to do anything to increase the straddle height on the GL1800. It feels much safer sitting flat footed.
Thanks Again,
Joe H

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 pm

JoeHall wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:46 pm
Thanks viking,
That certainly clarifies a few things. Hopefully I have at least 10,000 miles before I have to worry about any of the above.

I have installed Progressive front springs in several BMWs and Harleys. Being progressive/variable rate, on those bikes they resulted in a butter smooth ride on good roads, but they firmed up quickly when needed, i.e. bumps, dips, pot holes, etc.. I do not recall them raising any of those bikes much, if any. Certainly never had to modify a kickstand on any of them.

I would not want to do anything to increase the straddle height on the GL1800. It feels much safer sitting flat footed.
Thanks Again,
Joe H
I installed front Progressive springs on my 2009, and did not get any higher, and I have heard that only the rear spring from Progressive will raise the bike. Traxxion Dynamics front springs on the other hand are known to give some extra height, and the rear will lift from 1 1/2 to 2 inches, so I would think that for you, Traxxion may not be your choice, but the Progressives, if they raise the front not at all, and the rear only an inch, would not present any problems. I have over 50K miles on my 2009, and have not had to service/R&R the rear yet, so I think you are probably good for a bit.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey