What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you with your Goldwing?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you with your Goldwing?

Post by WingAdmin »

It was summertime, and my son and I were up in Southampton, Ontario for a vacation. Nearby Sauble Beach has a classic car show once a week on the beach, so we decided to ride into town and check it out. I had ridden the eight hours there just a couple days previous through pouring rain, pulling my trailer. The bike was absolutely filthy, but knowing I was going to be riding another eight hours back in a couple of days, I didn't bother cleaning it up.

As we got close, I could see that Sauble Beach was jammed. Most of what would normally be used for parking, was instead full of show cars. The streets were jammed. There was nowhere to park. But then I saw a hand-lettered sign: Motorcycle Parking - with an arrow pointing at prime parking real estate right near the beach, at the center of the action. Sure enough, there was a line of bikes parked there. I pulled my filthy GL1500 into place next to the curb, we doffed our gear, locked up our helmets, and went to go find dinner and look at the fine collection of cars.

An hour and a half later, full of Beach Burgers and having seen lots of amazing vehicles, we made our way back to where I had parked my bike. It was surrounded by some amazing bikes - vintage antiques, gleaming examples of polished chrome everywhere...and it was at that point that I realized that I was not parked in "motorcycle parking."

My GL1500, Honda's flagship bike in the year 2000, covered in mud, dust and dirt, was in fact parked in motorcycle SHOW parking.

oops!

As we started getting our riding gear out of the bike, people realized that the bike was mine, and started coming over to ask questions. I ended up staying another 45 minutes or so answering questions from people who were wandering by.

I did not win a prize. :)

My bike in the "show"
My bike in the "show"

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you with your Goldwing?

Post by C-dub »

For the first month I had me new 2016 I had managed to push the mute button in the sound, but didn’t know it. Rode around with the volume all the way up at 25 or 30 thinking the sound system sucked until one day I hit it again or noticed it and it began blasting out at me.

LMAO
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Not extremely funny but all I remember at the moment.

Walked out of a Subway restaurant after lunch. Stereotypical mom with minivan and three kids was loading up right next to me. I donned the gear, straddled over and hit start. She actually tensed and flinched as I was firing up. Then she exclaimed, "Wow, that's really quiet. Have a nice day."
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

a couple years ago my niece lisa and I were in grand rapids, mi. visiting friends, lisa rode my wing and I rode the Mighty ST 1300. on the way home we had a little detour before getting on I-96. I was following lisa and as soon as she got on I-96 she pulled over on the shoulder of the expressway and I followed. she said the bike kind of wallowed, looking over the bike I didn't notice anything so I checked the front tire, it was ok also. I had to get on my hands and knees to check the rear tire, it was flat! just as i'm kneeling telling lisa the Wing decides to fall over, the seat hits me in just the right spot on my helmet and off I go rolling down the embankment. scared the crap out of lisa :)
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

After test riding my 1200,I wanted to take my wife for her first ride on it.
All geared up..ready to go..Standing there waiting for me to start the bike...It would not stay running..
She thought it was really funny to tell ME that I had to turn the fuel lever back on if we're going to actually go anywhere.
Ha Ha Ha...Sheesh.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Just a couple of months ago....
I keep my Wing in a shed beside my house, and there is a long narrow alley that I have to ride to get to the street.
When I back the bike out of the shed, I have to immediately turn the bars full left and back up against my neighbor's
wooden fence, sort of a backwards K turn.
Well, there was a short piece of old wire fence left there from the old fence that is now long gone, only about 5 feet
or so that never got removed.
I backed out of the shed and up against the fence, and the chrome saddlebag and trunks guards got tangled in
that damned wire fence!
So there I sat. Couldn't go backward 'cause I'm against the fence. Couldn't go forward 'cause I'm well tangled
in that damned wire. And I couldn't lean the bike onto the side stand because the trunk guard would be ripped
off as the bike leaned sideways!!!!
Sominabeetch!
I finally managed to wiggle the bike an inch here, an inch there, until I could get the side stand to
hit a high spot of ground, and get off the bike!
Got the wire cutters out and unhooked the bike from the fence. I couldn't believe how well it was
tangled from just backing into it.
Later, I hooked a chain to that old section of wire and yanked it out with my pickup.
Arrgghhh!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

WA.... will see your 'parking with the show bikes by mistake', and raise you 'trying to park with show bikes on purpose. :lol:

For something different, April this year I decided to pop along to a Transport Festival at a Three Counties Showground, that had a Classic Car Show, and a Classic & Vintage Bike Show on at the same time (A classic for this show was a vehicle more than 15 years old). I remember it quite vividly because I thought I had rode into the Twilight Zone.

09:00I stopped at the outer gate and decided I would don my predator gear to ride through the showground.

As I entered the showground, I said to the marshal at the gate "I have come for the Classic & Vintage Bike Show", "That way" he said. Riding into the show ground a marshal gestured to me, as I rode up to him he said "That is some machine" I replied "I have come for the classic Show", "Follow me" he said, and led me to park up outside a large building where there was some sort of fayre thing going on. "Here ok for you"

No other bikes around I thought it is a bit early, went for a walk around, and ventured up to a field where the classic cars were. I asked one of the show arena officials "This is a Classic Car AND Bike Show is it not"" who replied "Yes it is". I asked "Why are the Classic Bikes not parked in the field with the cars as usual" who said "The Classic bikes are inside that big building" he said pointing to a large building next to the one I was parked outside. "I was directed to park my Classic Bike outside the building next to it" I said. "It is during show hours, but you will be ok to push your bike round and into the other building" said the official. So I took a walk up to the building where the classic & vintage bikes were on show, thinking 'I am never going to push big blue round to here'. I asked an orange jacket official outside the building "Will it be ok to ride my bike round into the building, I was directed to park in the wrong place, and it is too heavy to push" to which he replied "Keep under 5mph, I will wait here and keep an eye out for you". 10:30 I could not be bothered to pack my predator helmet away, so I popped it on my bonse and proceeded. The official I spoke to was waving his arms and walking towards me who said "During show hours all traffic has to be led by a event marshal" to which I replied "But you just told me I could ride my bike into the building"......... "Was that you!!!!! I thought you referring to a classic, the building is for classic & vintage bikes only". With growing bewilderment I said "This is a 2002, it is 17 years old". The look on his face was priceless "Classic, I saw you ride though earlier, and thought you had landed on the wrong planet, this is really 17 years old, WOW"
So he walks me into the building, and asked if I would be ok to ride round and park up along the back of the show bikes.
Sorted. I did not win anything, apparently the judge thought Big Blue was a solo exhibit :D

"My goodness"
"Good condition for a 2013"
"Do you ride it much"
"Do you realise this is Classic & vintage only"
"What size is the engine, must be 1000cc"
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by hondapotamus »

It wasn't funny at the time, but it sure is now (that time has passed).....

The year is 2003. I was riding a 2002 Kawi 800 cruiser and my friend was on his Valk. We decided we wanted to test drive some Goldwings and so went to the bike dealer who was hosting a Honda demo day.

We pulled in the to the lot and parked the bikes. By muscle memory I locked the bike (steering head lock). Went in and registered.

We noted that we had some time to kill and so we decided to head to the local Tim Hortons. I get on the bike, fire it up and pull away from the building and.... you guessed it... I had forgotten to unlock the handle bars. The first pull out was fine, but then the turn back didn't work so well and over i went - right over the handlebars and onto the tarmac right in front of the Honda reps signing folks up... So - mighty embarrassed. I figured for sure that they were not going to let me take their big shiny new GoldWing for a test drive - but miracle of miracles they did.

My friend had one delivered 3 days after the trip and I got mine about a year later. But that was the day I decided the GL1800 was for me - have not looked back since and the kidding about the incident has finally died down...

As I said, it's funny now... 16 years later...
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK »

hondapotamus wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:48 pm
you guessed it..
Yes I did, as soon as I read this " I locked the bike (steering head lock)".

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones »

We had been to a weekend ride-in in Georgia. Returning to Tennessee on a besutiful Autumn Sunday, the wife asked to see the Cherohalla Skyway. Of course, to get back North of Knoxville, we would then need to go up US129 "the Dragon". After the great ride up Cherohalla, we pulled into Deal's Gap. I always try to patronize their gas pumps. So, the wife gets off and I pull around to the pumps but just as I'm getting to them someone walks right in front of me. I have the habit of grabbing front brake first which of course put the GL1800 down to nap. I stepped off and said loudly "Who got the video? Come on, I'm not gonna do it again!" I quickly turned around, put my butt on her and lifted her back up and moved to the pump. I heard someone on the side (there had to be at least 25 milling around or setting out front of the station) "He's done it before, he knows how to pick it up!" Embarrasing, but funny. We then went in for a great lunch while watching the show of people coming and going enjoying their passion.

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK »

pidjones wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:15 am
We had been to a weekend ride-in in Georgia. Returning to Tennessee on a besutiful Autumn Sunday, the wife asked to see the Cherohalla Skyway. Of course, to get back North of Knoxville, we would then need to go up US129 "the Dragon". After the great ride up Cherohalla, we pulled into Deal's Gap. I always try to patronize their gas pumps. So, the wife gets off and I pull around to the pumps but just as I'm getting to them someone walks right in front of me. I have the habit of grabbing front brake first which of course put the GL1800 down to nap. I stepped off and said loudly "Who got the video? Come on, I'm not gonna do it again!" I quickly turned around, put my butt on her and lifted her back up and moved to the pump. I heard someone on the side (there had to be at least 25 milling around or setting out front of the station) "He's done it before, he knows how to pick it up!" Embarrasing, but funny. We then went in for a great lunch while watching the show of people coming and going enjoying their passion.
I like that story pid,, so funny, in a good way, especially the "Who got the video? Come on, I'm not gonna do it again!" and "He's done it before, he knows how to pick it up!"

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

My funny ha ha event happened just a couple weeks ago.
for medical reasons, the GL1800 has been sleeping in the shop since august of last year.

In the mean while, I had purchased a Piaggio MP3 250cc scooter that uses only the hand grips for brakes. right grip, front brake just like normal. Left grip, rear brake.

Took a while to get used to that, but after a year of riding the scooter to rallys ( inside the Toy Hauler ) the little scooter had become a natural thing for me to ride.

well, my shoulder finally quit complaining to me, so I decide to take the 1800 out for a day's trip to do a Meet 'n Greet with other friends about 3 hours away.

My driveway is 350 feet long from shop to street. Climb on the 1800 and off we go.

Come up to the intersection of paved driveway and street and need to come to a stop.
I pull that left hand drip down to the handlebar whilst I travel across the road nearly onto the gravel berm before I can get my foot down on the foot brake :o

I was already leaning to the left, the front brake would have pitched me onto the ground real quick.

I laughed at myself really loud, and was glad no traffic was around to witness my "incident".

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

Two or three years ago, I purchased a replacement kicker outboard motor (used Johnson 9.9) for the tender on my boat. It was one of those deals that just jumps out at you, so, even though I was on my 'Wing, I bought it.

How to transport it 25 miles to the boat??!?! Easy - tie it down crosswise across the passenger's seat. Yep, that worked!

Set off merrily down the highway, and noticed people looking over, smiling, laughing, and giving me the thumbs up. I thought "Well, I suppose is IS a BIT unusual, but not that much!"

I looked back and suddenly noticed that the Johnson's propeller was spinning around madly as I was riding. At the next traffic light, a couple in a car stopped next to me, wound down their window, and asked if the motor was providing extra power to the bike! I replied that it did, and that I was getting amazing fuel mileage.... :D

Good laughs were had all 'round...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 am
My funny ha ha event happened just a couple weeks ago.
for medical reasons, the GL1800 has been sleeping in the shop since august of last year.

In the mean while, I had purchased a Piaggio MP3 250cc scooter that uses only the hand grips for brakes. right grip, front brake just like normal. Left grip, rear brake.

Took a while to get used to that, but after a year of riding the scooter to rallys ( inside the Toy Hauler ) the little scooter had become a natural thing for me to ride.

well, my shoulder finally quit complaining to me, so I decide to take the 1800 out for a day's trip to do a Meet 'n Greet with other friends about 3 hours away.

My driveway is 350 feet long from shop to street. Climb on the 1800 and off we go.

Come up to the intersection of paved driveway and street and need to come to a stop.
I pull that left hand drip down to the handlebar whilst I travel across the road nearly onto the gravel berm before I can get my foot down on the foot brake :o

I was already leaning to the left, the front brake would have pitched me onto the ground real quick.

I laughed at myself really loud, and was glad no traffic was around to witness my "incident".
I've done that - riding my wife's Burgman, I went to squeeze the (nonexistent) clutch before downshifting on the (nonexistent) shifter, and of course ended up grabbing a handful of brake instead. Fortunately it has ABS, so all I ended up doing was slowing down REALLY fast. Still got my attention, though!

wildanimal84
Motorcycle: 1993 Cobalt Blue Goldwing Aspencade
2002 Cobalt Blue Suzuki Intruder 1500 cc

Post by wildanimal84 »

At the end of this summer, @ mid-September, I traded my 93 wing Aspencade to a beautiful 06 Goldwing Trike. The following weekend, my friends and I decided to take a nice long day ride, so we met at the Dairy Queen that morning for breakfast. As I was backing into the parking, the trike died and wouldn't start. After a couple of attempts at trying without luck, I was about to go into panic mode. Fortuntantly a bystander told me to flip kill switch to the on position. A small sigh of relief but huge embarrassment to a " experienced wing rider "

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Post by echinus1988 »

My son and I took a small detour down a back road instead of heading home via the highway. It was only about 5 miles long but it was scenic and went by Red Rocks Amphitheater. Just a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the highway.

I had just changed from a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade to my "new" 2006 GL1800.

We drove down a bit and noticed traffic was all backed up. We hadn't realized that a show was going on at Red Rocks and we had just hit all the stop and go traffic. We decided to turn around and head back to the highway.

Well, I wasn't very confident on U Turns with this bike yet and it showed. I started the U Turn doing everything wrong. Looking at the ditch to avoid it, wrong throttle and brake control and so I dumped the bike in front of this long line of traffic. To make matters worse, I didn't get my foot out from under and it landed on my ankle. I couldn't get out from under it. So I told my son I was trapped and in his "panic" he stopped and spilled his bike into the ditch. To say the least we made quite a Laurel and Hardy spectacle.

A passerby stopped and helped me get the bike off my ankle but before I could get on and leave, here comes a patrol car to assist the motorcyclist that had crashed. I know they were well meaning but I only dropped the bike, didn't crash per se. So, then the fire truck and ambulance showed up and was followed by the Colorado State Patrol to take a report on the accident! All intent on helping the injured biker. Yes my ankle hurt but the only thing really injured was my pride at dropping the bike. I work in Law Enforcement so we all had a good laugh and I finally was let loose to go home, elevate and ice pack my ankle (The medics really thought I should go to the hospital). To top it off, I had just gotten a week off that I was going to travel but couldn't due to my ankle hurting and swelling.

At least I can laugh about it now.

Ride Safe! And practice your U Turns!

