First time posters, say hello!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
76GL1000LTD
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000 LTD

Re: First time posters, say hello!

Post by 76GL1000LTD »

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:08 pm
Welcome! Is that snow in your garage???

My father went to RCMP basic training in Regina, and lived through a winter there as a result. He did not see the need to go back to experience that again. :)
Thank you. Yes, that is a bit of snow inside my garage. It was actually snowing again today, winter is not done yet, and yeah, I know what you mean, it can get cold here. I've been living here for 14 years now. My mother actually works at the RCMP Academy, not as police, but as staff.

~ Mykhaylo, aka Mike
1976 Honda GL1000 LTD - current
1994 Honda XR650L (first bike) - sold
1978 Suzuki GS1000 - sold
1982 Suzuki GS400L - wife's, sold
2016 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - totaled

keithzorn
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 Tour Hawkseye Blue Pearl
1979 GL 1000 Goldwing

Post by keithzorn »

Hello, just got my 2018 Tour, still also have a 1979 GL1000, first time posting, just saying hi!
2018 Goldwing tour.

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 »

keithzorn wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am
Hello, just got my 2018 Tour, still also have a 1979 GL1000, first time posting, just saying hi!
Congrats on the new GL1800, welcome to the forum from Southern Oregon
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

gabrielguitars
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (naked)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic “Stormtrooper”

Post by gabrielguitars »

Greetings, wingnuts! I’m probably going to receive death threats, but I picked up my first Wing this past summer, an 82 Aspencade with under 18k miles on the clock. It had all the matching bling, floorboards, lights, guards, covers, etc. Cosmetically not beautiful, with some fairing issues, semi-botched upgrades, etc. I’ve stripped everything off of it and am in the process of turning it into a big-boy’s standard/cafe racer bike. So far I’ve rebuilt the forks, powder coated the fork lowers black, added fork gaiters, clubman bars, new 7” headlight bucket, cafe seat. Will be replacing the gauges with an electronic deal that I’ll mount in the false tank, adding an LED strip for brake/tail/turn signals, maybe adding a low-profile bikini fairing. Please don’t hate! I just can’t keep things as they are, I need to create, and this seems like a great platform for a base. I have my huge Harley ‘geezer-glide’ that I ride to work, so this is going to be my ‘fun’ bike, so I can be a hooligan a bit.
Attachments

Zman457
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 SE

Post by Zman457 »

Hello from NE Indiana!
I have been a lurker for some time now gathering info so I could make a better informed purchase. I purchased my retirement ride in the fall of last year.
I retired in February from the Ft. Wayne Indiana Fire Dept with 24 1/2 years. Looking at the current situation our country is in, it looks as though I ducked out just in time. I know the Mrs. is glad I'm not putting my rear end on the line anymore. Don't tell her, but a part of me wishes I was still there doing what I could to help out. I suppose that feeling will never go away. Enough of that, onto the bike and retirement plans.
I purchased a one owner '96 SE with a matching '97 escapade trailer. The bike had 18k miles and owner was guessing about 500 miles on the trailer. I spent what little time I had last year on short local rides getting used to my new ride. This spring I have been busy changing fluids and filters. I am ready to start the process of pulling the wheels to install a set of Avon Cobra Chrome tires and brake pads if needed. The previous owner replaced the timing belts last year, so I can cross that off the list. The picture, not the best, was taken in my station the last shift I worked. It seemed appropriate that I ride it home.
The plan is for the Mrs. and I to start taking some extended weekend trips to get our feet wet in the motorcycle traveling world. Having the trailer will sure come in handy, given the way she tends to pack :lol:
I am in the process of putting a giveaway together so keep an eye out for it. It will be my way of saying thanks for all the great info that I have picked up.

Nice to officially meet ya'll.
Eric

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 »

Zman457 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 pm
Hello from NE Indiana!
I have been a lurker for some time now gathering info so I could make a better informed purchase. I purchased my retirement ride in the fall of last year.
I retired in February from the Ft. Wayne Indiana Fire Dept with 24 1/2 years. Looking at the current situation our country is in, it looks as though I ducked out just in time. I know the Mrs. is glad I'm not putting my rear end on the line anymore. Don't tell her, but a part of me wishes I was still there doing what I could to help out. I suppose that feeling will never go away. Enough of that, onto the bike and retirement plans.
I purchased a one owner '96 SE with a matching '97 escapade trailer. The bike had 18k miles and owner was guessing about 500 miles on the trailer. I spent what little time I had last year on short local rides getting used to my new ride. This spring I have been busy changing fluids and filters. I am ready to start the process of pulling the wheels to install a set of Avon Cobra Chrome tires and brake pads if needed. The previous owner replaced the timing belts last year, so I can cross that off the list. The picture, not the best, was taken in my station the last shift I worked. It seemed appropriate that I ride it home.
The plan is for the Mrs. and I to start taking some extended weekend trips to get our feet wet in the motorcycle traveling world. Having the trailer will sure come in handy, given the way she tends to pack :lol:
I am in the process of putting a giveaway together so keep an eye out for it. It will be my way of saying thanks for all the great info that I have picked up.

