Installed Electronic Deer Whistle

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Installed Electronic Deer Whistle

Post by JoeHall » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Today, I received the, "Hornet" electronic deer whistle in the mail. Since Kentucky sometimes seems like one large wildlife reserve, I mounted it right away. I did not go to the trouble of hiding the wires very well, because I wanted to test it out a bit first.

Not sure if the Hornet will run a deer off, but it may run me off the bike. It produces a very annoying, steady, shrill whistle, kinda like a fluorescent bulb that is going bad. I thought I had lost all high frequency hearing decades ago in the Marine Corp, but apparently I still have some left. Not sure I can stand having this thing turned on while riding down the road. As is, sitting in the driveway idling, the GL1800's motor does nothing to drown out the annoying, shrill sound. I will give a try going down the road soon, but I hope it doesn't trigger a migraine. LOL

JoeHall

Re: Installed Electronic Deer Whistle

Post by JoeHall » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:16 pm

My daughter is a violinist, gifted with perfect pitch. She listened to the Hornet and pronounced it, "definitely a B". We came into the house and she tapped a B key on the piano, and it sounded like a chop of the noise the Hornet makes, except it is incessant. Obviously I am not a musician, but for the musicians here, that should give an idea of what it sounds like.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 pm

If you can hear it, it probably will not bother the deer. Deer hear from 115 Hz to 58 KHz. My idea of deer whistles was that they are above the frequency that humans can hear. Maybe I am incorrect, as electronic deer whistles were tested and found to be in the range of 280 Hz and up, which is quite low in frequency. It appears you have obtained a deer whistle which is described as a "Pure Sound" device. Studies in Georgia of these pure sound devices produced the following results:

Discouraging Results

Based upon the observed response of 319 deer, the researchers concluded the pure tones did not alter deer behavior in such a way as to prevent deer-vehicle collisions. In other words, the simulated sounds of deer whistles were no more effective than no sound at all.

Overall, 54 percent to 71 percent of the observations were classified as neutral, meaning more than half the time deer did not alter their behavior in response to the test vehicle. Only the lowest frequency tested (.28 kHz) produced a significant response. And that was unfavorable, because deer were more likely to enter the roadway in response to the treatment.

Unlike some deer whistles, all sound frequencies tested were known to be audible to deer. Therefore, given the lack of deer response, the investigators suggest the following:
1. Deer may have too little time to react as desired.
2. Deer may lack the neurological ability to process the alarm information efficiently to respond as desired, or
3. Deer might not recognize the sounds as threatening.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Yes, the older static deer whistles that didn't make any noise were not something that I would add to my vehicles because they seemed to be designed for one purpose, to drain your wallet. True, it didn't drain it by much but it was still a drain.

They are similar to the supposed red light tripping magnets. They were marketed to motorcyclists with the claim that they would make the light sensor in the ground at the stop line see your motorcycle. They didn't work either and they just drained your wallet, but at least neither item was annoying nor did they audibly remind you that you had made a purchasing error.

This latest item, the electronic deer whistle drains your wallet AND is annoying to both you and anyone around you. I think the annoying noise is just another way the marketer and seller of the product can remind you, and those around you, that they took your money.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

JoeHall

Post by JoeHall » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:05 am

Viking, you are killing me. Only wish I'd read your referenced research about a week and $100 ago. LOL. I have a test of my own planned. There's a doe that comes out on the same grassy knoll to eat, every eve at dusk, for the last 2-3 weeks. She seldom even raises her head when I go by, about 50 yards from her on the GW. I wanna see how she reacts when I ride by with the Hornet on. If no response, I will probably just toss the Hornet when I get back home.

Mike, I agree on the older static whistles, but had hopes for the Hornet. On the other hand, I used the motorcycle belly magnet for years on airhead BMW boxers, because they worked. The airheads weighed under 500 pounds, if memory serves. I could sit at a light all day and it would never turn green, till a larger vehicle came along. I installed them on bottom of the oil pan, which was as close to the ground as possible, and pull up so the belly of the bike was directly above the metal strip in the pavement, if visible. I rode airhead Beemer airheadss over 200,000 miles, and a K1100LT for 25,000 or so; the magnet would trip the light about 90 percent of the time, but that was just my experience. I seldom had to worry about tripping the light with larger bikes, and this GL1800 trips them every time.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 am

low frequencies are useless, the bike will out run the sound waves.

and the small diameter of the whistle makes the Sound Output Power so trifling as to be negligible.

It takes a lot of power to create low frequencies, ala Train Horns which we hear at my home several times an hour, 24/7.

so, if it is not above human hearing, it is useless, and an irritant as mentioned already.

the biggest advantage to any of them, regardless of technology, is to drain our wallets and fatten the vendor's bank account.

I used to work in the northwest corner of Utah, and between the months of Oct '78 and Mar '79, my 1 ton work truck with Koenig utility packs on it killed a whole slew of deer.... and it had deer whistles mounted all over it, a bunch of them. Totally useless.
~John

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:32 am

Ask yourself, If this thing works and disturbs the deer, which direction is it going to run? No thanks I choose to let them continue to feed.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 am
low frequencies are useless, the bike will out run the sound waves.
Not unless you have one of those new Mach 1 bikes! :) Sound propagates through air at the same speed regardless of frequency. :)

I think what you're saying is that low frequencies require more energy to produce and register at a given intensity at a specific distance than do high frequencies. So to make a loud, low-frequency sound requires a lot of power. There's a reason why sirens are high frequencies - they propagate further and require less power (and size) to produce.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Speaking anecdotally, the only experience I've had was following a fellow with one of these electronic deer-deterrent devices. A deer bolted out from the side of the road, appeared to notice the sound of the device, and screeched to a halt dead in front of him....and cocked its head to the side, like it was...puzzled.

As the expression goes, it was a "sub-optimal" result. Thankfully, he was able to veer around the deer, but it's certain the sound emitted didn't chase it off!

Coming from an area where deer strikes are (literally) a daily occurrence, my advice would include:

1) staying away from bushy shoulder areas (keep as far out into the road as possible, to give yourself maneuvering room if one darts out);

2) acknowledge that there's NO SUCH THING as "one deer". They travel together so, if you see one, it's not the only one just waiting to dart out into your path;

3) watch the behavior of drivers ahead of you, especially brief but unexplained flashes of brake lights - if someone sees a deer, but judges they're safe, they'll just carry on at speed...but that brief flash of brake lights may be just the alert you need;

4) if you SEE a deer on the side of the road ahead, BRAKE!!!!! You can NOT assume it will stand there until you pass - don't go past a deer at any speed you're not comfortable falling down at.

5) deer are a "transition species" - they prefer dense bush or forest (for safety) adjacent to a wide-open area (like a road) for flight. Any area that this describes is preferred by deer - and any perceived threat will cause them to bolt INTO the "open area" (i.e., the road) and NOT away from it;

6) deer are most active just before dawn & just after sunset, when they're most actively moving around to feed (they can be seen any time of day, but they're most active as above).

I'm sure there are lots of other ideas, but these are my daily observations.

For the record, I had two close calls with deer on the highway on my way to work this morning. :shock:

JoeHall

Post by JoeHall » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 pm

This evening I took the GW out for about 50 miles, with the Hornet on all the way. I deliberately went past the knoll where the doe is often seen. This evening, she was about 1/10th mile down from where she usually is, standing at a guard rail, facing the road. I instinctively hit the brakes because she looked committed to stepping over the guard rail and into the road. I believe my braking startled her, because she turned and went the other direction; not running, but walking quickly. Another sighting was of a deer alongside the road, already trotting away, by the time I glimpsed it.

Both of the above deer were less than 20 yards from me, but it is difficult to determine if either of their movements were influenced by the Hornet. If so, it did not cause them to bolt and run away; possibly change direction, at best.

More field research is needed, and I hope to learn more. I definitely am not feeling any more secure with the Hornet, but hopeful it is not a total waste.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 am

You should try a wolf whistle. I read where wolves are the natural predators of deer. That would clear the area.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 am

Fiberthree wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 am
You should try a wolf whistle. I read where wolves are the natural predators of deer. That would clear the area.
Back in the 1950’s, “wolf whistles” were thought to attract pretty girls, too! Never knew that to work, either! :lol:

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:36 pm

My 1500 came to me with one of those electronic deer things.
I don't hear it, but my wife does.
One day I was following a buddy of mine on his rather loud Harley FXR.
We came to a stop sign and he turned around and yelled, "Turn that
damned thing off!!!"
I don't know if it works on deer, but it definitely works on Harleys.
LOL!!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 pm

I live in NW Montana, and we have deer on our roads and Hwy's like nobody's business.

A few years ago, I tried a different tactic when seeing them on the side of the roads. I would honk the horn in a series of pulses. I found that in doing this, the deer ran AWAY from the horn noise, while just holding the horn they either stood still or ran RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

To this day, when I see them on or near the road.......the horn-rattling method hasn't failed yet.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Same here, repetitive honks seem to scare them away most often.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers