How much risk is too much risk?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How much risk is too much risk?

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 pm

Once again reading up about the tragedy in New Hampshire, and thinking about the recent rides I've taken. In just about every single one of them, I have had to do some sort of emergency maneuver to avoid being hit by a clueless idiot not paying attention to the road. The epidemic of phone-addled drivers is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I'm suspecting that something will have to give. Either some serious legislation, with TEETH, and that is ENFORCED, to stop this scourge of phone-using drivers, or I have to start thinking about whether or not riding a motorcycle will continue to be in my future. Is the pleasure and joy of riding motorcycles worth the potential risk from idiots on the road?

I would be happy with the use of a phone while driving being made a primary offense (i.e. they can pull you over if they see you with a phone in your hand), with serious fines and penalties. $1,000 first offense and 30 day license suspension. The penalties increase tenfold for each subsequent offense. Cause an accident while using your phone, it's a criminal charge with mandatory jail time.

In a perfect world where I am king, this law would go into effect tomorrow. I'm just so sick and tired of having to continually save my own life from clueless idiots who don't give a damn who they hurt, maim or kill as long as they get their Facebook fix.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: How much risk is too much risk?

Post by C-dub » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 pm
Is the pleasure and joy of riding motorcycles worth the potential risk from idiots on the road?

I would be happy with the use of a phone while driving being made a primary offense (i.e. they can pull you over if they see you with a phone in your hand),
Yes.

It already is here in Texas. Although, the fine isn't that high. My daughter got a ticket because the officer said he saw her looking at her phone. She says she wasn't using it, which is what the law actually says. She had no idea why she was being pulled over and called me when she got stopped and put me on speaker. I heard the officer tell her she only had to look at her phone. I spoke up and he could hear me. I told him that wasn't what the law said and he said he didn't care and was writing the ticket to indicate that she was using it. She told him she wasn't and could prove it, but he still wrote the ticket.

We contested it telling the judge we could prove she wasn't texting or making any calls during that time and the judge didn't care either taking the officer's word (lie) over our actual evidence. The judges in this town back the police no matter what. I got a speeding ticket for going 55 in a 40. I was actually only doing 41 or 42 as I had my cruise set on 40 and the truck was coasting downhill and had gone up a little. I went to a lawyer a friend recommended that gets his tickets dismissed all the time, He drives a 2016 Vette. The lawyer took one look at the city and told me that I was screwed, to pay it, and take the deferred adjudication.

Anyway, you've been riding long enough to know what to look out for. I've been riding for 40 years and been in a few accidents me versus a car. One I didn't see coming. One I did, but couldn't do anything about it in time. And the worst one was someone that ran a stop sign coming across my bow that I t-boned on the right front wheel doing about 40mph. I had all the gear on and didn't even get a bruise despite thighs hitting and bending the handlebars. The driver wan't wearing a seat belt and spent a week or so in the hospital with a head injury from impacting the windshield.

I sold my Hayabusa about 8 years ago after having it for about 8 years. For me, it wasn't fun to ride any more and I liked to go fast. We got back on a bike again because my wife missed riding more than I knew I did. I don't foresee the time when we won't be riding now. I think it's to be quite some time into our future.

Be careful out there!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:44 pm

Ontario instituted a new law as of January 1st of this year. Drivers who are caught talking on their phones, texting, dialing or emailing using a hand-held device, such as a cell phone and other entertainment devices will be fined up to $1,000 with a three-day licence suspension and three demerit points.

Drivers with more than one distracted driving conviction will face a fine of up to $2,000, a seven-day licence suspension and six demerit points, while motorists who have been caught driving distracted more than two times will pay a fine of up to $3,000 and lose their license for 30 days.

I wish they'd do that here in Ohio.

People texting and talking on their phones while driving is the NORM here. It's odd when you see someone driving a car - particularly someone under the age of 25, and PARTICULARLY a female, who DOESN'T have a phone clamped to the side of their head as they drive.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Our cell phone while driving laws bug the daylights out of me. They are nothing but revenue generators here. Just like the red light cameras that were recently outlawed in Texas.

People are attacking cell phones because they are high profile and an easy target. What about men shaving with electric razors or women applying makeup? Or people reading a book or magazine? My daughter could have just as easily been looking a piece of paper on the floor of the passenger side or a bug that crawled out from underneath the passenger seat. Or the radio station or the title of whatever song was on the display. There's no law against any of those other things.

