Best helmet on a wing with a full windshield?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
kyleboedeker
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Aspencade

Best helmet on a wing with a full windshield?

Post by kyleboedeker »

Hey all,

I've been wearing a half helmet due to the warm temps we've had, but I'm feeling like a modular full face helmet would be a lot safer. My problem is that I get so damned hot in full face helmets! When I was riding a bike without a windshield, it wasn't too bad, but I have a huge windshield on my new to me goldwing and even with the vent open I don't get much air. So the question is.... what kind of helmet are your riding with? If it's a full face/modular, how do you keep cool?

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Re: Best helmet on a wing with a full windshield?

Post by mterraci »

I've always ridden with a Shoei full face helmet. I keep the face shield open just to the first click, just enough to keep the breeze flowing in. With the windshield vent open it works well, even in the Florida heat.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I hear a lot of people saying they get hot in full face helmets, but I guess I'm just cold headed. In 96 degrees in NY or the Mojave I was hot and sticky elsewhere, but surprised that my black modular HJC didn't make my head feel hot, especially after reading a lot of posts like this.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have a Shoei Modular also, and with the Tulsa Tall screens, I was melting.

so, I bought a Madstad windshield and life is beautiful with it.
I can adjust the height to match the temperatures of the day.

cold? full height

warm, down as low as it will go and wind in my face.

https://madstad.com/collections/honda
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

Full face helmets are warm. Some are hot. I've been wearing full face for over 35 years in all kinds of temperatures.

Now I'm wearing a Shoei Neotec II. It's got decent ventilation on top. The chin vent isn't great, but that may be because of the lack of wind actually hitting it because or the windscreen even with the vent on it open.

I like riding with my windscreen one notch up from the bottom or all the way down. My wife complains about the wind too much with it down like that, so I have it all the way up when she's with me. That makes my head warmer, but my wife being with me makes up for that. No, I'm not saying she's cold, but rather that I enjoy riding and being with her and will tolerate the increased temps to have her with me. I just wanted to clear that up before one of you jokesters ran that up the flag pole. :lol:

I will pop she helmet shield open one notch when it gets above 90-100+ degrees, but that just increases the noise so it's a give and take. The noise isn't too bad and is better than my last HJC IS-Max modular, but then everything about the Neotec-II is better than that helmet except for the weight.

So, to sum up with no disrespect intended at all, suck it up buttercup. Full face helmets are warm and when the temps rise there's not a great deal that can be done to mitigate that IMO. There are some small things that can be done to help like cool towels and other things, but even those won't last too long if you're on a long trip. At least we're still riding!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

kyleboedeker
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by kyleboedeker »

C-dub wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 am
Full face helmets are warm. Some are hot. I've been wearing full face for over 35 years in all kinds of temperatures.

Now I'm wearing a Shoei Neotec II. It's got decent ventilation on top. The chin vent isn't great, but that may be because of the lack of wind actually hitting it because or the windscreen even with the vent on it open.

I like riding with my windscreen one notch up from the bottom or all the way down. My wife complains about the wind too much with it down like that, so I have it all the way up when she's with me. That makes my head warmer, but my wife being with me makes up for that. No, I'm not saying she's cold, but rather that I enjoy riding and being with her and will tolerate the increased temps to have her with me. I just wanted to clear that up before one of you jokesters ran that up the flag pole. :lol:

I will pop she helmet shield open one notch when it gets above 90-100+ degrees, but that just increases the noise so it's a give and take. The noise isn't too bad and is better than my last HJC IS-Max modular, but then everything about the Neotec-II is better than that helmet except for the weight.

So, to sum up with no disrespect intended at all, suck it up buttercup. Full face helmets are warm and when the temps rise there's not a great deal that can be done to mitigate that IMO. There are some small things that can be done to help like cool towels and other things, but even those won't last too long if you're on a long trip. At least we're still riding!
ha yeah I guess I can just deal with it. I also had this grand idea of using a 12v air mattress pump and somehow putting the tube up into the helmet to blow some air. I experimented with the idea a bit and there may be something there, but not sure yet how I'm going to attach the tube without modifying the helmet and I certainly don't want to risk the integrity of the helmet. Guess I'll just smile through the sweat!

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

One of the BEST ways to get some badly needed air-flow is like John (AZgl1800) says, , , LOWER THE WINDSHIELD. Start with it at the lowest setting, and raise it up a "smidge" if that's too much air/wind. You'll find the perfect compromise of air-flow v. wind noise shortly. Even 1/4" adjustment will make a tremendous difference.

