Yellowstone In Winter

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Yellowstone In Winter

Post by echinus1988 »

I know this isn't about motorcycles but I still would like to mention it.

I have visited Yellowstone more times than I can count. Always in Spring, Summer, or Fall but this year I added Winter!!!

I just came back yesterday (2/8/2019) from two days of snowmobiling in and around Yellowstone. First day was in the National Forest and then Tuesday, into the park. I unfortunately missed the days you could explore the park on your own but I still got to go in and see some of the attractions and animals. All in all, a great trip and a great time. Would I do it again? Absolutely plan to do it again.

Next trip, maybe in by snow coach and spend time around the Upper Geyser Basin. Wander around and watch the geysers, go out late night and listen to them erupt when it's super cold outside. Just go up and experience Yellowstone when it's quieter and less people around.

Ride Safe.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Re: Yellowstone In Winter

Post by Sidcar »

A Yellowstone safari, magic.
Bit far for the weekend but one day I'll get there.

Sid

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Post by echinus1988 »

Sid, I sincerely hope you do. Either winter or the warmer season is worth the trip. If you come over in the spring or fall, those are great times because the crowds aren't as bad. June through August can be a nightmare trying to get in to see things. But May and September isn't as crowded and normally when I go. In fact, I'll be there this coming September in order to visit it once again. I never tire of the features and try to visit the spots that are less traveled more than I used to.

Last year I hiked back to Lone Star Geyser which is a lovely hike and worth waiting for it to erupt. Just make sure you wait for the major eruption, don't leave after the minor eruption that occurs first. It's worth the wait.

If you don't mind hiking, you can park near the Grand Prismatic Spring overlook trail and go back near fairy falls. There is a small geyser back there that the name escapes me but it is fun to watch. Not big but a perpetual spouter so it doesn't really stop erupting. I watched it for about 30 minutes since there was nobody else back there. I also made the "mistake" of parking at the firehole parking area and hiking about 15 miles instead of the parking I mentioned above and hiking about 5 miles or less to it and back. The hike was nice and I was accompanied by a bison for about 10 minutes of it. I wasn't close to him but he was walking the same way and I just walked and watched him move along.

And always use care around any of the animals. Two years ago, after many trips over many years, I saw a person get gored by a bison. It wasn't nice and I hope to never see it again. But when they say bison are strong, they are. This one flipped him in the air about 10 feet high with no effort at all! To top it off, I doubt he got the picture he was trying so hard to get.

Ride safe everyone.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

echinus1988 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 am
To top it off, I doubt he got the picture he was trying so hard to get.
That is the reason they make telephoto lenses
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

themainviking wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 am
echinus1988 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 am
To top it off, I doubt he got the picture he was trying so hard to get.
That is the reason they make telephoto lenses

This is so true. My wife and I ride to the Park several times a month during the warmer months and see it all the time. It's especially a problem when the tour buses come through. Folks from other countries view Yelllowstone as a Park, hence the animals must be tame, hence they can just walk up to them. There was a lady, from China I believe, that was photographed petting a Bison's face. She was very, very lucky as the bison ignored her and she walked away. Another lady, a few weeks later, was tossed into a tree by a huge bull elk. She got to take the ride to the hospital.

That aside, echinus1988, we envy you so much. As I said, we ride to and into the park constantly, but have yet to take a ride during the Winter. Leslie was mentioning just yesterday, after seeing video of a large bison running past the snow coaches, that she wants to do that some day. Whenever you're out this way, let me know. I'd love to meet up and maybe buy you a cup of joe. :D
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 »

Viking, I know what you're saying about telephoto lens but he was using an IPad and was running fast to not let the bison get away. He went down one side of a dead and down tree, the bison down the other side. He turned right into the bison at the end. Funny thing, I took a photo but had decided not to video. Wish I had because I could have given it to the park rangers. Other people that were writing a statement felt the poor guy was not at fault and was saying that in their statement. We explained to them, tell them what you saw, not what you think. That helps the rangers more. Then they confiscated his Ipad because we told them about it. Oh well. I bet flight for life cost a pretty penny also.

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 »

Mountain Rider,

I will be up there in September this year. I am planning on taking my motorcycle for the first time in 30 years. I am looking at maps and such looking for some lesser seen geysers like I did two years ago. I find I like the hiking back and seeing things that people won't take the time to see.

I'll be riding Old US Highway 80 in May from at least Yuma to San Diego and then I hope up Highway 1 before turning back inland to possibly go to the Salton Sea area and back to Colorado.

I'll definitely keep you in mind when I head up there. If previous plans had worked out I would be living in Idaho right now but they didn't so I remain in Colorado. lol

Ride Safe.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 »

When I got out of the Marines in late 1969, my wife and I decided to tour some more of the country on our way back to Florida. We left San Diego about the first of Oct, and headed up the west coast, Visited family in Pebble Beach, then headed for Crater Lake. What a sight with no footprints in the snow. Then on to Mt Rainier (that spelling doesn't look right to me) and on eastward following that first snow. Went to Yellowstone to see that also after the first snow. Yellowstone is an amazing place that should not be missed if you are even close to it. We kind of had the park to ourselves with nature. Took a picture of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone that is the most beautiful picture I ever took, had to have it enlarged. Wish I knew how I did it that it came out so good. LOL Probably never see Yellowstone again, but oh the memories.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 »

Back in the 60s it was a magical place. You could actually enjoy it easily in the summer. Now it's packed so much it's hard to see anything with the summer crowds. That's why I go either in May or September to avoid that worst of the crowds. Had to delay couple of years ago and my friend and I didn't enjoy it as much. Too many people, too few parking spots.

I go when I can though. I had to take about 10 years off to raise a child by myself never quite having the money to take her up there. But she did get to see it before my wife and I split. I really enjoyed seeing it in winter. Very interesting and fun. I wish I could tour by myself to see what I want to see (thank you jerks for doing stupid things on snowmobiles) like Great Fountain Geyser. I have always made it a point to see that one! If you do, remember, when it "finishes" erupting, wait for the actual finish! lol

And Lone Star Geyser, worth the walk and wait. Again, wait for the main eruption which is the second one. Last time I saw it two years ago, we had a bison walking slowly up to the viewing area. I finally had to get going since it was my final day and I was leaving the park that day.

I go again this September. By myself but I'll hike and I'll visit Upper Geyser basin at night like I did Norris/Porcelain Basin two years ago. A geyser basin at night is a wonderful place to see. Maybe I'll get lucky and see Steamboat Geyser!

Ride Safe!