the new SPOT X satellite transponder

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: the new SPOT X satellite transponder

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm
I go visit this page every once in a while to read the stories - people who have been rescued because of their SPOT:

https://www.findmespot.com/en/spotemergency/
yes,
I do too, posted that link a day or three backwards...
it makes good reading, and if one is sensible, it will reinforce the sensibility of buying an ELT and taking it with you everywhere.

I usually only take it when I travel alone... if my daughter is with me, it stays home. Maybe I should rethink that? but we are always in cellphone range when together.

~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:17 am

I was browsing that link again and saw one that mentioned "Trace".

Hmmmm, I thought someone had to trace their friend/family member.

nope, he had his SPOT hidden on the bike and wired direct to the battery.

The SPOT left little dog droppings right to the thief's home. :lol: :lol:
~John

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 am

I picked up the Spot X. Still working on learning the ins and outs of it but I like it so far. I have sent a text email message out and it took approximately 4 minutes to show up on my phone. Just downloaded the user manual since the manual with it isn't that informative. I am in the process of adding the people I want in my contacts list. Will be working on figuring out how to track within the next couple days and will try it going back and forth to work. Just to see how it works.

So far, I like the idea of it. My son has also been looking at options but has found one he likes. Someday he'll tell me which one he found.

So, all in all, I am glad I got it. I'll be happy if I ever need contact in the mountains or on my isolated rides like Old US Highway 80 I'm taking in May. Also plan on going on more weekend camping trips since I have 3 day "weekends" almost every weekend (my weekend starts Sunday which is a pretty good time I think). I'll definitely use it there.

Haven't gotten to the part of how to use my iPhone with it yet but I know I will.

Thank you to everyone that gave information or suggestions about this purchase. I appreciate how nice it is to have all this knowledge available for use here.

Ride Safe!

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:29 am

Interesting, that the site didn't load the extra responses or I missed them.

I looked at the trace. I'm thinking of comparing it to the other ones out there. LoJack and the like. There are many options but I'll do my research and then see about getting one.

And of course, I'll probably talk about it here and see what experiences people have had with the ones I'm looking at.

Ride Safe!

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:37 am

echinus1988 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 am
I picked up the Spot X. Still working on learning the ins and outs of it but I like it so far. I have sent a text email message out and it took approximately 4 minutes to show up on my phone. Just downloaded the user manual since the manual with it isn't that informative. I am in the process of adding the people I want in my contacts list. Will be working on figuring out how to track within the next couple days and will try it going back and forth to work. Just to see how it works.
On the Contacts list, I set it up for SMS text messages, and also their Email address....

And, make sure that your include our own Ph#... why?
So that when you hit one of the buttons, you get feedback that it is working.
When I first turn it on, I allow it a minute to settle down, then hit " 1st message of day" when that comes in, I then hit the Tracking Button.
( I have a macro on my phone that monitors for that SMS message, when it hears it, it gives me an Audible Text Message TURN ON SPOT TRACKING ) :lol:
I forget to do that sometimes, very upsetting at the end of day :twisted:

When I hit the first button to send out a message, I have the text message as follows:

"Starting out for today: If this is the 2nd time today, I have stopped for lunch, rest a while" and I leave the tracker mode on all day until I have stopped.

the 2nd Message I have set up to read:
" Stopped for the day, at home, or hotel "

My son really likes that, he is very busy with his work, and the SMS gives him a quick update w/o taking a lot of time out of his day.

When you sign in on your Account, you should find a mention of "your Spot Adventures tracking page.... here is mine, the tracks disappeared yesterday, they only stay up 7 days for each track.... so a big trip is going to loose the 8th day of each track spot.

The Android or iPhone app will keep all of the tracks you have downloaded to the phone permanently until you delete them.
The SPOT support guy called me yesterday, he told me that if you delete the APP and reload it, it will never download any old tracks again. The server knows which ones you have downloaded previously.

I was having problems with the Android app on Kit Kat 4.4.4 ( rooted phone )
and we found out that the developers "upgraded the app" and dropped the ability for the old Android versions to work with it.

I have a Tablet, and the app works fine on that. Bigger screen anyway.
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

I have a friend who ferries airplanes overseas. Basically it means she picks up a small, single-engine plane in the US, it has all the seats except the pilot's seat ripped out, and a massive fuel tank is installed in their place. With hundreds of pounds of fuel, an inflatable raft, a few clothes, and some food and water, she sets off on 15+ hour legs across oceans to deliver the airplane to wherever it has been purchased.

