Dark side, run flat or standard?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200
2003 Goldwing 1800

Dark side, run flat or standard?

Post by Mountain rider » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:28 pm

When doing the dark side, is there any advantage performance wise, to use a run flat over a standard tire? Obviously not having to worry about a flat is one, but is there a significant difference when cornering? I have a standard CT on the rear now, but with a long trip coming up, anything that helps cornering and comfort over the long haul is a plus. The wife will never let me return to a motorcycle tire, so what would be a good choice? Maybe something with a round shoulder.

Shiney Side Up
Motorcycle: "2012 GL1800" Level III

Re: Dark side, run flat or standard?

Post by Shiney Side Up » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 pm

I recently added a Yokohama 195/55RF-16 AVID Envigor ZPS run flat to my 2012. I like the Avid as it has symetrical edges making throwing the GW from side to side a little easier vs asymetrical edges. I often ride two up and pull a trailer and I like the added safety 'if' we get a flat I will be able to (hopefully) ride the bike to the shoulder fairly safely. The Avid Envigor is a popular tire with darkside Wingers.

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I am still a DS wannabe but, in prep mode, have been doing a lot of reading. Have also gathered everything needed for my 2008 GL1800, except have not yet chosen a tire. Per what I have read, RF is one of the major benefits for going DS. The benefits, of course include safety, and being able to limp the bike up to 50 miles, without air, if necessary.

I have not yet chosen a CT, but have narrowed it down to what seems the three current most popular, and all are RFs (Yoko ZPS, Bridgestone DG, and Perelli Snow Control).

A major criteria for me is noise. I have read, mostly from car driver reviews of all season RFs, they tend to be noisy. I once had a Harley with a very noisy front tire, and suffered through till it wore out. But refuse to go down that road again.

Back to the OP, my vote is for a RF, but only a quiet one. LOL

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:39 pm

From personal experience, having a Michelin RF ZP tire, the Alpin Primacy,

you definitely want to find a tire with a Rounded Profile.... the tire I have is much too flat and square on the bottom, and it takes effort to make it stay in a turn in the twisties.

doable, of course, and I am used to it, but I won't put another Alpin Primacy on the back of my bike.

it will be one of the other brands with the more rounded profiles.

As to RF or not, that depends on your "Safety Zone" preference.
I personally chose the RF ZP tire because I ride solo mostly and having a flat and setting in the heat without Air Condition is something I can't allow to happen. I have a medical condition that will cause me to have a heat stroke at 85*F if no cooling air is blowing past my face and body.

The ZP allows me to ride at least 50 miles to where the tire can be fixed or replaced.
~John

Mountain rider
2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks, John
I think I'm going to give the P1 a try. My current tire works well, but gives me just the smallest wiggle when I lay over in a corner. I think I'm just running it up on the shoulder.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am

The little wiggle is probably caused by the sidewall, rather than running up on the side. A radial is built to flex in order to keep the footprint flat. If running a bias CT(harder to find) the sidewalls are generally stiffer than you'd find on most radials.

Mountain rider
2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Someone told me the Pirelli P1 would turn my Wing from a Cadillac into a Maserati, he was right. The ride and cornering are amazing. I'm currently running about 34 PSI in it and can't see how it could possibly get any better. I used Ride-on for balancing, since its sealing properties are purely redundant with a run flat tire. If you're considering going to the Dark side, the Pirelli P1 would be a terrific first choice. We're going to take an extended ride this weekend, so we'll see how she does with two up. :mrgreen: