Beware-credit card fraud

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Beware-credit card fraud

Post by minimac » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 am

I always thought this was something that happened to others, but not anymore. While Mrs. Mini is pretty vigilant watching our various accounts, we got a call from American Express questioning if we made a recent purchase. Long story(and many headaches later) it seems someone in the Denver area was having fun charging up a storm using my account number. Just a reminder to check your accounts often-don't wait for the statements to be mailed-and maybe you'll be saved from the problems we're having to go through.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: Beware-credit card fraud

Post by thrasherg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:53 am

we recently had a similar issue, someone in California got our credit card number and spent $500 on various women's clothing and makeup items. fortunately we spotted it and stopped the card after just 6 purchases, the bank has reimbursed us and issued new credit cards, still have no idea how someone in California got our details, we are in Texas and haven't been to California in years and have not purchased anything there in years!! check those statements carefully.

Gary

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 am

I have all of my bank transactions emailed to me for review, and I look at every one of them.

Even so, while I was on a big tour 2 years ago, I was not watching so close, and got a phone call the day I got home.
Some one from back in Georgia bought something from a store there for $500ish bux, a store that ran the sale up as "Card Not Presented".....

As I always enter my debit number, or my Zip Code if I don't trust the POS register people, that one came up as a "unusual for my habits" and the bank called me on it.... they then researched and found 4 more "card not presented" purchases..... they reversed them all, and sent me a new card.
~John

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 am

...Some one from back in Georgia bought something from a store there for $500ish bux, a store that ran the sale up as "Card Not Presented".....
Sounds like the employee of the merchant was not trained to reject the sale or could have been in on the fraud.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm

If you have Discover Card, you can sign up to have every charge sent to your cell phone as a text message, Amazing how fast the system works. My phone usually dings before I even get the card back into my billfold.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Identity theft is a crime that does not get investigated and no one gets prosecuted unless you are a big Japanese (go figure no less) corporation (Sony) who had their email system hacked a few years ago and everyone from Obama, CIA, FBI all got involved. Something wrong with that picture or is it me?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

woodsv
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Vetter dressed
1988 GL1500 Canadian Edition

Post by woodsv » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:24 pm

while in the Miami area 2 yrs ago with my wife and kids we were at a mall. my wife purchased something at a foot wear store and walked to the next store. as she attempted to pay for the another purchase at thatstore the cashiers phone rang. it was for me! my wife's card number was tagged as being used to buy electronic equipment in another state. they froze the account. I thought about it and ran back to the previousstore and asked for the manager and started the ball rolling. long long long story short.....the cashier at the first store recorded the card number and the 3 digit security number and passed it to somebody. within 10 minutes of doing that the card was used to purchase over a thousand dollars of stuff. we were covered by our card company tho. skeets are out there!!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 pm

suvcw04 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm
If you have Discover Card, you can sign up to have every charge sent to your cell phone as a text message, Amazing how fast the system works. My phone usually dings before I even get the card back into my billfold.
I have that feature turned on also.
get emails and Text messages... unfortunately the SMS messages is useless, it just says there was a charge, and does not say how much, nor the vendor. have to open the email anyway.

I finally disabled the SMS because vendors run stuff thru at midnight and it clears my credit union at all weird hours of the night and wakes me up......... so, no more SMS for me.
~John

Uptwobucks
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL

Post by Uptwobucks » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 am

I’ve been hit many times (7) over the past 8 yrs. It gets very frustrating really quick. My most recent (June 2018) was 229.00 of fried chicken in Chicago. Who in the hell buys 200.00 in fried chicken and why did the chicken place even allow it. Part of the theft I assume.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 pm
suvcw04 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm
I have that feature turned on also.
get emails and Text messages... unfortunately the SMS messages is useless, it just says there was a charge, and does not say how much, nor the vendor. have to open the email anyway.

I finally disabled the SMS because vendors run stuff thru at midnight and it clears my credit union at all weird hours of the night and wakes me up......... so, no more SMS for me.
My texts show the store name and exact amount. I turned off the email part because of the time lag. Yes, the unexpected DING from the phone makes me wonder who is charging stuff on my account?!?!?!?! Always turns out to be a legitimate charge from recurring accounts.