I view this whole texting or using a cell phone while driving thing a little like the folks going after guns or at least certain types of guns. The gun isn't the problem any more than Dodge was for that guy that just got life for running over those people in Charlotte a year or two ago. Laws don't change the violent behavior or lack of respect for others of people that are violent by nature. A law won't address the issue of drivers that are selfish or reckless no matter what any law prohibits. People still speed, change lanes or turn without signalling, and they will still find a way to text or whatever without it being obvious or any other behavior that they think they can do while driving that takes their attention away from the road and other drivers.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

youcantoo
Location: Lebanon, OR., USA - Planet Earth - Third Rock from the Sun
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200

Post by youcantoo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:12 am

In Oregon's law says it is illegal to drive while holding or using an electronic device (e.g. cell phone, tablet, GPS, laptop) You can use a hands free or built-in device that uses a single touch or swipe to activate or deactivate the device. A first-time offender can face a fine of up to $1,000 depending on the circumstances, with a minimum citation of $130 a second time and you face a maximum fine of $2,000, and the third time within ten years brings another $2,500 fine and the six months in jail.

In Oct 2017 they added more conditions for which you can not do like but also for navigating, reading a kindle, using a laptop, using social media and any other "hands-on" cellphone and electronics use.

Repeat offenders will now face steeper fines and as much as a year in jail....

It is past time that all 50 states pass laws restricting the use of cell phones and other electronic devices in vehicles that are not built into the vehicle.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 am

Over here:
It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset
voice command
a dashboard holder or mat
a windscreen mount
a built-in sat nav
The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must stay in full control of your vehicle at all times. The police can stop you if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

The law still applies to you if you’re:

stopped at traffic lights
queuing in traffic
supervising a learner driver
When you can use a hand-held phone
You can use a hand-held phone if either of these apply:

you’re safely parked
you need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop
Penalties
You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone when driving. You’ll also lose your licence if you passed your driving test in the last 2 years.

You can get 3 penalty points if you don’t have a full view of the road and traffic ahead or proper control of the vehicle.

You can also be taken to court where you can:

be banned from driving or riding
get a maximum fine of £1,000 (£2,500 if you’re driving a lorry or bus)

It might seem draconian but if your looking at your phone you ain't looking or concentrating on where your going.
But people still do it!!

Sid

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 am

38 years.
I’ve been driving, cars and trucks, military wheeled vehicles, military tracked vehicles, including self propelled howitzer M109, APCs, ammo trucks, and motorcycles from 100 cc to 1200 cc. I have never had an accident. I once rode a 1979 CBX at 238 kmh (156 mph), and drove a modified 1979 TransAm at 307 kmh (191 mph). I now ride a 1979 Goldwing, a 1984 Aspencade 1200, and drive a 2005 HEMI Durango Limited. My secret to success is trust no one.
I don’t care if that other driver is drunk, on the phone, sitting on the floor eating lunch, having sex, or watching TV. IT HAS NO BEARING ON MY SAFETY. I’ve already not trusted him/her, and will only come near and/or pass that vehicle once I’ve watched it long enough to determine it isn’t a threat. If it might be a threat, I’ll stay far away from it. I don’t need to pass.
Now don’t get me wrong. I love to pass. I love to honk my horn. I like to throttle my down pipes at intersections, AND on the open road. But I won’t give another driver the opportunity to hit me, or cause me to hit them. I WON’T LET THEM CAUSE ME TO PARTICIPATE IN THEIR STUPIDITY! I respect the laws, specifically the laws of nature. If you don’t give yourself the appropriate distance to stop, then someday you won’t be able to. If you drive like an idiot, you’re going to have an accident. If you don’t pay attention, you’ll end up paying for it.
I treat driving as a job, as well as a delight. And as long as I work at it, it will remain a delight. I watch the traffic around me. Always. I ensure that I can’t be in an accident. I don’t tailgate, and if someone tailgates me I either pull away, or let off on the throttle until they pass me. I don’t brake check, I don’t antagonize, I drive truly defensively. And I don’t let the other driver get to me. I respond, and that way I rarely have to react. And I leave room to react.
If you watch this new breed of riders on YouTube, you’ll see that they are all authors of their own misfortune. They trust everyone else with their lives, and they’re actually surprised when their bike is laying in a heap on the road, and they’re crawling around in pain, wondering what happened. Their own arrogance, their trust in someone they don’t know, and their failure to leave enough space to respond has cost them. Constantly speeding, disregard for others, disrespect towards police, other drivers means that they’re distracted by their own stupidity every time they ride.
The secret to success is TRUST NO ONE. Be aware. And stay safe. Even if safe is sitting off the road having a pop. Live to ride, and live to enjoy the ride.
My grandmother once gave me the absolute best advice on driving. She said to me that you’re never as well off as before an accident. Your vehicle isn’t scratched, dented or broken down. You don’t have any scratches, bruises, or broken bones. Use insurance as a last resort, not a license to be stupid. I may be hit by an airplane crashing, or a UFO, but I won’t let another vehicle hurt me...ever.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

