Illinois Rider's and the Tollway

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Illinois Rider's and the Tollway

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

For those of us that have the (dis)pleasure of riding on the Illinois Tollway system where/how did you mount your iPass? I'll be riding to Kentucky in late May and I will need to get to I-65 south and don't see any way of getting there that wont' add significant hours and or traffic. This is one of the times I need to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible.

The wife will be pulling the camper and once we get to point B we will relax and put in some nice miles on the back roads of KY.

Our trip will consist of camping by Mammoth Cave taking a day drip to Cummins Fall State Park in Cookeville, TN. Thinking of taking a ride over to the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. All other days are open for relaxation and nice easy rides.

If anybody has some other good locations to visit please let me know.

Thanks - Doug

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Illinois Rider's and the Tollway

Post by C-dub »

I would call the toll tag / iPass people and ask them.

For Texas, I called and asked the folks here about this and they said that for motorcycle riders they did not need to mount it on the front of the bike like cagers do on their windshields. They told me I could keep it in a jacket pocket if I wanted, but since it is linked to our license plate I don't really need to have it with me at all here.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

C-dub wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 am
I would call the toll tag / iPass people and ask them.

For Texas, I called and asked the folks here about this and they said that for motorcycle riders they did not need to mount it on the front of the bike like cagers do on their windshields. They told me I could keep it in a jacket pocket if I wanted, but since it is linked to our license plate I don't really need to have it with me at all here.
Your folks must be smarter than ours, they claim to have one for motorcycles, it's a license plate model and the size and hole alignment is the same as the ones for cars. Good thing I needed an extra license plate mounted one.

This is from their website, none of the options are very attractive.
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug »

In Oklahoma we have PikePass. the one for motorcycle is a bulky hard plastic box about the size of a, well 3x2x1/2. Mine is glued and taped inside the fairing. Some just throw it in the pouch or in the back. The authority knows this and they know the pike pass is ineffective. Effective about 20% of the time. The bell goes off, they take a picture of your tag,check the computer and all is good. Another new product for Oklahoma is the insurance cams.Posted on certain highways mostly big city interstates and major highways. If your picture of tag is taken and checked and no insurance, into the data base, licensee revoke and vehicle hauled off etc. Also note that the state has a motel tourist tax for visiting oklahoma and even if your are a resident. You gotta love it.
" Riding on Tulsa Time "

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

redbug wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 pm
In Oklahoma we have PikePass. the one for motorcycle is a bulky hard plastic box about the size of a, well 3x2x1/2. Mine is glued and taped inside the fairing. Some just throw it in the pouch or in the back. The authority knows this and they know the pike pass is ineffective. Effective about 20% of the time. The bell goes off, they take a picture of your tag,check the computer and all is good. Another new product for Oklahoma is the insurance cams.Posted on certain highways mostly big city interstates and major highways. If your picture of tag is taken and checked and no insurance, into the data base, licensee revoke and vehicle hauled off etc. Also note that the state has a motel tourist tax for visiting oklahoma and even if your are a resident. You gotta love it.
IL takes pictures of plates on vehicles that don't trip the reader, but after five violations in the same month you need to pay the cash rate which is double the iPass rate. I'll be going through at least 6 tolls round trip.

Sounds like you have had some former politicians from IL relocate to OK. They never met a tax they didn't like.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I have an EZ-Pass on my bike. They have a special one for motorcycles (it has a big black "M" on it) that gets you reduced toll rates. The "M" is so you don't go using it in your car, as it would be visible. I used 3M fasteners to adhere it to the inside of my windshield, just above the glareshield. It works very well here:

My EZ-Pass
My EZ-Pass

I've tried a number of ways: putting it in a jacket pocket (doesn't work), in a thigh pocket (works about 20% of the time), holding it in my hand as I go through (works about 50% of the time). Mounting it like you see in the picture, it works pretty much 100% of the time.

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

I wish IL had a motorcycle specific iPass. I guess I’m going to get their special Velcro strips so I can change it between bikes.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 pm
I wish IL had a motorcycle specific iPass. I guess I’m going to get their special Velcro strips so I can change it between bikes.
I bought the special 3M Velcro-type fastener, which I actually have ended up using for a large number of different things. It's not hook and loop - it sticks to itself, and it's tough, so it can be removed and reapplied pretty much forever without wearing out. It's also quite strong:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JD ... UTF8&psc=1

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 pm
I bought the special 3M Velcro-type fastener, which I actually have ended up using for a large number of different things. It's not hook and loop - it sticks to itself, and it's tough, so it can be removed and reapplied pretty much forever without wearing out. It's also quite strong:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JD ... UTF8&psc=1
IL iPass provides their hook and loop stuff for free but I like the idea of not having to have these strips on my window all of the time.

I really don’t plan on riding the tollway that much but I know I will for this trip and then for a week while we are staying at a campground along the lake but still commuting to work.

Wonder how the iPass will work if I mount it in the empty space between the radio shelter and the Goldwing logo located below the key. Can take it on and off a needed and won’t be in my line of vision.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I have had the same experience.

NY has the E-ZPass system, but it's the same as many states in the northeast, and is run by Lockheed Martin. It's a big flat white puck, or more recently an abbreviated, rounder puck that sticks on the windshield and has an M on it for motorcycles. Other versions mount on the license plate in the front of cars.

No luck in a thigh pocket, no luck in a vest pocket, 50% luck held by hand. This year, I'm zip tying it upside down in the right fairing pocket's lid to see how that works.

I was very frustrated last fall to see a different toll arrangement in practically every state across the U.S. and back.

Some of the worst required pulling up to a toll booth, inserting a paper ticket, then inserting bills, then going on your way. Not easy on a bike, in the wind, especially when the machine wouldn't even read the ticket, let alone detect the bills. I blew through several of those because it was crappy weather at the time and it didn't feel safe at all. No way I'm risking my safety for a government confiscation scheme.

'03 GL1800A