NEXT, , lets discuss that helmet, , , ,(<<<gently bringing his "soap-box" out of the closet for this one, , , hehe)

The full face helmets are more protection/safer in accidents but those darn things are notorious for being HOT-T-T, , and cramps my smoking/drinking habits while riding, and many are too dam heavy. Opening the shield while riding will give better air flow to the face, but less than if it were a Modular/flip up.

Modular/Flip-up/System Helmets offer protection/safety comparable to many full-face helmets with the added feature of giving MORE air flow to the face when opened. A draw-back is that some of the Modulars have poor ratings in crashes as the "lock" doesn't hold the chin closed when in full face mode, ,with the exception of the HJC IS-MAX II. It was rated at 100% for staying closed on impact. (Refer to the Sharps Lab (UK) tests/results).

The 3/4 helmets and skull caps are inadequate for riding IMHO, , ,and don't get me started on "No Helmet Law" states, , ,quit smiling you "Arizona boys", , , ,

The helmet you choose has to have the PROPER FIT for your head size/shape first of all!!! You'll find that Round, Intermediate Oval, and Long Oval matters a great deal when picking a helmet, especially on long rides with few stops. Whether you decide on full-face or modular, ,find one that fits best.
Next, choose the "safest"/ best rated helmet in your size. You will need to read up on DOT helmet requirements, and the European helmet requirements, along with any/all of the labs that do "testing/crash-impact ratings" such as Sharps lab (UK). The results will be eye-opening for sure.
Next, brand and model is highly over-rated as long as "fit" and "safety" are satisfactory.

Lastly, your budget needs to be considered too, , , but stretch it as much as possible because of the importance of the "gray-matter" that your helmet protects.

Good luck and ride safe sir!!

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I always say:
If I wanted to ride inside, looking out the windshield, breathing my own breath, I'd drive my pickup truck.
I wear a HJC half helmet with a pull down face shield just in case it rains or gets cold.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

A self contained air conditioned motorcycle helmet. I think Wingadmin posted about these not too long ago. You could try one of those out.

https://feherhelmets.com/
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

After almost 50 years of riding (including over 20 years as a motorcycle officer), and having owned & ridden with everything from shorty 1/2 helmets to full-face units, I settled on modular helmets a few years ago, and have never looked back.

The current crop offer a LOT of "modes" for use (they are, after all, "modular"). Our latest ones have (of course) the raisable chin bar, raisable clear screen, and a drop-down smoked screen.

- If it's cold out, I ride with the chin bar & clear screen closed (except for maybe 1/8" at the bottom, for added ventilation).

- In warm weather, I ride with the chin bar down, clear screen up, and smoked screen down. Lots of ventilation that way, and still have eye & face protection from bugs, debris, etc. (lots of the latter in our area - our streets & highways seldom get cleaned, and sand/gravel/oil is always pelting you in the face).

- If it's hot, I ride with both screens up & wear sunglasses.

- And finally, if it's blisteringly hot, I can ride with sunglasses for eye protection or the smoked screen only, and the chin bar raised. I don't do that often, as my current lids aren't "recommended" for use that way, so I only do so at low speeds. On the highway, I always lower the chin bar.

This gives a LOT of options for riding in various temperatures. I haven't found any other helmet design that gives decent head/face/eye protection while offering so many options do deal with weather changes.

Although I don't currently have them (they're pricey, although not exorbitant - in Canada they're around the $600 mark), one company that makes outstanding multi-option modular helmets is "Shark". All our local police departments now issue them to all our motorcycle officers, and they love them.

The chin bar on a Shark is unusual, in that when it's raised, it flips all the way over the top of the helmet to the back, and resembles a 3/4 helmet for those who find the chin-bar-sticking-straight-up look a bit silly (the sticking-up chin bar creates a lot of air resistance & feels like someone's trying to tip your head over backwards. It can be quite tiring on your neck).

Many modular helmet manufacturers don't recommend riding with their helmet's chin bars up out of the way.

Not so with the Shark helmets - they're designed to be used that way, and meet most of the world's safety standards (including the most stringent ones), even with the chin bar raised.

I'm sure there are other modular manufacturers out there now that use the same system. I'd suggest checking them out.

I believe that modular helmets have finally hit the mainstream, and rate a serious second look for all-around protection & weather comfort.

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by thunderwing »

I have an evoline series 3 that I got from revzilla on a closeout about 2 years ago for $175. Love the helmet. Mh434 is right, this helmet is very unique, and build quality is spot on. Features are very functional and works for all weather.....also shark now makes integral bluetooth systems called sharktooth.....how appropriate!!! Lol....

Here is the weblink to the official shark helmet website:

https://us.shark-helmets.com

Here is a link to revzilla with pricing:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sha ... lid-colors

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry sold
1987 Yamaha Radian sold
1983 Gl1100 interstate sold
1983 GL650 Silverwing sold
Trucker/ Videographer