motorcycle tire blow out & tow SAGA

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
carlwatson
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 interstate

motorcycle tire blow out & tow SAGA

Post by carlwatson »

News flash if you own a motorcycle and you don't know who these guys are you need to ,have one of their cards or do a bookmark, a save whatever you need to do to keep their number in your pocket. my wife and I were down on highway 60 tonight 11 p.m. flat tire on a goldwing called AAA (we are premier card holders) got the runaround for over two hours and they had still not dispatched the call !!! Keep that in mind, so we googled motorcycle towing companies looking for someone to give us a hand that would take AAA and found KnowTow . Debbie was absolutely wonderful and informed me KnowTow was a AAAπŸ–• sub contractor then she asked me how long we had been waiting on AAA πŸ–•to respond! I told her that it was 11 pm when we made the first call and it was well after midnight and they still had not been able to find a tow company .....πŸ€”well she got on the phone immediately with AAA πŸ–•πŸ–•and got that issue resolvedπŸ‘ and had AAA πŸ–•Dispatch the job to KnoeTow immediately and .πŸ‘Œ...along with some serious ass chewing on the AAA πŸ–• disptcher and to my knowledge it's going to be readdressed again tomorrow with there AAA πŸ–•rep. I too will be my AAA πŸ–• office in Lakeland Fantastic people at KnowTow. The service was great and Kevin came over to pick up my bike was professional the equipment he used was top-notch 100% and I've got nothing but five stars and if it had more they had got more we need more companies like this in Florida if you're a biker I can only say at some point in your life you will need a tow and knowTow is the way to goπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Attachments

The blowout
The blowout

Better to live a short life than to exist forever.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: motorcycle tire blow out & tow SAGA

Post by MikeB »

When was the last time the valve stems had been replaced?
If not every tire change, perhaps every other tire change would be a good time to replace them.

I know this is after the fact but the solid metal stems held in place with a couple of machine nuts is a good investment.

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

carlwatson
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 interstate

Post by carlwatson »

I was on hwy 60 running 70 at night vehicle in front of me sorta ran off edge of road and kicked what I think was a branch back up on road this being 2 Lane in that location there was no where to go ,got cought up in rear tire and broke the stem about half into. Tire went down in like 2 second and behaved very nicely rear got real squshie slowed to 30 not touching the brakes and drove it about 3 miles flat to a turn off. This could have been a real issue for an novice rider. I've been riding since mid 60's. I just last week traded a crouch rocket title for title to get back on this wing. As for the valves .... totally agree on the bolt ins will be also getting rid of these Dunlop tires and going with the shinko 700 series. I have never found a better (sticks to road like glue) tire for road and rain. I do my own mounting and use 6 oz of slim....beats hell out of wheel weights or beads. Will also be posting follow up on the AAA issue as we have been like with them over a decade.
Better to live a short life than to exist forever.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

If you had used Shinko's in the past on this heavy of a bike you might rethink that. They just can't handle the load and have proven to fail early. At least that has been my experience.

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA