ride to a stranger?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

ride to a stranger?

Post by hap2 »

When I told a potential buyer (probly just a tire kicker) he couldn't take my bike on a test drive, but saying that he could watch me ride & follow me with his car, he asked me if I would take him for a ride. I dunno this guy from anybody, so what should I say or do?

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Re: ride to a stranger?

Post by echinus1988 »

I don't know about anyone else but my answer would be NO.

Why? Because I know nothing about him. Is he knowledgeable in how to be a passenger? Will he cause me to crash my motorcycle?

There are too many scammers out there today. I don't really trust anyone I don't know around my motorcycles.

Someone here said, if they leave the purchase price of the bike in cash, then they can ride it with the understanding that it comes back in the shape it left in. Any scratches or damage and the bike is theirs to keep. I would give them a receipt and take pictures before and after to make sure it wasn't damaged in any way. Any damage and they get the title, I keep the money.

That's my opinion. Interested in hearing others since I am getting my 1982 GL1100 Aspencade up for sale.

Ride Safe!
tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Cash in my hand, you can test ride. Bring it back undamaged and get your money back if you don't want to buy it. Oh, 1st show me your mortor cycle endorsement and show me proof your insurance will cover my bike!
Or maybe just plain NO free rides and No I can't take you a ride.
I would disclose anything wrong or needing attention, if the was anything to disclose.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

No free rides. Period!
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

When checking out my 1500, the PO (an attorney, incidentally) took a picture of my Driver's License with Motorcycle endorsement and handed me the keys. Showing him a few pictures of the 1100 likely helped a little.. :D This was slightly out-of-my-way home from work on a Thursday. Not that far from the office but we live on exact opposite sides of the Denver metro area .... and of course, I left him the Jeep as "collateral".. :lol: Took the 1500 out for a 20 min ride.

That Saturday my friend Jim brought me down to PO's house, we rode 2 up on his Beemer. After the paperwork was done and the Cashier's check changed hands, Jim wanted to take a picture of me sitting on the 1500. That's my current Avatar photo, in front of PO's house. Thinking to update that, though, the 1100 feels "left out" :cry:

PO was nice enough to let us ride off with his tags and insurance. He said he would keep his insurance active until Tuesday and to just put the tags, registration and insurance papers in the mail. So I got to enjoy my new ride all weekend! :D
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I think it's crazy to expect anyone to plop down thousands of dollars on a bike without a test ride, unless your prepared to offer a guarantee of some sort- which is riskier than letting a qualified potential buyer take a ride.
hap2

Post by hap2 »

OK...I'll just tell him that after consulting other 'biker-freinds' on the subject, I've changed my mind for the reasons given to me.

Thanks for all the feedback
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I understand the conundrum,... I'd be hesitant to buy a bike I hadn't ridden, and I'd be hesitant to let someone ride my bike without some kind of assurance. In the end, who wants it worse?
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
hap2

Post by hap2 »

Right u r. So what wud u do? & / or what shud I do? Ask to see his motorcycle license before even taking him for a ride?
hwydoc2
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 25th anniversary edition

Post by hwydoc2 »

For WIW, when I purchased my 1500, the PO, who was an ex MSF instructor didn't bat an eye about letting me take it for a test ride after seeing that I had brought ATGATT for test ride with me in my car and that I had a cycle endorsement on my licence.

Having said all that, I have a 2014 Can Am up for sale currently and am of the mind to take someone with me on a ride who wants to purchase or cash in hand with the understanding you break it it's yours. :)

Al in Kazoo
alces
Motorcycle: gl1500se

Post by alces »

Sorry, no test pilots.

My 1500 is worth around $5000. My car insurance is about $1200. If someone has an at fault wreck with one of my vehicles the rider / driver gets the ticket but my insurance doubles for five or six years. Do the math. Also if the person showed a license but concealed the fact that it had been revoked in absentia the insurer could walk away and I get sued for any crash damage or injuries.

Also if the buyer isn't familiar with a heavy bike thy are more likely to have a wreck.

I enjoy owning my own home. I'll demonstrate the bike but until the ownership is in someone else's name I'm the only rider.

As far as someone signing a hand written agreement, consider it worthless in court. Insurance companies spend millions on lawyers to nail responsibilities down to the last word, dot and comma.

I have never asked for or accepted a test ride either. Bounce on the saddle and hear it run OK and have it demonstrated is fine.

If you want a test ride go to a dealer. They have corporate insurance and incorporation to protect their personal assets.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

DenverWinger wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:47 am When checking out my 1500, the PO (an attorney, incidentally) took a picture of my Driver's License with Motorcycle endorsement and handed me the keys. Showing him a few pictures of the 1100 likely helped a little.. :D This was slightly out-of-my-way home from work on a Thursday. Not that far from the office but we live on exact opposite sides of the Denver metro area .... and of course, I left him the Jeep as "collateral".. :lol: Took the 1500 out for a 20 min ride.

That Saturday my friend Jim brought me down to PO's house, we rode 2 up on his Beemer. After the paperwork was done and the Cashier's check changed hands, Jim wanted to take a picture of me sitting on the 1500. That's my current Avatar photo, in front of PO's house. Thinking to update that, though, the 1100 feels "left out" :cry:

PO was nice enough to let us ride off with his tags and insurance. He said he would keep his insurance active until Tuesday and to just put the tags, registration and insurance papers in the mail. So I got to enjoy my new ride all weekend! :D
Replying to myself! :lol: Just wanted to add another comment but too late to edit - When I took the 1500 out for the test drive, the PO did have the option of following along on his GL1800, but instead kept himself busy with the four dirt bikes in the stable, getting them ready for spring!...
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Cash in hand or no ride..if they came to buy they should have the cash..if not they are tire kickers..anyway. I have sold a dozen bikes that way, I hold the cash until the bike returns..in one piece.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

When I traveled about 100 miles north to purchase my 88 1500 (which I have since sold), the owner asked if I had experience with a heavy bike and I had to honestly answer "No", so he said I could not ride it. Heck, I was so unfamiliar with handling a big bike (my last one years ago was a Yamaha RD400) that I had him load it on the trailer when I came to pick it up.

That all being said, I would be very leery with having a stranger test drive my bike and totally agree with not having them ride along with me.
FROSTYDT
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by FROSTYDT »

With all of the liability issues out there today, I would definitely say no free rides. I would be comfortable with someone as a passenger but if they want to get the free ride go to the dealer. Otherwise it would be full cash price in hand, endorsement, ATGATT and their own motorcycle insurance.
mberk01
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2019 Harley CVO Ultra Limited

Post by mberk01 »

Regardless of whether the prospective buyer has a valid motorcycle license and has handed over the cash for you to hold, there is another aspect to consider. The bike is still titled in your name. If the prospective buyer causes a serious accident the liability for property damage, injury or death will be on you. If there is a serious injury or death the liability could run into the millions and far exceed your insurance limits. The injured party will come after all your assets, including your bank account and home. For this reason I never allow test rides. When I explain this to prospective buyers and ask them to put themselves in my position, they either understand or walk. Usually just looking at the bike and hearing it run is sufficient.
hap2

Post by hap2 »

I think ur right & will tell the potential buyer that
New wing rider owner
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspecade and 1993 GL1500 Aspecade

Post by New wing rider owner »

The first 1500 I looked at the guy wanted me to ride it and I told him that I would lose it when I stopped because I couldn't bhold up a big bike. It had been a few years since I rode the 1200 without the 2 extra wheels and had lost a lot of strength in my legs in part of that time. Ended up I couldn't buy it anyway. Made a bad mistake buying one practically like it.
Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Only one who has riden my bike is my brother because I trust him. He rides a wing also. Other than that, no one else rides it. If I ever sold it, there will be no test pilots. Yrs ago when I bought it, it was winter. December. I am in Canada. Snow and cold. The guy I bought it from asked me if I wanted to take it for a ride. He said you should try it before you buy it. I insisted that was ok. Didn't come prepared for ride. Well needless to say, it was my first time on the back of a bike. I am 60 and have been licensed since I was 16. Swore I would never ride------- you know what I mean. He insisted I see how the bike ran and handled and rode and shifted. So he gave me a helmet and way we went. Was still going to buy it anyways. Have to admit it was a nice ride on the back. But since I had never had to get on and off the back it was interesting lol.
Jag39
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Jag39 »

It has gone both ways for me. I bought my current GL1500, without a test ride. Mainly because it was being sold at a bike shop, for the owner, who was not available, and the bike shop didn't want to take the chance of me wrecking it. I took the plunge, anyway, because I thought it was a decent deal. On the other hand. When I was selling my KLR650 (which I wish I had kept), I was nervous about allowing someone to test ride it, because I live down a private road which has a lot of deep sugar sand on it. I offered to take it to the pavement for him (1 mile) but he said he had ridden lots of dirt bikes. He dumped it less than 100 yards from the house, busted the left mirror and scraped up the left aluminum saddle bag. He bought the bike, so it turned out fine, but never again, at least from here. I may take it to a large parking lot and allow someone to ride it there, where both damage and liability would be reduced. Will ponder on that some more.
pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones »

I have a '79 CB750F up for sale now. And a question - what about tags? In Tennessee, the tags stay with the owner, and I can keep them and transfer them to another bike. Buyer needs to get their own tags. So, unless they bring a trailer how do they get it home unless they bring tags? I guess I could give them an old expired tag and let them take their chances. Or if they come during business hours, they can run in to the courthouse and transfer the title and get tags right then. My plan for testing is much as you guys have said, but I will have a Bill of Sale prepared that we will both sign and have copies of after I have the cash. Hopefully this will protect me liability- wise if the buyer should wreck it before transferring the title.
RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
Previous bikes:
1969 Honda CL90 “bobbed” before it was cool
1981 Yamaha 850 Triple w/Windjammer
1981 GL1100 Interstate
1985 GL1200 LTD
1988 GL1500
1988 GL1500

Post by RockportDave »

To me it’s more of a case by case answer. Seeing as a 1500 is one of the heaviest bikes made, I would make a judgment call with each potential buyer. Tire kickers, no rides. Someone shows up with the right equipment on and shows me their motorcycle license, I would ask if they have ever ridden a large touring bike. Then make a judgement call.
Sometimes by letting them sit on it, watch them get it off the side stand and see if they know how to start it, you can get a feel if they know what they are doing.
Most of the bikes I bought were from friends who were dealers. They were pretty good at knowing who was competent enough to ride.
My last purchase, I showed up at the POs with boots on, jacket, helmet and after showing him my license endorsement and reassuring him I have owned and ridden GL1500s, he was comfortable letting me test ride it. He said it starts and runs great, but after riding, I knew it had carb issues and was not running right, but I was comfortable with the price.
He also gave me a copy of his insurance for the ride home.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years
Jag39
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Jag39 »

pidjones wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:25 pm I have a '79 CB750F up for sale now. And a question - what about tags? In Tennessee, the tags stay with the owner, and I can keep them and transfer them to another bike. Buyer needs to get their own tags. So, unless they bring a trailer how do they get it home unless they bring tags? I guess I could give them an old expired tag and let them take their chances. Or if they come during business hours, they can run in to the courthouse and transfer the title and get tags right then. My plan for testing is much as you guys have said, but I will have a Bill of Sale prepared that we will both sign and have copies of after I have the cash. Hopefully this will protect me liability- wise if the buyer should wreck it before transferring the title.
I keep my tags, also expect sellers to keep theirs. I've ridden new bikes home without tags, never had a problem. Always figured, perhaps incorrectly, that when I showed them the paperwork, and that the thing had just been bought, they would probably let it slide. Also, no insurance required on motorcycles in Florida. However, usually your car insurance will cover any new vehicles for the trip home.
Sharon2665
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing 1800 w/ Razor trike kit

Post by Sharon2665 »

Absolutely not. At one time we had a Suzuki 650 that was a few yrs old but had very very low ,mileage and was in show room floor condition that we wanted to sell. Weren’t asking a lot but it was a nice bike we loved and had taken great care of. Guy came and told us he had ridden his whole life etc etc. we had never sold a bike before but knew we would want to try one before buying it. So there is a dead end road right next to us that has a nice round turn around in the middle of it. We figured we would take the bike there and he could try it out on a nice road with little to no traffic. Guy took off on the bike and ended up crashing it when he tried to turn around at the turn around. Still ran but broke a mirror and did a lot of cosmetic damage. I was broken hearted. Found out he did not have an active MC endorsement had just ridden a bike years ago! (Yes we were dumb and trusting and really didn’t ask to SEE the license.) luckily he agreed to buy the bike and came back with the full amount and picked it up a few days later. Still no license and took off riding it down a major highway between towns in the morning foggy and dark and of course driving way to fast. What an idiot. We learned our lesson though and came out lucky. The bike I felt sorry for selling it to an idiot like that!
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Post by echinus1988 »

As far as tags are concerned, I keep mine. They can trailer it or ride it home but tags stay with me. If stopped, most police understand you're just trying to get it home.

My best friend sold a car to a young college student and allowed her to keep the plates on with the understanding she would remove them as soon as she registered the car. Well, about $300 later of unpaid parking tickets sent to him he decided to go to the campus. He stopped in to talk to campus police, was escorted to her class, professor demanded to know why he was interrupting his class so he told him. Campus police and my friend escorted her out so he could get his license and also got her to pay all of her parking tickets. It ended alright that time but he never did it again.

So the tags stay with me.

Ride Safe!