First time posters, say hello!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
firemike404
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda goldwing

Re: First time posters, say hello!

Post by firemike404 »

Hey, first time posting... hello everyone. Boight a 1981 goldwing interstate. Needed something more comfy for our road trips and love older bikes. Paid $800 for mine, needs some work and love. Drive it home though. Having the carbs rebuilt now. Can't wait to head out on a nice long cruise.
Attachments

PetrolBox
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by PetrolBox »

Hello my name is Mike and I am a Hondalcoholic, I have been riding a them since 1983 it all started on a 1980 Passport 70, followed up by an Elite 250, 2 years later because the cowboys in my high school poured sugar in my gas tank.

Sometime around 1999 I bought a used 1983 CB650 for 300.00 and wanted to restore it back to new, several years later in boxes I gave it away having lost interest in the project. Fast forward to August 2013 I attempted once again with a 1980 CX500 Custom, trying my skills with a cafe racer. I did not know at the time that is platform was considered the plastic maggot. The guys on the form "Do The Ton" sure let me know as I posted my build thread. Which convinced me to prove them wrong.

Two years after I finished I had bottom end bearing failure, which prompted my next Honda a 1983 CX650 Custom for an engine swap.

May 22, 2020 I bought a 1983 Honda GL1100 Aspencade. Finding it in the classifieds 80 miles to the north, My wife and I took the journey with motorcycle trailer to look at this 24,000 mile Goldwing. After bartering on the price due to many things not working, broken or missing plus hemorrhaging fork seals and spongy brakes. We went to load the bike on the trailer only to have it high center. Leaving me to only option to ride it home the 80 miles. After doing the long over due list of maintenance items: Air filter (was black), flushed the brown coolant out of the system, replaced in the engine oil and filter, the final drive oil (black and thick), the leaking forks got renewed with new progressive springs and seals, the 8 year old tires were replaced, a new battery (he had to jump start it), spark plugs, adjusted the valves, and replaced timing belts. I had to source a few bits from eBay and a local motorcycle salvage yard to allow her to loose 192 pounds.

(I noticed the above photo is missing the front rotors and fender, they are back on)
We will ride her this summer as I decide how this will become my next full custom build on this wonderful platform.

dpb
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Post by dpb »

Hi,

First time poster here. I live in Perth Western Australia and bought a 1996 GL1500 SE with 118,000 km (73,300 miles) on it. There was very little history on the bike because it was sadly a deceased estate.

It looks reasonably nice and I got it for a good price but there are quite a few things not working. Getting it back to Perth from 430km (270 miles) down south was a mission, on the day of the biggest storm in 10 years. My son and I drove for 9 hours in total that day. I didn't want to ride it the 430km back because I didn't know anything about it - I was particularly paranoid about the timing belts.

First thing I did was replace the timing belts and make some of my own tensioner pulleys with gates T42015 pulleys (thanks to the guidance on this site). The instructions on changing timing belts I found on this site by WingAdmin were awesome - much better than the manual.

Next is cruise control - there is a crack through the PCB so I soldered the tracks that had broken and it seems to work but I bought a replacement on eBay anyway and will change it out when it arrives (really shocks me every time that I can buy secondhand parts from the US, have them shipped half way around the globe and it works out cheaper than buying locally - if I can even find them).

I have lots of other bits and pieces to do yet and will get through them. When I bought it there was quite a bit of coolant missing and I've been concerned about why - doesn't obviously look like a head gasket or cracked head but we'll see - no bubbling or oil in coolant. After riding 120km it lost about 5mm from the coolant expansion tank but it was above full and reduced to the full mark. I've got a pressure tester and I've ordered a leakdown tester so lots of fun to be had. I have rebuilt a 94 concours 1000 in the past so I can fumble my way around bikes.

I'll get new tyres on it in a few weeks when I can afford it (Dunlop Elite 4 bias ply) - as long as the coolant holds up in the meanwhile - otherwise I'll be investigating that.

Meanwhile, I'm really loving the bike and this site.

One question I have, which I hope is OK to ask here, is regarding another site that I found referenced from this site when looking for a manual (I do already have a manual for a 97 which is good but you can't have too much info). The website goldwingworld.com requires a donation in order to get manuals, which I did donate to, but I have not had a response from the guy Teus who runs it. Has anyone else had this issue? Is he OK/well/still running the site - has anyone heard?

Anyway, best regards for now.

Dermot

Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by Roughridercog »

Been reading forum for a while. Just bought a 1989 GL1500. Now to get it through the teething problems of owning a used bike.

Anyone on the board from Branson, Missouri, too?