Nice to officially meet ya'll.
Eric
20190814_163909.jpg
Welcome to the forum, good looking GL1500 & trailer. Now that your retired you can put many more miles on that bike.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

gabrielguitars wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 am
Greetings, wingnuts! I’m probably going to receive death threats, but I picked up my first Wing this past summer, an 82 Aspencade with under 18k miles on the clock. It had all the matching bling, floorboards, lights, guards, covers, etc. Cosmetically not beautiful, with some fairing issues, semi-botched upgrades, etc. I’ve stripped everything off of it and am in the process of turning it into a big-boy’s standard/cafe racer bike. So far I’ve rebuilt the forks, powder coated the fork lowers black, added fork gaiters, clubman bars, new 7” headlight bucket, cafe seat. Will be replacing the gauges with an electronic deal that I’ll mount in the false tank, adding an LED strip for brake/tail/turn signals, maybe adding a low-profile bikini fairing. Please don’t hate! I just can’t keep things as they are, I need to create, and this seems like a great platform for a base. I have my huge Harley ‘geezer-glide’ that I ride to work, so this is going to be my ‘fun’ bike, so I can be a hooligan a bit.
It looks amazing! I've always been extremely wary of those tank-mounted brackets though - they seem to me to be designed as testicle removers in the event of a crash...

Pmc
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Post by Pmc »

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to say hi from Australia.
I've just purchased a 1979 GL1000 imported here from the USA. I'm planning to restore the bike and would appreciate anyone's help in locating a pair of fork ears (with the pins) for my bike.
Have a great day. :D

fflipski
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200

Post by fflipski »

Hello yall.

My name is Francois and I am a new owner of a 1984 GL1200 interstate. The bike frame, tires, brakes, cable lines, plastics and most of the electrical is really dirty but good. The Engine needs some love tho. I have a loud knock coming from the right side valve cover. Sounds like a piston is hitting a stuck valve but I haven't open her up yet to verify. Previous owner only had her less than a year and put only 80miles before the knocking started.

Here she is standing at her new home.

She Needs some love
She Needs some love

I have a short term and long term goal for her.

Short term. Clean her up . Get her road worthy. Engine needs fixing, rebuild suspension front and rear. fix a few cracks here and there in the plastics.

Yes, Tires are almost new ( 2018 dot date) and she shows 21000 miles , So maybe 121 or 221k miles. I don't believe it is 21000 only.

hyperfamilyman
Motorcycle: 1997 Aspencade

Post by hyperfamilyman »

Hello Everyone.
My name is Kevin and I reside just south of the beautiful Finger Lakes Region on NY.

Today I pulled the trigger and bought a 97 GL1500 Aspencade. It has 32K original miles. A little old lady drove it back and forth to church every week.

I pick it up from the dealer on Saturday and then I wait for the DMV to reopen to be able to ride it.

I have experience riding much smaller bikes, but this is by far the largest one I have ever rode. I figured with the low miles I should be good for many years to come before I need a new bike.

I am sure I will have many questions and hope to be a contributor to this site in the future.

urban
Motorcycle: Gl1800C 2016

Post by urban »

My name is Urban and I come from Germany, drive a Gl1800C F6C and my first Goldwing was a Gl1100, 1981, unfortunately my English is not so good. Greetings from Germany

Csfc
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a aspencade

Post by Csfc »

Hello all . Always wanted a Goldwing finally got one. 1983 gl1100 Aspencade. Very good condition running a little rough. 40000 miles. Going to have carbs cleaned.

bobsteinberg
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Post by bobsteinberg »

Hi. I've been reading some of the posts for years and don't recall ever having posted before. I'm riding a 2010 GL1800 (after having spent years on a 2002 version and had an '83 Aspencade before that). I have trouble changing the oil when the bike is on the centerstand and learned something to make it easier: I roll the front and rear tires onto a set of 1X6 squares of heavy wood shelving that I cut to fit together(2 under each wheel) & then use a 2X4 under the side stand. Once I get off the bike, I put a 2X4 under the centerstand and get the bike up onto that. This gives me enough room to work on the oil drain plug and the oil filter. Hope this helps someone. Ride safe.

highlander_ca
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Navi
1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by highlander_ca »

Hello folks, I have been a member for a few years and look forward to all of the information available on the site. I have an '82 Aspencade 1100 and a 2016 Navi. The aspy is in my garage waiting for a new coat of paint, it will be my daily driver with the 2016 for destination rides. I commute 100 miles a day and ride as much as possible. In Louisiana that's pretty much 12 months of riding, though I do try to avoid the thunderstorms. My wife wants a bright candy paint on it so any help with applying a rich candy red like the new bike colours on the plastic parts would be greatly appreciated. This site has been invaluable in keeping my bikes on the road and having the courage to take on a major rebuild. I rode over 20K miles last year on my Navi. the feature ride was down Hwy 1 to Key West Florida. This lockdown has scuttled a spring ride to the Tail of the Dragon area. Any recommendations about local hotels restaurants etc in that area would be greatly appreciated.
My wife and I settled near her home in Louisiana and are enjoying year round riding and grand kids.
Cheers
Jamie and Penny Johnston
Grand Bayou Louisiana

