Best GPS Options

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Best GPS Options

Post by someone548 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 am

Hi all!
I'm looking into GPS options. Before I go on long trips, I plan everything out in google maps. In the past, I've just checked my phone at every stop to make sure I'm taking the route I'd planned. However, my next trip will be a bit more complex. I'd like to be able to set up the route and just upload it to the GPS or at least be able to set a large number of waypoints within the GPS to stay on my route. What does everyone use? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Best GPS Options

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:18 pm

over many years of using a GPS, I have found that the internal routing Algorithms are a Piece of Crap, IMO.

what I do is to use Google Maps to view the route, set up via points as individual stops.

Then when about ready to take off, I can do one of two things.

1) set up the whole route and select each of the individual stops as a Via Point

2) just hit Recent and select the top most Recent entry and that is my next one.
when you are almost there, select the next Via Point and then tell it "New Route" to delete the current stop... it might not be exactly where you would want to switch over to the next route anyway.

My experience has proven to me, that having only the next Via Point set up at a time is useful.
if you have an entire 1200 mile route set up, the GPS is just about useless for searching for anything, or being able to determine "how far to the next stop daddy?"

This was reproven to me just last month, we were going to Colorado Springs pulling our RV trailer behind us. we planned on taking 3 days with 2 overnight stops in between.
Sitting in my recliner, I just idly set up the GPS for the whole route....

about half way thru the 1st day, we needed to find E-0 fuel for the truck, and the GPS was not doing very good with "Fuel on Route" as that brings in all of the ethanol stops.... what I needed was to set up a temporary Via Point in between my RON and "need some gas now"....

Gave the GPS to my daughter, and told her to erase the trip, look at the Route Sheet that was printed up, and enter the address for that gas station ( previously called to verify E-0 )
she then added the RON as the next stop on the route.
~John

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:50 pm

i'm happy with the garmin 660's that I have, one is on my wing and the other is on the Mighty ST 1300
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 pm

detdrbuzzard wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:50 pm
i'm happy with the garmin 660's that I have, one is on my wing and the other is on the Mighty ST 1300
I have one of those, it is going on my daughter's Vespa Piaggio MP3
~John

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:59 am

The lifetime map updates that they advertise actually mean "as long as they (the Supplier (Garmin for example)) want to support the item, and then it becomes more difficult. Just a heads up.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 pm

redial wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:59 am
The lifetime map updates that they advertise actually mean "as long as they (the Supplier (Garmin for example)) want to support the item, and then it becomes more difficult. Just a heads up.
Apparently they have not abandoned any of their stuff, I just updated the maps on a Garmin 650 and a 660

When I hook up my old Garmin Navi from 2001, it is still recognized in the Garmin Express app.
That GPS only showed you a straight line from point 'A' to point 'B' and it had two dotted lines to either side of the direct line to show you how far off the center track you are.
it still works, hooked it up last month.... I used it in my airplane at the time.
~John

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1973 Suzuki TS185 (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 am

My 2 cents.........FIRST......Garmin SUCKS.

Why I found works great is to plan the trip ahead of time. I use either Google Maps or Mapquest. Plan point-to-point stops.....fuel, food, etc.....
I PRINT out the point-to-point stops on paper......and put it in my tank bag under the clear, plastic sheet. When I reach the next point.......take the top sheet out
and you have your next stop right in front of you. And ALWAYS have printed maps of where you'll be traveling WITH YOU. You know.....the kind you get at the gas station.

I always wonder what people did BEFORE GPS...? Regular maps always worked. Then you have a reason to stop, stretch your legs, eat......or whatever before starting
out again. Seems that people still got where they were going without GPS. Neat tech...?? Yeah. NEEDED.....??....HECK NO..!!

Sometimes, the best solution is the simplest solution. I don't like having a "computer" tell me where to go. If you don't KNOW where you're going, you might not be
smart enough to travel in the first place. Just sayin'.......
It's not WHAT you ride......it's THAT you ride.

dirtwinger
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 IVA

Post by dirtwinger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:47 pm

I very much like my Garmin 660, both for use on my Wing and in my car. The "lifetime Updates" will only work if the updating is done within a twelve month period. I goofed...waited thirteen months to update and lost the "free" privilege. Gotta pay for it now.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:46 pm

I’ve had my Wing for a little over a year now and am still using the Honda trip planner site. Since mine is fairly new they seem to ha e resolved many of the issues I’ve read about here.

This way I don’t have any more extra devices bolted on. So far, I’m happy with what came with it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1973 Suzuki TS185 (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Here's the weird thing about the Garmin's that I've had...........

I got one at Costco about 9 years ago. Worked GREAT. Used it up until 2 years ago. Kind of stopped needing it, so to speak. LOST IT..!! It's around here somewhere.
Started traveling again around the Eastern Washington / Idaho / Western Montana area, and decided to get another one.
Went to Costco again and got another Garmin. Forget the model, but it wasn't cheap. The STUPID THING would not let you put in an address in another state
until YOU WERE IN THAT STATE. WTH...?? So if I wanted to put in a destination that was in ANOTHER state, it wouldn't find it until I crossed the border
of THAT state. 'Bout the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Garmin's "customer service" told me to "update it". When I tried that........the one that was available for
"update" was a little older than the one that was already in the GPS. Again.....WTH..? ha ha

So I'm liking the good old fold-em-up jobbies..! If anyone has a particular model they don't have issues with......I'm all EARS..!!......uh....eyes.
It's not WHAT you ride......it's THAT you ride.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:17 pm

dakotanator wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:13 pm
del, but it wasn't cheap. The STUPID THING would not let you put in an address in another state
until YOU WERE IN THAT STATE. WTH...?? So if I wanted to put in a destination that was in ANOTHER state, it wouldn't find it until I crossed the border
of THAT state. 'Bout the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Garmin's "customer service" told me to "update it". When I tried that........the one that was available for
"update" was a little older than the one that was already in the GPS. Again.....WTH..? ha ha

So I'm liking the good old fold-em-up jobbies..! If anyone has a particular model they don't have issues with......I'm all EARS..!!......uh....eyes.
every Garmin that I have, allows you to put in an address in any state,
BUT, there is a caveat.

you must enter the state to search first.
once that is done, it works just like getting a local address.

on my 2797, there is a "Search Near" button just to the right of the Search button.
click on 'Search Near" and enter the state....
there is also a menu to go thru that does the same thing, but it takes longer to get there.

there is also "Other City" category, that works on every Garmin I have, and some are 10 years or more old. Enter 'Washington' and a list of states comes up, chose the correct state/city and then enter the address.

I'm not saying the Garmin menus are easy to work with, but once, you get used to them, they actually work pretty decent.

also, the stories you hear about "my GPS took me in circles everywhere except where I wanted to go".

those stories, if you can get the person to admit it, they were "already moving when the GPS was turned on", and it did not "get localized" as to where it is. the Ephemersis was way out of date, and it has to search for the data to get the satellites "in sync" with what it thinks is where they are.

Every time I have turned mine on while moving, it screws up the results if you try to search for an address "in a hurry". leave it alone for 10 minutes or so, and it will then know where it is, and will find the address correctly.

or, just stop, let it find the Satellites, and once it shows the exact spot where you are sitting, it is ready to go, and will take the proper route.
~John

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Bottom line: "Tech" devices are beter left to those that are not technically challenged.
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 pm

MikeB wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm
Bottom line: "Tech" devices are left to those that are not technically challenged.
that's my daughter :lol:

we trade places, she drives, I'm the Navigator :?
~John

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:00 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 pm
MikeB wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm
Bottom line: "Tech" devices are left to those that are not technically challenged.
that's my daughter :lol:

we trade places, she drives, I'm the Navigator :?
Traveling with my wife is a challenge. Louis and Clark got Sacajawea, I got Helen Keller!!!
Don't drive intoxicated.
Don't drive intexticated.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 pm

My tuppence worth. Always used Garmin, not saying they are the best, but always worked well, always had lifetime updates. Garmin Express always flashes up when updates are ready to be installed. I use Garmin Base Camp and Honda Trip Planner, if I want to plan my exact route, and just download it to the Garmin. I have never bothered paying daft money for a waterproof one, just slip a sandwich bag over it if it pisses down.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.