First significant ride with wife on new trike

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

First significant ride with wife on new trike

Post by JohnUSA »

As some of you may have read, I have a new to me trike, and I've been getting after the deferred maintenance, along with a couple upgrades. Coupled that with some solo road tests to get more familiar with it, assess the road-worthiness and safety, as best I can.

Decided to go out for a ride this past Sunday. First time hitting the freeway with a passenger. Had a few gusts of wind...those are attention getters. It's weird going freeway speed on the trike. On two wheels, everything is second nature. Not yet on the trike.

Off the freeway, we took some roads along the lake. Kinda nice to take them at any speed, all the way down to a crawl, just enjoying various views. Somebody comes up behind me, I just roll over onto the shoulder, not even worrying about gravel or soft earth. The pass, I ease back on out.

Think this is going to be just as fun as two wheels, just a different kind of fun.

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: First significant ride with wife on new trike

Post by nwkwinger »

Just give it some time. I'm sure you'll get used to it. The up side is that in order to get used to it, you get to ride some more!
2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

Glad to hear you all were able to get out and enjoy the Trike. I took the wife out to dinner a few weeks ago when the temps dropped to a comfortable level and we had a good time riding the Trike. She has never experienced luxury riding like the GW before and all the room she has on the back seat so she was quite happy and to boot got a meal out of the deal!
Think this is going to be just as fun as two wheels, just a different kind of fun.
Exactly how I've been feeling. I feel like I did when I first started riding in my teens, or maybe I've just entered my second childhood... In either case I'm having an unexpectedly good time with the trike.

It does take some time and riding to get used to the trike handling and characteristics.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.
alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

Post by alwrmcusn »

Hannah and I have been "triking" for about 6 years. We find it extends our riding season by a fair amount of time. That of course depends on how you feel about cold weather riding. We both enjoy the stability of a more upright riding position. That also will depend on how you feel about rolling thru corners or driving thru corners. A lot of riders feel that trikes are only suitable for the really old probably infirm riders who are on their final few months or years ;) . Personally while I am in the older age group have found my trikes to be much more fun to ride and would like to have discovered them at a younger age.
Every motorcycle can out perform it's rider.
JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA »

We each still have our own bikes, but for the first time we're discussing dressing for cooler temps so we can keep riding (the trike) as the temps drop a bit.