robotreto
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE

Post by robotreto » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 am

What you say makes a lot of sense, I drive the same way and never had an accident in 30+ years of driving. But what if an idiot hits you from behind ? Or shoots you down at an intersection while you had green and he had red ? This residual risk made me think many times to sell my bikes and buy a cabriolet instead. Your chance of surviving such an idiot is way higher inside a car than on the bike. One day I will have to go ahead and trade my Goldie to a Mercedes SLK.

saamiam
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade gl1200

Post by saamiam » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 am

Risk... exposure.... complacency... suffering from CSDD (common sense Deficiency Disorder). Could of, should of, would of... Prevention... Reactivity vs Proactivity.. mitigation, elimination. hazard recognition.. behavioral tendancies.

Ladies and Gents, young and old, you are now stepping into my arena. My father was a Safety Engineer starting in the 60's. He was a contributing author for the OSHA 1926 and 1910 standards in the 1970 federal roll out of the standards. He went on for 40 years for Aetna underwriting, investigating, educating and mitigating Risk. He had me cpr certified at age 7. Little did I know how he would influence my life...
It wasn't until I was 30 and after 10 years a US Marine that I found myself becoming him. For the past 20 years I have been a practicing Safety & Compliance Engineer. I've achieved and maintained my CSP as well as a Train the Trainer certification in OSHA 1910, 1926, USACOE, NAVFAC and the USDOE National Nuclear Security Agency. In most recent years I traveled globally troubleshooting problematic projects in some of the worlds most dangerous countries where Safety is not even a translatable word. I've developed a methodology for bringing a safe mindset successfully everywhere I have gone.
20 years has taught me alot, I've seen some terrible things. What I want to share with you and offer as food for your brain is my very simple but effective Zero incident way of life. It has worked for me in the Philippines and deep mountains of Mexico where I have made sites incident free and US level of compliance.
A.C.D
AWARENESS - know what is, could, would, might or could possibly happen around you AND those around you. Recognize the potential and remain prepared for it. All the time

COMMUNICATION - Communicate by any and all means possible the "potentials" you recognize through your perpetual awareness

DISCIPLINE - simply, keep your discipline to maintain perpetual awareness, even when you are alone.

AWARENESS - Awareness is the single most important life skill we must master and maintain to stay out of harms way. Being aware of what you do, he does, she does, that thing is doing, to maintain a state of "Perpetual Awareness" is to be able to see as far as the eye can see, in every direction, without appearing to be looking in any direction at all.

Communicating a hazard, potential hazard, things your awareness has recognized is equally important to maintaining an incident free life. If you see it, say it.. say it with a horn, your mouth, hand signals, a rev of the engine. Flash of the lights, wave of the arm. Communicate, early and often.

Discipline. Im not talking about punishment here, I mean self discipline. It's one thing to be aware, to communicate, but without self discipline, complacency becomes comfort. Discipline yourself to make the above as instinct, muscle memory...
Like my fellow Veteran above, Ive been driving and riding bikes for 40 years and Ive never had a wreck. Plenty of near misses but my awareness and discipline saves me everytime.
When I ride my motorcycle I 1.) assume everybody is going to **** up. The guy approaching the intersection is going to run a red light. The guy next to me doesnt see me. The guy in front is going to lock up his breaks, every oncoming car is going to hit me head on., that dog is going to run out in front of me.You must continually process that i formation realtime and always have an exit away from disaster.
Ride 3 to 5mph faster than everybody else around you so that you are always moving up, never lagging in a blind spot. You must be a proactive rider and look for the signs.. examine every vehicle, look at its driver even from a distance and through the windows you can see a the outline of a person and gage his or her awareness.
This has worked for me, my children and the thousands I have educated..

God Bless

Jeff

gbearth
Motorcycle: Gold wing 1500SE sold
Goldwing 1800 GL

Post by gbearth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:09 am

Using a mobile phone in the UK has been against the law for many years. There have been many horrific accidents by drivers in cars and trucks causing multiple deaths. Many cyclists (peddle bikes) have turned vigilantes and recording drivers then passing the information on to the police. The police now have unmarked cars with video equipment and big trucks so they can see other truck drivers and look down into cars. If you get caught and accept the fine it’s 3 points on your licence and £200 fine ($265) if you try to plead not guilty and are convicted 6 points on the license and a min of £1000 fine ($1350) 12 points and you loose your license for 1 year. Getting points on your licence increases your cost for insurance of the vehicle. There is also programs on the TV showing what can and will happen if you drive and use a mobile phone. It is working here in the UK but there will always be idiots who think they know better

mudplug
Motorcycle: 1989 HONDA GOLDWING
ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Post by mudplug » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:22 am

In England they have now passed a Law against using a mobile phone in the car no matter if you are driving or stopped with the Engine running but sadly we still get those brain dead idiots texting or looking at a Film while they are driving !! We also have the problem of people from Eastern Europe who half the time have not even taking a driving License test but just pay the right money in their country and get a License without even being in a car !! And NO that is not Racist just fact.

After three VERY near misses which were 1. going round a bend to find some idiot on my side of the road going like a Bat out of hell overtaking and actually hitting my mirror and smashing it even though I had swerved right into the edge of the road to avoid being hit. 2. A bloody woman pulling right out in front of me and how I missed her I will never know, just lucky I guess ? 3. A car on the opposite carriageway coming over the central reservation onto my side of the road and hitting the car in front of me with bits flying everywhere but only my Guardian Angel saved me that day.

I have now decided to sell my Goldwing and give up bikes, it's a gut wrenching decision but a sensible one I feel, I am now 71 years of age so as much as I like to think my reactions are in top form the fact is I am slower to react although I would not admit to it lol but have decided that if I am going to be hit then I want a lot of metal all around me and not my flesh and Bones taking the hit.

Add to this the amount of people who are on Drugs, Alcohol, the narrow roads we have in the UK and the standard of driving shown by many it starts to get pretty scary :-(

Maybe one day I will change my mind and get a small bike? but at the moment I think enough is enough

Greenman
Motorcycle: 2014 F6B

Post by Greenman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:22 am

I understand all of the sorrow and frustration in reaction to the tragedy in New Hampshire.

Here's at least part of my take on it.

We take our lives in our hands every time we get out of bed.

I might slip in the shower this evening and not see another tomorrow.

I might get in a car and have the unthinkable happen.

I might walk down a sidewalk or be riding my beloved F6B and be mown down by another motorist, under whatever condition, texting, distracted, avoiding a squirrel, having a heart attack.

Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

The question for me is how shall I live today that when my time comes I am at peace with it?

Will I allow the fear of what "might be" to dictate my "what is here and now?"

quasi2008
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I INTERSTATE

Post by quasi2008 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 am

4 or 5 weeks ago the wife and I were on our 82 interstate riding over in Pa on Rt40 heading east to the Grantsville Md area. 3 times, I repeat 3 times, within an hour I had to do emergency maneuvers because of vehicles being operated by cellphones. then on I-68 coming back to Morgantown a black Ford Explorer with Virginia plates passed me and cut directly in on me and abruptly slowed and I had to avoid another crash. there was no legitimate reason for them to cut in on me like they did as there was no traffic around us. this was all on a Saturday. Monday morning I told the wife I was selling the bike, lift and everything else I could. I put it on the facebook marketplace and had a buyer within 10 minutes. he showed at noon on Tuesday and took the bike and the lift and a couple other do-dads. I've been on bikes since the early/mid 70's and it has gotten so bad in this area it is just not worth it anymore. so the bike is gone, all of our riding gear was donated to the Southern Cruisers for St Jude auction at the Southern Cruisers national rally last month.
man can't live on air alone!

browntuna5647
Motorcycle: "1982 GL1100A Aspencade"

Post by browntuna5647 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:45 am

