Phone Mount Questions

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
aperry
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
1999 GL1500 SE

Phone Mount Questions

Post by aperry »

I'm considering buying the Tackform phone mount for my 08. I have read reviews on amazon, but would prefer to hear from some of you all if you have any experience with it.

I figure I can get it set up for under $60.
Tackform mount - $29
Ram brake/clutch mount - 13.49
Ram short double socket arm - $9.49

Thanks

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Phone Mount Questions

Post by AZgl1800 »

Take a look at the RAM X-Mount, it has a rubber retainer that fits over the corners of the phone.

https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/ram-x ... one-mounts
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

I can't really offer much help to Aperry, so this post might just be a distraction...
But I find cell phone visibility to be dismally ineffective on an open-air setting like a Wing. I have tried several makeshift mounting locations, and I have no blue-tooth, no helmet headset, so my attempts probably are doomed anyway. I mount it to the left hand fairing area, and have a charging cord there. But I can't see the screen, nor hear the sound.. so it's just for charging, and maybe pull-over & stop use. Otherwise I carry it in an inside pocket in my jacket (rib cage armor duty ??) where I can feel the vibrator function and can pull over & stop.
Blue-tooth would make a big difference in audio/voice action, but outdoor screen visibility just sucks.
Just my personal experience... now back to your regular program / thread.

aperry
1999 GL1500 SE

Post by aperry »

Thanks for the input.
I have a blu-tooth headset and listen to music with the phone in my pocket now. I was wondering how the screen would do in the sun.
I have looked at the Ram X mount and many people have abandoned them because they hit the buttons on the side and some other complaints.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Have a look at my reviews:

RAM Mount X-Grip

RAM Mount Quick Grip

RAM Mount GDS System

In the end I went with the GDS grip.

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

aperry wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:49 pm
I'm considering buying the Tackform phone mount for my 08. I have read reviews on amazon, but would prefer to hear from some of you all if you have any experience with it.

I figure I can get it set up for under $60.
Tackform mount - $29
Ram brake/clutch mount - 13.49
Ram short double socket arm - $9.49

Thanks
I've also read some of their reviews and everything sounds good. They are a local company for me so I will consider supporting them. However as others have mentioned visibility of the the phone is an issue. I have a phone mount on my Magna and during the day screen visibility is an issue. The do have a mount specific to Goldwings, it's $69.99, unless you want the chrome one, they offer free shipping; https://www.tackform.com/collections/mo ... s?sort_by=.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

I just got this Tackform mount https://www.amazon.com/TACKFORM-Motorcy ... ay&sr=8-10 Haven't had it very long but love it so far. The spring tension on the phone if very strong. When I got it I put an old LG in it and slung it around trying to make it fall out. It stayed put and has since I have installed it on the bike. It also comes with an elastic tether for added insurance. Unlike some of the tethers I have seen this one really stays out of the way and does not block the screen at all. I have a box full of phone mounts and by far this is the best one I have found. I have it mounted on a Ram Brake / Clutch double mount.

I also got this Ram Mount RAP-B-200-2U Black Mount Double Socket Swivel Arm so now my GPS is more in the middle of my handle bar and the phone is mounted on the top ball on my right side. I have my phone phone paired with my Sena headset and my J&M digital music player so I can listen to music through the bikes system but take phone calls or talk to Siri through my head set.

As far as seeing the phone screen is about the same as usual outdoors. Just depends where the sun is as to how well you will be able to see it. I had hoped the new dark theme would help but not really. The new tinted windshield seems to have helped some. Hope this helps in making your decision.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

aperry
1999 GL1500 SE

Post by aperry »

I looked at the Ram mount Quick grip and kind of like the way it holds the phone. I worry about squeezing the phone too hard and causing damage. I had a mount in the car a few years ago and it caused the speaker connection to separate.

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

Just got back from a couple of hour ride. The phone and mount acted like they were attached to the frame. They didn't even wiggle going over R/R crossings and some pretty bad patched and pot hole roads. I have an otterbox case on mine so it will have to crush the case before it will get to the phone. I made a couple of stops and each time I took the phone off (didn't want it stolen) and put it back on. Supper easy compared to the other phone holders I've tried. The only issue I had is Siri got confused having the digital music player and the phone paired at the same time. I think I'll use and old LG phone for the spotify music player and then use the iphone as my main communications.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

I really like the Ram X-Mount. Have never had the phone even remotely shift or fall out and that’s without even using the rubber retention strap. I have an IPhone 6S+ In an Otterbox so I think I ended up with the larger size X-Mount if I remember correctly. Holds the phone really tightly without damaging it.