Helmet Quick Connect


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
Uptwobucks
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm
Location: Kemah texas
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL
Contact:

Helmet Quick Connect

Post by Uptwobucks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:07 am



I have been considering a quick connect helmet strap. Any thoughts on these straps? If you use one, please advise.



User avatar
minimac
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by minimac » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am

While I'm not certain about the holding power of my metal "D" rings, I'm pretty sure I trust them more than the plastic quick connects I've seen. If I were to have a serious off, my helmet staying on and in place is a lot more important than the five seconds I might save putting it on.

Uptwobucks
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm
Location: Kemah texas
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL
Contact:

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by Uptwobucks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 am

minimac wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am
While I'm not certain about the holding power of my metal "D" rings, I'm pretty sure I trust them more than the plastic quick connects I've seen. If I were to have a serious off, my helmet staying on and in place is a lot more important than the five seconds I might save putting it on.
The one I was looking at was a metal/plastic connection. I would think it had to pass a safety test, but I could be wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Quick-Relea ... ck+connect

Don't think I could trust all plastic either. The reviews vary.

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by C-dub » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm

The only thing I dislike about my Shoei Neotec 2 helmet is the quick connect device. It works great on and off, but because there are no D-rings I have no way to fasten it to the helmet latches on my bike. So now I take the helmet inside with me if I have too much cargo to put it in the trunk. With this helmet, though, and the SRL I might not want to just leave it hanging for all to see when I’m inside somewhere.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
RockportDave
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:39 pm
Location: Rockport Texas
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by RockportDave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Uptwobucks wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:07 am
I have been considering a quick connect helmet strap. Any thoughts on these straps? If you use one, please advise.
I have a Daytona Skull Cap that came with a quick release and I really like it.
I bought this one for my wife’s helmet and it latches real well. It’s made of aluminum and you leave the D rings on. The one side is tough to get on, but once on, it will not come off.


Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19924
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:03 pm

While targeted at dirt bike riders, this does get a lot of really good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Metal-Stra ... B00U2TN78G

User avatar
offcenter
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by offcenter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Uptwobucks wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 am
The one I was looking at was a metal/plastic connection. I would think it had to pass a safety test, but I could be wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Quick-Relea ... ck+connect
Don't think I could trust all plastic either. The reviews vary.
I have the Echo on my helmet for the last four or five years.
Seems to work well.
Certainly easier to use than the damned D rings.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Northwings
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:40 am
Location: Maine
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by Northwings » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:33 am

I had one helmet with metal clips and found them bulky, uncomfortable and hard to latch. I had a stroke a couple years ago and my left hand is partially impaired. After fifty years of D-rings, I find them easier than clips, even with only one hand. The clips would’ve impossible without two good hands.

User avatar
IdahoHacker
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 pm
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing DCT

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by IdahoHacker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am

offcenter wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm
Uptwobucks wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 am
The one I was looking at was a metal/plastic connection. I would think it had to pass a safety test, but I could be wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Quick-Relea ... ck+connect
Don't think I could trust all plastic either. The reviews vary.
I have the Echo on my helmet for the last four or five years.
Seems to work well.
Certainly easier to use than the damned D rings.
I might give the Echo a try.

I tried another clip a few years ago, and finally gave up on it. It was just too damn hard to connect, even without gloves on.

EDIT: Well, this was in interesting quirk...I accidentally quoted the wrong post above. The one I actually quoted is, in fact, the exact quick release that I previously owned, and absolutely hated. Bought two, gave one to my father in law, and he hated it so much he took it off as well.

The post I intended to quote was the "dirt bike" style one above. Unfortunately, having looked at that one, it says if your existing strap has the snap on it to prevent the end from flapping in the wind, you have to take a screwdriver or pair of pliers and rip it out. Oh, hell no.

Back to square one. :(
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.

User avatar
MasterDaniel904
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by MasterDaniel904 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 pm

I've used the Echo for years. I put the fixed end metal U clip through the opening in the strap loop where the d-rings are located and left the d-rings in place. I can then still use them to hang the helmet. I've had two slip-and-slide accidents, at low speed mind you, due to lovely NM sand and gravel, where the helmet hit 1) a telephone pole, and 2) my trailer then the asphalt, and the clips stayed closed.
All seasons. No exceptions.

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm

I simply do not like the clips, too bulky and feels thick under my chin.

much prefer the OEM D-Rings
~John

User avatar
offcenter
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by offcenter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:13 pm

MasterDaniel904 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 pm
I've used the Echo for years. I put the fixed end metal U clip through the opening in the strap loop where the d-rings are located and left the d-rings in place. I can then still use them to hang the helmet.
Yup, me too. The D rings are handy to have.
Plus, if the clip ever breaks, the helmet will still be usable.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by Wildwilly018 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 pm

I use and love my quick release. My old hands used to fight with doing up the straps. Mine is all metal. Would look at the brand but helmet is in my bike in a friends garage hibernating. Honestly I have thought about the reliability of it, but since getting the metal one I trust it. I did have plastic ones which finally give up from doing and undoing. Mine doesn't bother me under my chine either. Mine is on a half helmet.

User avatar
seabeechief
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by seabeechief » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am

My Nolan helmet has my very favorite strap buckle system. I love it. My wife has the metal quick connect and we have had no problems with it. But we have never gone down on the bike yet, so we don't know how reliable it is. I hope we never have to take that test.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

User avatar
Sidcar
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by Sidcar » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:22 am

D rings for me every time. Buckles are to big and uncomfortable for me.
Are buckles as safe? I don't know but Arai don't use them.

Sid

User avatar
Overdog
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by Overdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 am

C-dub wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm
The only thing I dislike about my Shoei Neotec 2 helmet is the quick connect device. It works great on and off, but because there are no D-rings I have no way to fasten it to the helmet latches on my bike. So now I take the helmet inside with me if I have too much cargo to put it in the trunk. With this helmet, though, and the SRL I might not want to just leave it hanging for all to see when I’m inside somewhere.


Google tells me that your helmet is a full-face. You can get a cable-type gun lock and run it through the opening and fasten it to a luggage rack or something. I use one on my 1100 when I don't have the trunk on or if it's full....

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by C-dub » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Overdog wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 am
C-dub wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm
The only thing I dislike about my Shoei Neotec 2 helmet is the quick connect device. It works great on and off, but because there are no D-rings I have no way to fasten it to the helmet latches on my bike. So now I take the helmet inside with me if I have too much cargo to put it in the trunk. With this helmet, though, and the SRL I might not want to just leave it hanging for all to see when I’m inside somewhere.


Google tells me that your helmet is a full-face. You can get a cable-type gun lock and run it through the opening and fasten it to a luggage rack or something. I use one on my 1100 when I don't have the trunk on or if it's full....
It’s a modular helmet, but that method would probably still work pretty well.👍🏼
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
IdahoHacker
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 pm
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing DCT

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by IdahoHacker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:34 pm

That's exactly the method I used for years. Cable lock from Home Depot, and you can find places on the bike to loop it through.
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.

User avatar
tamathumper
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm
Location: Day, NY
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by tamathumper » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm

I've used quick-connects for years on my snowmobile and motorcycle helmets. Sometimes I have to take off the heavy winter gloves to get them engaged, and once in a great while they get engaged at a bit of an angle and I have to wiggle them around to get them to come undone.

Other than that, they've saved me a lot of time putting the helmet on and adjusting all the accoutrements with heavy gloves on, especially on the snowmobile helmet with the breath deflector and nose guard, the chin curtain, the bluetooth mic, the modular face and clear shield, my glasses, etc....
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

User avatar
ksdalet
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Re: Helmet Quick Connect

Post by ksdalet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 pm

I have been using Nolan helmets with the quick connect for several years. They are easy to connect. They are fast to release using one hand and hold solidly. They do not bother me and are not cold feeling. Many times I take my helmet in with me and if I do leave it with the bike I use a short cable thru the open face shield and seat handle. Just as with anything, it is a personal preference and what works for one may not be right for another.



Post Reply