I also think that it's not only the phones are a distraction, but added to that is that people in general have forgotten how to drive in general. When I learned to drive it was in a large Pontiac 4 door with the driving instructor on my right ,and three other trainees in the back. You learned to be patient, cautious and very aware of your driving laws. How many times have you encountered at a 4-way stop, that nobody knows who goes first, they can't keep their tires from riding on the double yellow line, their way left of center coming around turns, and they mash the throttle like it's a race event. We had to parallel park a big car into a specific spot with just enough room to fit with precision. Today's testing does not even compare to that. Every single time I ride I have always run into someone who is either making a bad decision, talking on their phone, or not paying attention , that I have to compensate to get out of harm's way. It's bad enough driving a car on today's roads, you have to use what I call the "Steeler-Defense" mode to stay alive. And that' a shame, because I used to enjoy driving or riding my bike, but anymore I don't at all.

canuck623
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Level 3

Post by canuck623 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:14 am

I have reached that point. 4 years ago I was involved in a head on collision that should have never happened if the driver of the pick up had been paying attention. I decided as I was flying through the air that this was it. If I live I am done. This was on a roadway that should have posed minimal risk but yet here I was beaten and broken at the hands of a 64 year old in an old truck. I miss it but will never ride again.
2008 GL1800
1990 GL1500
1986 GL1200
1983 GL1100
1982 CBX 1000
1972 CB750
1966 305 Dream

Gord Jones
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Shadow 1100
1985 Honda Gold Wing Interstate

Post by Gord Jones » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 am

This is a question that I've been struggling with for a couple of years now. I've been riding since the 80's and I've seen the steady increase of distracted driving incidents. I think the laws are pretty good but enforcement is difficult as you can't have an officer following every car on the road. They can only do what they're able. As riders we know the risks and we believe that we can mitigate them with gear and practice. I see so many riders that don't practice safe riding and I believe that its only a matter of time before they're statistics. I've seen new riders buying the biggest bike that they can afford, often later in life, and driving off the lot with little or no experience. I've seen kids getting high powered sports bikes as gifts for graduation wind up as greasy spots on the highway within a couple of weeks. Motorcycling is dangerous. We know this. I believe that its part of the allure. Each of us has to ask this question each time we push the starter button. As one poster noted we never know when the end is going to come. It will happen whether we're riding or not. For me the question is what will happen the day that I don't come home from a ride? Being the breadwinner for my family that's a very scary thought. But I've always had the belief that I would come home. That belief has allowed me to continue riding and enjoying it. I consider myself a very skillful rider. I've taught many friends to ride, imparting on them my belief that the most valuable piece of safety equipment is your brain and to wear all the gear all the time, regardless of the weather.

All that said, I still ride. I pick my days and times more carefully than I used to. I tell someone the route that I intend to take and always have my mobile with me. But I can see the day coming when I will choose to stop riding. With a little luck it will be a free choice and not one that's forced upon me.

jpatt1555
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by jpatt1555 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 am

I have a question, is it possible to scramble the phone signal around you so people around you for a certain radius would not be on their phones ?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:30 am

Sure there is..That would cause the phone operator to concentrate more about there failing phone than the road tho.
Oh look .my phone won't work...maybe if I push more buttons and stare at it it will start working again.
Put the phone away and just drive.It can wait.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 am

I have a question. There's a lot of them, but I do have one in particular.

I like to think that I know where everyone is coming from, in regards to their take on this very complex issue. "How much risk is too much risk?" That's a very good question. I seem able to answer it only, with another question. "Compared to what?"
Everyone has very individual circumstances, and life requirements, and ways to justify. I'm 72 years old. I know that I'm not as quick as I used to be. How much, less quick, I'm not sure. A brief history: My wife left me 12 years ago, my kids are grown up and doing their thing, I live alone in my apartment, I play my guitar, I pick up a coffee and drive down to the lake to watch the geese, I read, I study, I watch TV, etc. etc. etc. I'm financially afloat, and life's pretty good. I also ride a motorcycle. That's been happening since I was 30 years old. I ride alone. I find it refreshing and it offers me a chance to cleanse my mind. "It's a beautiful thing." It's a very beautiful thing! And I ride a lot.
I likely realize that I should pack it in, and stop riding. But what the hell am I going to do then? That's the dilemma! :roll: How do you replace something so utterly unique, as riding a motorcycle? How do you replace something that unique, and so critical, to one's peace of mind?

