Tire Sealent

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Tire Sealent

Post by hap2 »

What's the best tire sealant for E3's (rear). Ride-On or what's your experience?

I gotta flat today & I was lucky. The tow truck guy put a plug in it. The tire still has about 55% left, but don't want that to happen again.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Tire Sealent

Post by AZgl1800 »

I carry a good quality Tire Plug kit, it has the rope kind of plug with a small tube of sealant to put on the rope.

never needed it in 50 years of riding, but hey, it is insurance.
wonder if the tube of glue is good?
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

The best thing to do, if you want to save the tire, is to take it off and have it patched on the inside. While plugs can work, and I've done it, I did have one come out and left me stranded. Most sealants work well for creating a mess inside the tire and on the rim, but Ride On works well,too.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

When I got the 1500 I soon noticed the rear tire (an E3) had a slow leak and the bike was leaving little green sticky spots on the garage floor. Evidently the PO had added sealant.

After a month of adding air every few days I decided I'd had enough of that, the E3 was cupped and noisy anyway and the tread had gone thru 2/3 of it's life. I spotted the leak in the middle of the tread, evidently the sealant works pretty good, the tiny puncture would have likely gone flat within hours instead of days. I briefly considered plugging it, but with the overall condition of the tire decided better to just replace it.

I took the rear wheel into the local stealership and had an E4 mounted, the tech cussed me out real good for having to clean all the green slime off his tire machine and the wheel.... :lol:
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Have used RideOn for years. It is the best by far. It also balances.
Be sure to follow instructions when installing it.
hap2

Post by hap2 »

Thanks for all the comments
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

tfdeputydawg wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:49 am Have used RideOn for years...

I've read that most sealants have the potential to explode if exposed to sparks and you should notify the tire changer that an aerosol type sealer was used. Does RideOn also fall into that category?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
tfdeputydawg

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Fiberthree wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:56 pm

I've read that most sealants have the potential to explode if exposed to sparks and you should notify the tire changer that an aerosol type sealer was used. Does RideOn also fall into that category?
No it does not. RideOn is not an aerosol.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I have a very hard time believing that. Most of the sealants I've worked with are water-based.

I think the reason is more that if the tire changer isn't aware of the sealant in the tire, it can make an unholy mess all over the tire changing machine that takes forever to clean up. Ask me how I know. :)
hap2

Post by hap2 »

What about Fix-A-Flat? Does IT have a potential to explode?

See:

https://www.fixaflat.com/us/index.php
Fiberthree

Post by Fiberthree »

WingAdmin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm

I have a very hard time believing that. Most of the sealants I've worked with are water-based.

I think the reason is more that if the tire changer isn't aware of the sealant in the tire, it can make an unholy mess all over the tire changing machine that takes forever to clean up. Ask me how I know. :)
I just finished reading some articles about these. The consensus was that they no longer use propellants that are flammable (which was the culprit) but that the goo that was being injected could be more trouble and expense. These included hardening and throwing off the tires balance, ruining TPM devices, ingredients being corrosive to the wheels, incompatibility with some tires, ineffective on large punctures, and just plain messy.
All in all I think I will stay away from this type of product. Even on my four wheel vehicles.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
hap2

Post by hap2 »

So what do I do? So far, I haven't found any shop willing to patch the inside cuz they say it's too dangerous if the patch comes loose even when it's plugged as it is now. I still have 50% left of good tread.
tfdeputydawg

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Fiberthree wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 am
WingAdmin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm

I just finished reading some articles about these. The consensus was that they no longer use propellants that are flammable (which was the culprit) but that the goo that was being injected could be more trouble and expense. These included hardening and throwing off the tires balance, ruining TPM devices, ingredients being corrosive to the wheels, incompatibility with some tires, ineffective on large punctures, and just plain messy.
All in all I think I will stay away from this type of product. Even on my four wheel vehicles.
I state again, there is no mess with RideOn. Once properly dispersed, it stays in the tire. It does not make a mess when tire is changed. It does not harden ruining the balance. It is not to be used with Hondas unprotected sensors in their TPMS.
Fiberthree

Post by Fiberthree »

Here is a quote from the Ride-On web site: https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tpms

Possible problems with Honda motorcycles
It has recently come to our attention that the TPMS sensors on late model Honda Goldwings (2009, 2010, 2012) are not sealed with an epoxy coating. Just using your hands, you can snap open these sensors. This leaves the sensor’s innards (battery and electronics) particularly vulnerable to any moisture/vapor or liquid. Therefore, we recommend that all of our dealers and customers refrain from installing Ride-On in late model Honda Goldwings (2009, 2010, 2012, and newer) until further testing proves our product’s compatibility. Also, certain KTM 1190 and 1290 Adventures may have unsealed (non-potted) electronics and therefore should avoid the use of our sealants.

Unless you own a late model Honda Goldwing, you should have no problems using Ride-On in conjunction with your TPMS equipped vehicle(s). However, should a TPMS sensor fail, as they do from time to time, we recommend that you take your motorcycle to a Ride-On dealer for servicing. Ride-On washes out easily and leaves no residues. When requesting a warranty claim on your sensors, there is no need to volunteer that there was ever any substance in your tires.

Seem that it should work for you. The claim that their product is a gel and washes out makes it sound harmless enough, but I would notify the tire changer when it comes time for a new one.

Ed