Roaring Heat Rash!!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Wingrider73
Motorcycle: 2016 Audio Comfort Gl1800 Goldwing

Roaring Heat Rash!!

Post by Wingrider73 »

Evening all:
Just returned from a 1,100 mile road trip and about half of that was during a 11 hour run through 100+ degrees temps and then add the road heat. Needless to say, this resulted in a roaring case of heat rash. Said all that to say this - any suggestions as to a set pad or something to allow cooler air to circulate under my legs? If there is a product out there that will do what I need, what is the product name and were can I purchase one?

My bike is a 2016 gl1800. The older bike I traded for this one had 'air wings (?)' that you could adjust to force air toward the rider. What is your opinion for a set of these? Where to purchase??

In about a month I am doing a similar long distance run so need something to prevent heat rash.
Any suggestions welcome...
James

Riding on a PRAYER and a Wing - praising God all the way!

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Roaring Heat Rash!!

Post by Good Hondog »

Believe it or not, a sheepskin seat cover works great for keeping your butt cool in hot weather riding. Just toss it in the trunk or saddlebag when not in use and you'll always have it with you ready to utilize in either hot or cool weather. I doubted it until I tried it but it actually works.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Bead seat. Best $10 you'll ever spend.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

I also ride a 2016 and am in the nice cool area of Texas.

I've been experimenting with clothing more this summer in the heat. for the lower regions I bought some armachillo underwear from Deluth Trading Co. and it seems to be working great. I haven't done any 11hr+ stuff in that kind of heat yet. So far only 98-99 with heat index aroun 110 for 2-3 hours. No heat rash issues for me yet. I've also been wearing thin lightweight pants with ripstop underneath my mesh riding gear. For the top I'm trying out some of my Underarmour compression heat gear under the mesh jacket. all of this is working out pretty well so far. I had my wife try some out a couple days ago on a 200 mile ride and she was a little surprised it worked so well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

There's a product called Anti Monkey Butt Powder. It won't help with keeping you cooler, but it can help to prevent heat rash.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

nwkwinger wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:14 pm
There's a product called Anti Monkey Butt Powder. It won't help with keeping you cooler, but it can help to prevent heat rash.
I was going to suggest this, and also that you get a Phase Change vest to keep your body core cooler.

I have this one https://www.glaciertek.com/high-visibility/
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I have to say, all of the powders and creams are just treating the symptoms.

The bead set provides ventilation, and prevents the rash from ever happening in the first place.

I have big tubes and cans of Anti-Monkey Butt Powder, Chamois Butt'r, and other salves. I don't know where they are, because once I put the cheap bead seat on there, I didn't need them any more.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

For those that find those bead things comfortable to use, go for it. If it works, great!

I do not find those things comfortable and would rather find material that wicks the moisture away from my skin to help prevent this and keep me cool. Whatever works best for each person, right? Everyone is different and there is no perfect solution that will satisfy everyone. Hmmm, sounds familiar. ;)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Agree with C-Dub on this one. To each his own, but what worked for me was a change to a different style of underwear, that I never would have worn in my younger days. The new tech stuff really works. The one I use is LD Comfort. I tried beads, and gel and sheepskin and waffle pads and "for me" none of that did it. I know other people who swear by beads and sheepskin pads and for them, that is fantastic. For me it was (as C-Dub said) wicking the moisture away from my tender epidermis so I was not "boiling in my own oil" so to speak. I was informed about this stuff by a bicycle rider who rides thousands of miles on a bicycle. I decided, if it was good enough for them guys, I should try it. On multi day rides, at the end of each day, I wash them out in a bathroom sink, rinse them real well and drip em dry so they are ready the day after the next. I carry two sets.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I'm not entirely sure he's talking about what everyone is suggesting solutions for.

The hot air exiting from the side vents on the Goldwing is whatever the ambient temperature is, plus whatever heat the radiators have dumped into it. The engine has to get rid of excess heat. It does this by transferring the heat of the engine to the coolant (at close to 220 degrees F), and then transferring the heat from the coolant to the air going through the radiators.

The air going through the radiators absorbs the heat from the radiators, and in doing so, the temperature of the air goes up.

Now when the ambient air is 70 degrees, and the radiators raise that by say 30 degrees, you get air that is 100 degrees, and your body can handle that easily.

But when the ambient air is already 100 degrees, and you dump another 30 degrees into that, you get 130 degrees - and that temperature will burn exposed skin in 15 seconds, and covered skin after a few minutes. The longer your skin is exposed to heat, the less temperature required to cause a burn. After hours of riding in 100+F temperatures, the hot air blowing on your legs can easily cause burns, which look like a red heat rash - but are in actuality serious burns.

So the answer is to a) redirect the heated air away from your body, and b) wear more protective, heat-insulating clothing. Wind wings definitely help with the former, and any decent riding gear helps with the latter.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I think he is talking about getting heat rash on his legs where the person meats the seat, not heat rash from heated air exiting the bike.

I use a beaded seat cover by BeadRider https://www.beadrider.com/.

Allows better air circulation under the person where you meet the seat.