There.....that's my question.............Dave...............I suppose I could take up knitting! :lol:
"Assume Nothing"

youcantoo
Location: Lebanon, OR., USA - Planet Earth - Third Rock from the Sun
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200

Post by youcantoo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 pm

jpatt1555 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 am
I have a question, is it possible to scramble the phone signal around you so people around you for a certain radius would not be on their phones ?
Yes it is possible and it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Post by mytown » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:41 pm

How about something onboard the vehicle? Say something that makes the phone just screech? I know they figured it our for nearly every car radio I ever owned.

Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing

Post by Straydogg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Solina Dave wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 am
I have a question. There's a lot of them, but I do have one in particular.

I like to think that I know where everyone is coming from, in regards to their take on this very complex issue. "How much risk is too much risk?" That's a very good question. I seem able to answer it only, with another question. "Compared to what?"
Everyone has very individual circumstances, and life requirements, and ways to justify. I'm 72 years old. I know that I'm not as quick as I used to be. How much, less quick, I'm not sure. A brief history: My wife left me 12 years ago, my kids are grown up and doing their thing, I live alone in my apartment, I play my guitar, I pick up a coffee and drive down to the lake to watch the geese, I read, I study, I watch TV, etc. etc. etc. I'm financially afloat, and life's pretty good. I also ride a motorcycle. That's been happening since I was 30 years old. I ride alone. I find it refreshing and it offers me a chance to cleanse my mind. "It's a beautiful thing." It's a very beautiful thing! And I ride a lot.
I likely realize that I should pack it in, and stop riding. But what the hell am I going to do then? That's the dilemma! :roll: How do you replace something so utterly unique, as riding a motorcycle? How do you replace something that unique, and so critical, to one's peace of mind?

There.....that's my question.............Dave...............I suppose I could take up knitting! :lol:
Same here! Wife left? Check.....Live alone in my home? Check......PLay guitar? Check......Coffee and geese? Not so much......Reading, TV. etc. etc. etc.? Check......Life's pretty good? Check......Motorcycle? Check......I ride alone too and also find it gives me time to "cleanse my mind." I sure would miss riding if I couldn't. Knitting? I can't even imagine doing that instead! :-) LOL

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:18 pm

My wife of 32 years can’t ride with me due to her hip, but she loves to follow me on those curves, either with the Durango, or her Sebring. Both handle well, and I’m not ripping up the highway with a Vintage Wing. I’m enjoying the ride. So we’re sort of riding together. When I can no longer enjoy the ride, I’ll stick to guitar. I’ll stick with the “one wife, two Goldwings and many guitars”.

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm

C-dub
As I too take a dislike to distracted drivers, I also have a sadness of officers and a judge in your post. Enforce the laws with a touch of common sense, is how it should be not to place there thoughts as to what they think /feel what the law should be.. the law is the law. With the common sense, not a hard handed way.

If your town has, has much trouble as your post, you could call the FBI and make a "Color of Law" complaint.

Will most officers are good and hard working people. The few that aren't ten to be VERY poor ones.

To all of us ride safe seeing all we can to be safe.

Poptime
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500

Post by Poptime » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:10 pm
Our cell phone while driving laws bug the daylights out of me. They are nothing but revenue generators here. Just like the red light cameras that were recently outlawed in Texas.

People are attacking cell phones because they are high profile and an easy target. What about men shaving with electric razors or women applying makeup? Or people reading a book or magazine? My daughter could have just as easily been looking a piece of paper on the floor of the passenger side or a bug that crawled out from underneath the passenger seat. Or the radio station or the title of whatever song was on the display. There's no law against any of those other things.

I view this whole texting or using a cell phone while driving thing a little like the folks going after guns or at least certain types of guns. The gun isn't the problem any more than Dodge was for that guy that just got life for running over those people in Charlotte a year or two ago. Laws don't change the violent behavior or lack of respect for others of people that are violent by nature. A law won't address the issue of drivers that are selfish or reckless no matter what any law prohibits. People still speed, change lanes or turn without signalling, and they will still find a way to text or whatever without it being obvious or any other behavior that they think they can do while driving that takes their attention away from the road and other drivers.
I have seen people reading books, putting on makeup, etc. But I see people using cell phones several times every day. The difference is how often it happens. Distracted driving is distracted driving, but there has been a huge increase with cell phones.