Asicr
Motorcycle: 2006 GW1800 Tour

Post by Asicr »

Hi guys, I'm new here.
My name is Deniel and I'm from North Bergen.
I'm the owner of 2006 GW1800 Tour.
BallisticParts - the best website

J Runge
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100B

Post by J Runge »

urban wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:17 am
My name is Urban and I come from Germany, drive a Gl1800C F6C and my first Goldwing was a Gl1100, 1981, unfortunately my English is not so good. Greetings from Germany
Hi Urban
I'm from Denmark, and like you, my english is not great. But do not let that hold you back, most og the people in here are patient and good at understanding bad english 😁.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Guten Tag Herr Urban aus Deutschland und Herr Runge aus Danmark, Wilkommen aus Colorado

I bet my bad German is worse than your bad English! :lol: :lol: Welcome!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

J Runge

Post by J Runge »

DenverWinger wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:24 am
Guten Tag Herr Urban aus Deutschland und Herr Runge aus Danmark, Wilkommen aus Colorado

I bet my bad German is worse than your bad English! :lol: :lol: Welcome!
Men det lykkedes dig at stave Danmark på dansk.

But you managed to spell Denmark in danish 👍👍👍😁

TSR
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing

Post by TSR »

Greetings, My name is Todd and I am new here
Having owned many bikes throughout my years
BSA, Triumph, Kawasaki’s, Honda’s and Harley’s
I have settled down with a 2016 Goldwing
An old friend who always rode a Goldwing told me that “You Harley guys mostly ride from bar to bar, us Goldwing guys mostly ride from ice cream parlor to ice cream parlor.”
Well I’m there and I love ice cream
Looking to get some good info from joining the forum
Salute
Attachments

J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Hi Todd
Welcome. I believe what your freind told you is close to universal. I see the same pattern here in Denmark.
Every Goldwing trip usually ends with an icecream.
Attachments

MikeinFrance
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 A

Post by MikeinFrance »

Hello !
Just joined, but I've been an avid reader for weeks, picked up my first slightly dog-eared 1200A 2 days ago, and, thanks to your tips and tricks, I think I saved replacing the clutch by reading your clutch bleed techniques! First ride Today after changing out all the dot4 fluids. What a blast, I live in the Alps and couldn't believe how well this thing handles, it seems to take me round the corners all by itself, It has 18 year old michelin commanders on it so I took it easy-( I just ordered new commader 3's ) and some of those balance balls, so my work is cut out taking both the wheels off in the next few days.
the stator wires are already soldered but I will keep a close eye on voltage and charging,
Funny, not being able to turn the lights off?
Apart from that my LCD dash seems to have no illumination for night riding, I cant find the bulb reference so I guess I'll take it off and dig inside.
Mike

Billyz
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: First time posters,

Post by Billyz »

I got this 1977 gl1000 last year. Had the windjammer fairing and hard bags and trunk etc. 19,500 miles.
Had pistol pete rebuild the carbs . Lots of other work , now here she is.
Just rode today for the first time. I picked up a lot of good info here.
This is my first post and a big thank you.

Billy
Spokane, wa
Attachments

PetrolBox
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by PetrolBox »

I recently picked up a 1983 Honda GL1100 Aspencade with 24,856 miles. It needs a lot of maintenance. I came here to find the information I am needing to get my bike back on the road. My first build was a 1980 CX500 that I made into a cafe racer. Only built for one. This bike is going to be a naked Goldwing built for my wife and I.

here is my goldwing

Skydiver13
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by Skydiver13 »

Yes this is my first post. After 40 years of riding Gold Wings starting with a GW 1100 then and GW 1500 and then getting my 2002 GW 1800, I am still riding but on a Hannigan GW Trike. I have to say I love it. Twenty one years in Special Operations and just 26 parachute jumps shy of 6000, the hips were not able to hold up a Gold Wing as reliable as when I was younger. I have spent a lot of hours converting this Gold Wing to ride as smooth and a two wheeler. I took parts from my Trike conversion and made a boober which for short trips works great, otherwise we attach the trailer so the wife can take along the kitchen sink and all her shoes. Finally, I added a train horn to get the Text while Driving peoples attention. One blast and the cage drivers move over and pay attention.
Attachments

Hannigan Trike Conversion
Hannigan Trike Conversion

Bobber made from saddle bags after conversion
Bobber made from saddle bags after conversion

Open of top and side of bobber
Open of top and side of bobber

Train Horns Installed on a Hannigan Trike
Train Horns Installed on a Hannigan Trike

Yellowjacket
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Post by Yellowjacket »

Although I’ve been visiting this site for several years now, just wanted to finally say hello. Thanks to all who post helpful how-to articles & tips that make it so much easier to keep my ‘00 Goldwing purring. Wife & I love riding it up in N Georgia mountains as we live in northwest Atlanta.