There is also an Anti Monkey Butt Powder https://www.antimonkeybutt.com/ you can use. I've never tried it so I do not have personal experience with it.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Wingrider73

Post by Wingrider73 »

Thanks so much guys... all good advise.
I am prone to a fungus that develops between my scrotum and checks of my butt. Even working around the house, if I sweat anywhere it will be in this area. My pants look like I sat in a pool of water. (:

The rash turns really red and burns at the touch when bathing. I went to the doctor recently for medication to heal and so far it is taking longer than expected. I am using Nystatin power and Nystatin cream. Hopefully in time this will work. However, the next time I take an extended long ride trip in the extreme heat I will go through this all over again. So, for me, the solution is to keep my butt as cool as possible. I will investigate the recommendations given.
If you have ever experienced fungal rash in that area, it can be really discomforting.

One more thing - if anyone has a set of wind wings that will fit a 2016 gl1800 HPMG you are no longer using I will certainly be interested in a purchase..

Thanks to all.....
Great conversation.......
James

GramKate
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and 2008 GL 1800

Post by GramKate »

I had sheepskin covers on my car seats for years and loved them. No burning heat in the summer and no freezing in the winter. So when I got my own motorcycle, the first thing that I did was purchase a sheepskin cover for the seat. While my husband and others complain of that "burning hot seat", I'm as comfortable as can be. No matter how long I ride, no heat rash!

Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

Never tried the sheepskin..But many years ago I experienced saddle burn (heat rash) after a brutally hot and humid day sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the NY southern state parkway. I took an old towel

and two bungees and WA-LA no more burn at all since then. I have ridden 100's of thousands of mile with this set up. It works! And if you stop and camp and need a towel, you have one thats easily dried draped across the handle bars to dry. Road side repairs and need to kneel or sit on something besides the road surface. Instant padding. I like multitasking.
I back pack and hiking gear is great for beating some of the heat and staying as comfortable as well. Get away from wearing cotton in hot weather..Nylon swimming speedo or trunks instead of cotton briefs. I use the speedo myself. Nylon pants instead of jeans and a non cotton hiking shirt. These materials do not absorb sweat so they dry faster keeping you more comfortable.

iride4u
Motorcycle: 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour DCT

Post by iride4u »

I have been doing multi day rides for 10 years. The first time that I did Run for the Wall I was in pain after the third day. At that time I used Monkey But. I now dress properly and use LD Comfort underwear and a good pair of riding pants. No cotton underwear and jeans again.

smiley7504
Motorcycle: 1971 CB 750 K1, 1972 CB 750 K2, 1980 CB 750 Custom with velorex sidecar, 1983 naked gl1100 (sold),1995 Goldwing 1500 SE... with and without homebuilt trailer.

Post by smiley7504 »

I bought an "Airhawk" seat cushion a few years ago..This is the same type of seat cushion technology they use in hospitals for bed sores.. It is an adjustable air cushion, with a mesh covering, and allows air to flow under you.. It is a cushion, AND has air circulation!!!. If it is going to be really hot and sticky, I will also apply an "Antiperspirant" like right guard or similar to my crotch area before putting on my clothing... It prevents persperation..and reduces and or eliminates a rash..
These two things combined..and never had a problem..
If Harley Davidson built a helicopter, would you fly in it? :shock: :lol:

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y »

During the early 80's I worked four years in a BMW shop. We had several iron butt riders plus those riders tended to put major miles on their bikes. In that time I heard ideas ranging from mild to "what did you just say" ideas. Some I cannot go into details here.

I use some scuba skins ( bicycle shorts without the padding) and some sheepskin thrown on the seat and I was good to go. I went from Phoenix to just outside Columbus Ohio in two days. No problem!

Keep trying different things till you find what works for you.

Ride safe
Scooter

Ron02000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 Goldwing and 1984 GL1200a Goldwing

Post by Ron02000 »

I'm trying to figure out why there isn't a factory cooled or ventilated seat available for bikes yet. I love them on my car seats..
It seams that would be more in demand than heated seats since most of our riding is done in the heat... just sayin.

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 »

CORN STARCH. oh Yeah. there may be stuff that is soothing after you get butt rash- but CORN STARCH will do that AND work to prevent it! My ship (a DD) had no AC for enlisted berthing- we cooled the area by washing down the ship at a certain point in the temperature drop-- too soon and you got steam, too late and no help- but the washdown could drop the berthing areas by an extra 5-10 degrees- We kept CS handy and used it liberally. (fast forward 50 years and we find out that our friend talcum powder isn't so friendly to women-) point being- baby powder isn't as effective- and is made of talc, which is a METAL- a VERY soft metal, but still a metal that is not normally found in the human body- all that to say- use CORN STARCH instead of baby powder- the advantage of buying it as a baby product- is the dispenser - a plastic shaker bottle instead of a cardboard box. I still have the image of a shipmate pouring CS into his BVDs and letting waistband go and the cloud of powder surrounding him!! but he didn't have no butt rash!!

Wingrider73

Post by Wingrider73 »

Hello all:
Sorry for the late reply. I just returned from a repeat of 1,144 mile trip that started this thread. I did use medicated powder, changed from jeans to a breathable material and installed a set of Air Wings on the bike. That combination worked! At least for this ride.
I also used the sheepskin but took it off ahead of a rain and forgot to take it with me, so I can't say if that would've worked.
I am staying with the above combination until something else happens. I will purchase the Monkey Butt cream though. Just good stuff to have in the saddlebag.
thanks for all the scenarios, suggestions, and advice. I can surely relate to each one.
Ride safe....
James aka Sparky