Corbin Seat Story

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
rdmstr
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Corbin Seat Story

Post by rdmstr »

I have had a less than happy interaction with the folks at Corbin and wanted to share my experience. I have a very clean 1981 GL1100 with an original seat that is in great condition, but the seat is not the best when it comes to doing big miles. I was going to get a Russell, but didn't want to lose my original seat. I placed an order with Corbin and when the seat arrived I realized I did not view the sample seat photo on the Corbin web site close enough to see I was getting what looked like to me like a gear shift on the left side of the seat from a 1959 Mack duplex transmission. This lever is used to install, adjust, and remove the back rest, if you ordered one. I missed this, my mistake, but it looked really bad. I take the seat out of the box and slide the front tab of the seat under the frame mount, like the OEM seat. Next, I'm looking for some hardware to fasten the sides of the seat to the motorcycle and I find nothing more in the box.

I call Corbin and get a customer service person with an attitude when I explain my concerns.<<<<< my rant, now its over. I discover, after spending a serious amount of money that I have to spend another $50 + $6 shipping to actually mount the seat. Is this something anyone else has experienced? I can't provide any positive feedback for these folks. Thanks for listening.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Corbin Seat Story

Post by Viking »

After all that, I certainly hope the Corbin turns out to be the seat for you. It was not for me. Some people can sit on Corbin's for a long distance ride and some cannot.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Love my Corbin on my 1500 Trike, loved the Corbin on my 1200 from 1998 until this June. That "lever" does not need to be touched to remove the back rest, it allows you to raise it up & drop it down as you ride. I've been in a few Macks, nothing at all similar and It did not look bad on either one I had.

Was mounting hardware just two angles … or was it same as OEM on your old seat?

Sorry to hear you aren't happy.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA »

rdmstr wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm
I discover, after spending a serious amount of money that I have to spend another $50 + $6 shipping to actually mount the seat. Is this something anyone else has experienced? I can't provide any positive feedback for these folks. Thanks for listening.
What is the $50.00 getting you?

rdmstr
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Post by rdmstr »

The OEM seat has holes in the sides of the seat to bolt the seat to the bike. No such holes on the sides of the Corbin seat. The $50 is for a mount of some type that must fasten under the seat and then you bolt the mount to the OEM holes. If not, the seat slides all around. My rant involved paying some big $$$ and then being faced with an attitude of "oh, you actually want to mount the seat?" That is how I feel at this point. No mention in the ordering process of any extra $$$ to use the product.

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA »

That's weird. I just went down to the garage and looked at the underside of my Corbin. Monster fiberglass (at least I think it's fiberglass) pan, with two holes punched in each side so the bolts can go through and engage the nut on the bike.

No extra '"stuff" to facilitate mounting. It sure won't move around without bolts, due to the design. The sides of the pan drape over the frame of the Wing.

I'd be upset too, if I were you. I think any reasonable person would expect a seat to be "plug and play" out of the box.

Good luck.