overhauling/modifying 1993 GL1500A

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
threetrees
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

overhauling/modifying 1993 GL1500A

Post by threetrees »

Hello all!
So i picked this old gal up for $500 with a new set of tires, manual, and a spare set of carbs to keep on standby. I start the tear down this coming monday and will keep updating with pics. My goal is to make this bike look completely different. But first i plan on disassembling the bike and going thru it to ensure the heart is in fine working order. New seals, timing belt, gaskets, rebuild the carbs, replace/upgrade clutch plates and springs, and a few other items to the power train/cooling system. Swapping out the shocks and installing some low swooping fenders. Electrically i plan to remove the entire wire harness and install a modern one that can be monitored. The handlebars will be replaced as well as the headlight (im thinking of a nice fat round LED eye). Cosmetically is where i come to a few decisions im not ready to make yet. Im not sure how hard installing a traditional tank would be or if its even worth the hassle. The wheels will be powder coated black and every bit of chrome that i can black out i will. The main color of the bike will be O.D. green with a black low profile 2 person saddle. Some of these things may change and i not only welcome suggestions, i am hoping to get lots of it. Wish me luck!
Attachments

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: overhauling/modifying 1993 GL1500A

Post by AZgl1800 »

unless the prior owners were extremely heavy handed with wide open throttle take offs,
it is very doubtful the clutch plates will need anything other than some Seafoam run through the engine oil a couple of times.

that will remove the shellac on them, and they will perform like new.

Possibly the Clutch slave cylinder might do with a cleaning.
all the master cylinders can benefit from being cleaned and fresh fluids.
the little tiny return hole is under a thin plate at the bottom, be sure it is clean, the smallest quitar string, or wire brush strand will do.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Good luck with those plans. Come back after you get all the plastic removed and tell us how your plans have changed. lol.

threetrees
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by threetrees »

I appreciate a challenge and one thing I am doing my best to avoid is becoming overconfident or rushed on this project. I’m sure there will be many revisions to the plan but I think all in all it will be a fun experience.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

very nice. I know I'm curious as to what the final result ends up being. I'm sure there are plenty of us who may need any take offs you might have.

You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.