She has a Delorme Inreach that lets her tap out little text messages on an on-screen keyboard, as well as receive them. She is sometimes desperate for company during the long, boring hours droning along at 110 kts over the ocean, and uses it extensively. :)

I think the Spot X would work virtually the same way, and probably a bit better with its physical keyboard.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:46 pm

with just a single engine, I always felt nervous when I got more than 150 feet off shore :lol: :lol:

you know that the odds are it will keep running, but........... I can't swim very well. :mrgreen:
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:12 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:46 pm
with just a single engine, I always felt nervous when I got more than 150 feet off shore :lol: :lol:

you know that the odds are it will keep running, but........... I can't swim very well. :mrgreen:
Yeah I don't know if I could do it either. There were several times when I was talking to her when it was more than 6 hours in any direction for her to reach land of any kind. :shock:

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:08 am

I just downloaded the user manual so I have a lot of reading to do. As far as figuring it out, it will be this weekend I hope (my Friday night is Sunday morning). I'll read the manual and start getting things set up for tracking me on my rides or trips. Feel better having it since a friend and I are going to Death Valley in May.

I never thought of having my number in there so I appreciate the suggestion and will do it. I am assuming I set up whoever I want to receive the update as I move along. Again, I'll be in the user's manual this weekend so I can get it set up. I'll do a couple of drives just to let it track me and see how it works. I'll also see if I need to do more to get it to communicate with my iPhone. I do have the app but again, need to learn it like anything else.

Thank you for all your insights and help on this. I'll let you know how I'm doing getting it figured out.

Ride Safe!

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Make sure, that you check each category of messages.

there are several, and each must be setup individually for each person to receive that particular message.

I made a point of giving both SMS and email in each group.+\

under My Devices

View/Edit

ACTIVE Message Profile is "you"

Check In
this is for you to write a message in the TEXT box.
then you click below to ADD "email"
and again on "Mobile Number"

my message here is "Starting out: or, stopped for a rest stop if twice today."
=================================
Custom: message is "All Okay, Done for today, Home or at Hotel."

================================

help/SPOT S.O.V.
This is a special call from you, to your family and friends that you need help, but do NOT need a 911 action. you are broke down, or something.

my message reads "SOS @ GPS loc Call 8009470770 for M/C transport ID 321234567 de JTcraig NoCellSVC I am OK need help bike is dead"

that "Call number is my Good Sam and member ID number, so they can send me a tow truck that knows how to load a motorcycle.
========================================

S.O.S.
this one is critical, you must enter your medical history, etc...

and here, you will see why I bought SPOT:

"No allergies to meds. DOB 0x-0x-19xx. O+, Prior sub-dural + frontal concussion + top left concussion to head Jan/2008. No heart issues, Daughter is Cynthia xxxx 918-4xx-0414 (of home), son is PJ xxxxx 770-910-xxxx in Dawsonville, GA .. My Home Address: yada yada and my full name and Cell Ph#"

=================================

it is important that you alert family/friends on how to respond to that special call for help, they must read out the GPS location to the 1st Responder, or Tow Truck driver so he can find you... most likely, there will not be a Street address with 50 miles of you.
~John

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm

You North Americans are spoiled for choice. These satellites just don't want to come this far south. In the meantime, back to the latest technology - called a GPS :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 pm

redial wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm
You North Americans are spoiled for choice. These satellites just don't want to come this far south. In the meantime, back to the latest technology - called a GPS :lol:
You're wrong...I posted this on another thread, but I'll add it here as well, because it's relevant:

Spot coverage
Spot coverage

Spot X coverage
Spot X coverage

redial

Post by redial » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:31 am

Pardon my ignorance, I hadn't heard of it before. When I looked it up, including the prices, I found out that it would cost around AU$400 the first year, and another AU$200 a year thereafter. Maybe I should get out more often.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 am

I found this on another site. I'm posting here, just to make users aware.
https://advrider.com/is-your-spot-devic ... y-working/

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 am

minimac wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 am
I found this on another site. I'm posting here, just to make users aware.
https://advrider.com/is-your-spot-devic ... y-working/
Is it really working?
well, duh.....

SPOT provides links so that you can see your own track. and give those links to your family.

all of the SPOT devices have an account page where you can assign SMS links to any cellphone ( and ALWAYS include your own phone on every message type )

on each type of message you can assign email addresses....

and I always assign Email and SMS text to every person that needs to know where I am.

Start of Trip:
#1 Power on SPOT
#2 Press the Start of Day button
#3 have your cellphone SMS app's Alert talk to you Audibly ( Turn SPOT TRACKING ON )
#4 follow through on that audible alert and actually press the TRACKING BUTTON. ( it ain't worth a damn unless it is leaving cookie crumbs )

why? if you get hurt and can't find SPOT, or otherwise can't press the button on SPOT, at least your family can give the Hunting Crew the last know address of where it was 10 minutes ago..... and the Track will indicate the direction you are going.

End of Day..... SPOT has an END OF DAY button.
Assign everyone their email address and SMS ph#
and that message needs to be informative
( Stopped for the day, or home )

do NOT ever press that RED 911 button ( to see if it works ) unless you want to shell out all of your bank account paying for 1st responders who find you in bed, asleep.

Using the above hints, I know exactly what my SPOT is doing.
the only time it does not work, is when I don't follow through with one of those steps. ( and that actually happened 2 days ago, got in a hurry to leave a camping location, turned SPOT on, but never pressed Tracking )
so, it very dutifully blinked back at me all day long, I could see the little light flashing and got suckered in ( yep, it is working )

well, no it is NOT working unless your have heard that feedback message on your own cellphone.

look here, I forgot to turn SPOT off after getting to my son's house, and it very dutifully tracked my truck sitting in the driveway all night long.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/fac ... yo4CbCZmdR
~John

minimac
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 am
"How do we know? I have "Activated" tracking and later discovered that it was not tracking me..... you must hold the buttons down until the LED flashes and that means that function is activated."
"the only time it does not work, is when I don't follow through with one of those steps. ( and that actually happened 2 days ago, got in a hurry to leave a camping location, turned SPOT on, but never pressed Tracking )
so, it very dutifully blinked back at me all day long, I could see the little light flashing and got suckered in ( yep, it is working )
well, no it is NOT working unless your have heard that feedback message on your own cellphone."

So if you have no cell reception....well, duh!

redial

Post by redial » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Does it only work where you do not have mobile (cell) connection, then it would be of limited use as I only go on made roads with the GW? There seems to be plenty of signal for the mobiles, and I do not go bush walking these days, so will not be going anywhere strange in the future, either. I do not see that it would be applicable to my needs, but others should get some use out of it.
Len in Kapunda

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 am

y'all being way too literal....

the SPOT always works, IF, you pay attention to the sequence of turning it on, and making sure it is in Tracking mode.

if I am away from being able to get a cellphone signal, obviously I will not get that feedback that the message got thru..... most of my riding is within a cellphone tower's range.

but, a lot of times, it is not.....
so, especially when out of range, pay attention to the Lights on SPOT, all of them blink to indicate what is going on.

For instance, when 1st turned on, only the Power/Transmitting light flickers.
IF the "start of day" button was pushed, it will continue to blink UNTIL the transponder hears a satellite and sends a reply to it. then that light stops blinking.... that is your indication to change from "start of day" to "tracking mode".
~John

minimac
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 am

As I stated originally, I posted that only to make owners(and potential customers) aware of potential issues. Reading the ENTIRE linked article and the responses, it didn't seem to be a one time issue. On a positive note, the company seemed to be interested in finding out why the issue occurred and making things right.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:53 am

I was having a problem with the Android SPOT app working on my older Note 4 cellphone, it is rooted with Android Kit Kat 4.4.4

It won't log into their server for some reason.
I sent an email in late on a Saturday evening, and got a call from the SPOT technician about 9 a.m. on Sunday morning :o

I was shocked..... he asked about the situation, my setup and said he would call back. He did, about 2 weeks later to see if it is still not working...

he said the developers had upgraded the server software, and apparently did something that screwed up the older Android software from working now.

I installed the SPOT app on my Verizon Tablet and it worked 1st time.
I'm not going to argue as to the merits of any of the systems,
only commenting that with attention to the needs of any Satellite system, ( make sure the Antenna is facing up, and in the clear )
that my SPOT has never failed me.
~John

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 pm

As a new owner of a Spot X, I have one thing that I need to figure out.

I have found my Spot X turned on when I know that I turned it off all the way. I made sure that the unit powered all the way down with no messages saying it was working on anything. I'll pick it up later and it will be on again.

Is the power button that sensitive that a light brush will turn it on? Is there a way to keep it off unless I really want it on?

Just a minor problem, I can live with it, just looking to see if I am missing something.

Ride Safe.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:41 am

Mine is a Gen II
and the buttons must be pressed very hard, and deep to activate the function.

No experience with the 'X' version.

Mine has never turned itself back on, and I never remove the batteries.
I do use the Lithium type, the Alkalines have a very short useful lifespan.
~John

echinus1988

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Well, I am not at all sure why I have found mine on as often as I have. A couple times I noticed it said it was processing and wouldn't turn off unless I forced it to but I always check for that now. Who knows, maybe I missed it and it stayed on. Very possible since night work can make you a bit crazy.

It has stayed off so I know you're right about that. It takes a lot of pressure to get it turned on so I will assume I missed the message for the time being.

Thank you for your input.

Ride Safe.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:24 pm

John, Keep your eyes open for two 1800s riding 2 up both with Tailwind trailers. Looks like your following the same trail. My son and a friend from Texas headed for Dragons Tail. The Texas one also has Spot.

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave