Aftermarket Heated Grips

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Aftermarket Heated Grips

Post by JoeHall » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 pm

The 2008 GL1800 I recently bought has heated grips by, "Show Chrome". I never bothered to turn them on, but the first rain storm I got caught in, the grips came on by themselves, and stayed on. Operating the switch did nothing, so I pulled the fuse in order t turn them off. I believe the rain water got inside the switch and shorted it out. So I have no more use for the aftermarket switch, have bought an OEM switch, and plan to install it when it gets here. Hopefully it will be compatible with the aftermarket grips.

I have never had heated grips on a motorcycle, but like the idea. However, they must be weatherproof.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: Aftermarket Heated Grips

Post by minimac » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:43 am

A friend had similar heated grips. The same sort of thing happened to him,except he got blisters before figuring out to pull the fuse.

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Aftermarket Heated Grips

Post by JoeHall » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:59 am

Minimac,
Reading in the archives here, it looks like the Show Chrome heated grips are basically junk. Will give the grips a try with the OEM switch, but may have to go to another brand, or used OEM. If I decide later, I just cannot live without heated grips. Not sure that's gonna happen though. Still, it would a nice feature, I hope to retain.