Shiftless old man in need of advise

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
oldcase
Motorcycle: 1979 gl 1000
1997 GL 1500 SE
1980 Suzuki 750

Shiftless old man in need of advise

Post by oldcase »

I purchased a new to me 97 gl 1500 se this winter. I am having shifting problems--most notably up shifting. I am 6-8 and 340 and have a very difficult time getting my size 18 boot under the shifter. I also have foot drop in my left foot which does not help. I can downshift okay, but just cannot make my toe go under the shifter. I looked into the electric shifters, heel-toe, and moving the peg lower and rearward. I rode a gl 1000 for years and this was not nearly as much of a problem. Perhaps, the problem is more that there is a proliferation of stoplights in Kansas. There used to be first 1 stoplight then two on the way to work, now there are 14. More shifting required. My closest answer so far is to wear a basketball shoe on my left foot. I don't think that qualifies as ATGATT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Shiftless old man in need of advise

Post by Viking »

My only suggestion would be to get some boots that fit the problem. Most of the off road boot makers like Alpine have a street version. The toe of the boot is not so thick as, say, an engineer or motorcycle cowboy style boot. I am nowhere near your size, but had this same problem with my old Harley boots when I bought a GL1800. I got some TCX boots and not only do they fit under the shifter, but they are actually MORE comfortable than my bike boots were.

https://www.amazon.com/TCX-X-Five-EVO-G ... pons&psc=1

This is just one example, and probably the most expensive of the TCX boots. I personally have the Air Tech model.

https://fortnine.ca/en/tcx-airtech-evo-gore-tex-boots

The one problem of course is, depending on your job, these may not be suitable to wear all day at work.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

You might consider a heel/toe shifter. They're not for everybody, but it would eliminate the need to get the toe of your boot under the shifter.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

Agree with the heel/toe shifter. Keeps your foot on top of the shifter at all times, which would be a plus if you're dealing with foot drop to begin with. I really like mine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

mterraci wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:44 pm
Agree with the heel/toe shifter. Keeps your foot on top of the shifter at all times, which would be a plus if you're dealing with foot drop to begin with. I really like mine.
You shouldn't keep your foot on top of the shifter with a heel-toe shifter. Put your foot next to it, then lift it up and push down on the shifter when you need to shift gears.

Resting your foot on a heel-toe shifter is the best way to wear out your shift forks, because it puts constant pressure on them.

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
Previous bikes:
1969 Honda CL90 “bobbed” before it was cool
1981 Yamaha 850 Triple w/Windjammer
1981 GL1100 Interstate
1985 GL1200 LTD
1988 GL1500
1988 GL1500

Post by RockportDave »

The 1500 I have now has pegs and wearing my riding boots (Bilt Pro Tourer) was “odd” feeling when I first got it. I have to roll my foot forward on the peg to get under the shifter. I’m used to it now, but I know what your saying.
I had a GL1200 and two 1500’s with floorboards and heel/toe shifters and I like them. They are great once you get used to them, but as WingAdmin said, do not get used to riding with your foot on the shifter.
A negative I found out the hard way about floorboards is don’t put your foot too far forward while hard cornering. Mashed my toe for about a second between the floorboard and the engine.
A positive about the floorboards is you can move your feet around while on long rides.
If you go to the floorboards, you should consider installing the shifter support if you haven’t already.
Add On’s Lowboy set mounts a little lower than the pegs which may give you more leg room.
Show Chrome makes a set that is the same height as the pegs.
Dave

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years