Stay hydrated in the heat!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Stay hydrated in the heat!

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Two weeks ago, I was on a trip up in Canada on my bike, in terrible heat. The thermometer on my bike showed 94F (34C) and it was so humid that the guy on the radio was reporting that it felt like 110F (43C). This weekend we are having another hot, humid weekend with very similar temperatures.

I was unfortunately not out on the highway during this heat - a lot of the riding I was doing was in the city, lots of stoplights, lots of sitting and baking in the sun.

About once an hour I would stop at a gas station, and pay a visit to their "beer cave" walk-in refrigerator. Not for a beer, but simply to cool down.

But you need more than cooling - you need fluids. I was wearing full gear as always (my mesh gear) which actually helped, believe it or not. By keeping a boundary layer of air between the mesh and my skin, it allowed the sweat on me to actually help cool me down, instead of just blowing away without providing any cooling effect. So I sweat - a LOT. But it's still very hot wearing all that gear in hot weather.

Sweating like that without replacing those fluids is a fast track to heatstroke, which can be lethal.

I had a big jug of water in my trunk, but I was saving that as my "emergency" fluids. Instead, at each gas station I would buy (and drink!) a liter bottle of Gatorade (I prefer the sugar free version). These sports drinks give you much-needed fluids, but also replace vital electrolytes that are lost through sweating. When you are losing that much fluid that fast, attempting to replace it with just water can lead to water toxicity, where your electrolytes are so low that your muscles are not functioning correctly. Cramps are the first sign of this sort of thing.

Failing Gatorade (or similar electrolyte drink), you can get by with a big jug of water and a salty bag of chips.

Something to keep in mind during these hot summer days.

Uptwobucks
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL

Re: Stay hydrated in the heat!

Post by Uptwobucks » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:56 am

With humidity a 108 heat index in south Texas. Too hot to ride.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:58 am

Uptwobucks wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:56 am
With humidity a 108 heat index in south Texas. Too hot to ride.
Check out the Polar Vest Phase Change Cooling Vest - I have not found any heat that this vest can't make comfortable.

Uptwobucks
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL

Post by Uptwobucks » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:44 am

Thank you. I just purchased the double pack. Will give them a try.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Has anybody had any experience with those hydration backpacks? I'm thinking that's what I want to try next. I could go a lot further but I gotta stop n get some cold water long before my bike needs a fill up. I figure that the ice in it would also keep a fellow cool too. Very easy to refill at the gas station too

Ride safe
Scooter

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am

Yes, the Camelbak is a good one to use. For riding in hot weather, i'd use it as a supplement to drinking Gatorade/Powerade, as you don't want to drink TOO much plain water. As you've said, good for between stops to keep refreshed. What I would do, fill completely full with ice, then top off with water.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm

DarthJ wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am
Yes, the Camelbak is a good one to use. For riding in hot weather, i'd use it as a supplement to drinking Gatorade/Powerade, as you don't want to drink TOO much plain water. As you've said, good for between stops to keep refreshed. What I would do, fill completely full with ice, then top off with water.
I have a Camelback, and after one trip with it, I just leave it at home.

too much bother, the water is always warm by the time you suck it up to your mouth.
I always wear big mesh Ballistic Tour Master riding pants, and they have huge big cargo pockets below the regular pocket for your wallet, etc.... I just drop a water bottle in that pocket and it is easy to reach and take a swallow of water while riding.... for me, that is the way to go....

My handle bars are cluttered up now with the GPS and the RAM Mount X-Grip.... no drink cup holders for me, used to have one, not worth it to me.

~John

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:26 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a Camelback, and after one trip with it, I just leave it at home.

too much bother, the water is always warm by the time you suck it up to your mouth.
I always wear big mesh Ballistic Tour Master riding pants, and they have huge big cargo pockets below the regular pocket for your wallet, etc.... I just drop a water bottle in that pocket and it is easy to reach and take a swallow of water while riding.... for me, that is the way to go....

My handle bars are cluttered up now with the GPS and the RAM Mount X-Grip.... no drink cup holders for me, used to have one, not worth it to me.

GPS mounted on bike.jpg
Guess it's a YMMV issue. I have my tactical camelbak, and never had an issue with it being too warm. I only use it now for supplemental drinking and fill completely with ice first. Also, what I found is to blow the water in the tube back into the reservoir.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

Choctaw
Motorcycle: GL 1800 Gold Wing

Post by Choctaw » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:39 am

Low 90s here in Michigan. With a mesh jacket its almost too hot to ride. Fresh we went from deep winter into instant death by heat. I like riding better in the 50s than I do in the 90s. On these hot weekends I've been leaving the house around 5 am and coming home around noon. I might even look into a smaller windshield for more air flow. Know of a good one?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm

The company Sixsixone makes core coo;era :
http://thebellstore.com/Protection/Sixs ... ooler.html
- - - - apparently often used by aircraft carrier deck personal, if you believe the hype.

I have used one under my Mesh jacket for about 10 years.. It works well.. About $45, if on sale .

The theory is that you only need to cool the shoulders and upper chest area to keep rest of your body cool .

The advantage for motorcyclists is it packs VERY small when dry ( a small ziplock bag ) so it doesn't take up any space at all.
I keep mine in those small glove bags under the passenger armrests . It also fits easily in a jacket pocket .

When it looks like its gonna be a hot day, I add about 1/2 cup of water to the ziplock bag, and its hydrated in about a half hour .
Lasts for several days , if you place it back in the bag at night .

Its tres cool !!
and very compact , when dried out .

LOL
SilverDave