STWing
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Post by STWing »

Hi everyone! Not quite my first post but almost! I didn't see this thread until just now. Happy to find this forum, as I just bought a '75 Gold Wing. I've had a '77 CB550F for a while now, so this should be an interesting change. I'm hopeful that this forum will be just as great as the SOHC forum! :)

Great_adVENTURE
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda GL1500 SE
2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
2016 Harley Davidson SPORTSTER 72

Post by Great_adVENTURE »

Hello! 👋🤪

Just registered and would like to introduce myself. Just purchased a gorgeous 1995 GL1500 SE after recently selling my 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture. I have owned a 1983 GL1200 Interstate in the past and always had a passion for Touring bikes. Located in central New Jersey just outside of Sandy Hook aka Gateway National Recreation Area, I have traveled up and down the east coast and a few states westward for my 24 years of riding. Mechanically inclined I look forward to working on the Wing Myself with the assistance of others here and the plethora of information that’s provided. Thanks again and look forward to talking soon!
If you never did you should. These things are fun. And fun is good. ~Dr.Seuss

Skull Riders
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing 1800A

Post by Skull Riders »

Hey all you riders, I a newie here, but too old to be a rookie.

Skull Riders
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing 1800A

Post by Skull Riders »

Thanks and hi,

Easy question for an easy answer

My E C M 38770-MCA-A41 on my 2005 Goldwing 1800A burnt beyond repair.

For the 2005.what emc could be used to replace the 38770-MCA-A41?

I heard that some of the 2001 - 2005 or compatible, but all of them.
But would help to know which one should I get. With COVID19 crisis, I will end up buy a second hand.

Skull Riders 🤟☠️

mikesilver
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2003 Yamaha Vstar 1100

Post by mikesilver »

Hi everyone!
I've been reading a lot of posts all winter because I wanted a GL1800. I've been riding a 2003 1100 V Star since 2003. I love riding the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Smokies and all that area. I've crossed country from Montreal Canada to L.A. west coast was just wow, nothing like the east coast.So I finally found a 2008 GL 1800 with 45,000 miles. Happy :D ! Was reading up on oil changes lot of info here lolll. Thought the 8000 mile change a lot so I'll be doing it every 5000 miles with a honda filter ($21. in Canada ouch)
So thank you for letting me be part of your group.
Mike

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

mikesilver wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 am
Hi everyone!
I've been reading a lot of posts all winter because I wanted a GL1800. I've been riding a 2003 1100 V Star since 2003. I love riding the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Smokies and all that area. I've crossed country from Montreal Canada to L.A. west coast was just wow, nothing like the east coast.So I finally found a 2008 GL 1800 with 45,000 miles. Happy :D ! Was reading up on oil changes lot of info here lolll. Thought the 8000 mile change a lot so I'll be doing it every 5000 miles with a honda filter ($21. in Canada ouch)
So thank you for letting me be part of your group.
Mike
Less expensive filters from Fortnine - the HF series - order enough to get free shipping.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

mikesilver
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2003 Yamaha Vstar 1100

Post by mikesilver »

Thank You for the info

Crusty1
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Post by Crusty1 »

Hello,

First time poster here. I ride an ST1300 since 2013. Riding since 1968. Crusty on the ST-Owners.com site. Been using this site for reference as have been providing repairs and maintenance for a few riders in my area. A local ROMEO rider brought me his GA1500 trike for some repairs. Biggest challenge is undoing the years of almost correct previous maintenance not breaking the old plastics. Anyone know where I can borrow or rent a fork spring compressor?

Crusty(Chuck)

Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by Roughridercog »

Been off the road for a few years. Just bought a 1989 Honda Goldwing that I've nicknamed OLD UGLY. But we will get along fine. Am adding a trike kit and building to it through the winter as time and money permits.

big6E
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by big6E »

Hi! New user and just wanted to say hi. There is a LOT of info here which is awesome! Look forward to learning more about this beautiful 02 1800 I recently got. Thanks!

moparmaniacca
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200

Post by moparmaniacca »

Hello everyone! Checking in from southern Saskatchewan, Canada. I work on older bikes in my small garage, as a hobby. I think I have probably gone through 14 or 15 bikes in the last 3 years (irritates my wife to no end...) some needing just a little tlc and some requiring a serious time investment. I'll ride anything with two wheels, and have owned everything from dirt bikes to superbikes. I currently have a 2009 DR650, 1984 XR350R, 1983 GPZ305, and the Goldwing. This is my first real touring bike though. Recently picked up an 84' Goldwing Interstate with 38000mi (US bike) that had been stored in an old shed for the past ten years. The bike was supposed to have had some engine issues, which is why it was laid up. I took it home and started tearing into it. After cleaning up some electrical connections, it fired up. I removed and cleaned the carbs and fuel tank and now she purrs like a kitten, so I'm not entirely sure what issue the PO had with it (recently passed away, so couldn't ask). The amount of filth on it from being in a dirt floored shed was terrible, but at least it was out of the weather all this time. Even the stator is in perfect working order. After a bit of cleaning, and tidying up of the wiring, she's almost ready for daily use. I rebuilt the front caliper, the linked one, as it was seized solid so it only had the single front brake operating. I still need to rebuild the other two. The seat is toast, I think it was velour on top at one time??? and the windscreen is hazed enough, it might as well be black. It rides beautifully though, on ten year old "new" tires. I used aluminum foil and water to shine up the chrome. Looking forward to riding it some more, and I'm amazed at how agile the bike is, for it's size.

That was a bit long winded.... Guess I'm still a bit excited over it.

As found, just hosed off the dirt:

Stripping:

Wiring Mess:

Cleaning:

Reassembly:

Back Together (before tackling brakes):