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

wildanimal84 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:21 am
At the end of this summer, @ mid-September, I traded my 93 wing Aspencade to a beautiful 06 Goldwing Trike. The following weekend, my friends and I decided to take a nice long day ride, so we met at the Dairy Queen that morning for breakfast. As I was backing into the parking, the trike died and wouldn't start. After a couple of attempts at trying without luck, I was about to go into panic mode. Fortuntantly a bystander told me to flip kill switch to the on position. A small sigh of relief but huge embarrassment to a " experienced wing rider "
On our recent trip down to the Texas Hill Country my wife turned off the kill switch, not intentionally, when she woke up early and went out to wipe down the bike from the overnight rain. There wasn't anyone else there that would have caught me frantically trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, but I also noticed it before trying to start it up. However, I was thinking about how much I might have begun to loose my mind if I hadn't noticed it and we were hundreds of mile from home.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

aperry
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
1999 GL1500 SE

Post by aperry »

I was too embarrassed to tell, but some of you have experienced much worse. After having lunch on the square in Wimberley TX (a tourist town) I was trying to pull out of the parking lot with a lot of traffic and pedestrians to watch out for. As I started to pull out, I looked down and saw a big curb, and that I was going to be too close to it. Of course I stopped and did all the wrong things until the bike decided to go over. I am glad I have a full face helmet, so all the people watching couldn't see how red my face was. As I was looking at what I needed to do to get the bike back up quickly and get out of there, a lady came up and asked me if I was ok and could she call someone to help me. I guess she didn't think I could get the Goldwing back up. Anyway I got around and pushed the bike back up, but in my hurry to get it up, I had forgotten to put the kickstand down on the other side. I stood there balancing the bike thinking about what to do. I didn't want to lay the bike back down, since the curb was there and I didn't know what was making contact. The helpful lady was still standing there, so I asked her if she could put the kickstand down for me. I could tell she was a little nervous about about getting that close to the bottom of a big bike with the person balancing it being the same one who had just dropped it, but she gingerly and with coaxing got it all the way down. I was glad for the help and if I ever drop the bike again I might remember to put the kickstand down before pushing it up.

Ed Brock
Motorcycle: 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GD
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

I biught one and can't ride it. I am hopping to start riding in 2020.
Ed

Spence
Motorcycle: 2010 1800
2002 r1150rs

Post by Spence »

Several years ago I was out riding with a buddy who was on his 2005 Goldwing, I was on my BMW R1150RS and we decided to swap bikes. So I go over all the controls on the Beemer with him and he does the same with his GW. He then climbs on my bike starts up and rides off, all good so far, I then climb on the GW and settle into the nice plush seat and take in all the buttons and gadgets even try to upright it off the side stand to get a feel of the weight, about double the R bike. OK I'm ready to fire it up and ride off but realize I can't find the start button. The only thing that should be the start button says REV on it. I certainly don't want to go backwards so that ones out. So there I sit along side the road in first gear with the side stand down hitting every button on this this including the REV one and nothing is happening. I figured eventually he'd come back and after about 20 minutes he does. With a good laugh he straightens me out and I roll off on "the couch on two wheels". Now I own a 2010 Goldwing that is parked right next to the Beemer, life is good. Never forget the basics!

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK »

I have done the embarrassing kill switch thing at a Light Parade. I never wave back at children unless stationary, parade came to a halt, so there I sat waving at a group of children, when the engine cut out. A couple of spectators started pushing me, frantically scanning, voltmeter read 12v, all the parade lights were on, and the music was loud, no dimming when I pushed the starter UH.... Then I noticed the kill switch, I must have caught it as I put my hand back on the grip.

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK »

Ooops.................

jandranj
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Post by jandranj »

It was a cool morning and my wife and I stopped at a restaurant for lunch. After lunch we dressed up for the cool ride home on our 1982 1100 goldwing. It started first time like it always had an I put it in gear. I turned the wheel to sharp and it stalled and over we went. No problem except my leg got stuck under the saddle bag and I was not able to move. Help was on the way as a car load of foot ball hunks came to rescue my wife. 5 handsome man to help her up leaving me to watch helplessly under the cycle. The manager of the restaurant came to help me even though he was not more than 5 foot tall and about 110 pounds. I did appreciate the help from all. No harm done. Only my pride was hurt so as the kind foot ball players help my wife on the bike, I was ready to leave. She still laughs about it today.

Ed Brock
Motorcycle: 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GD
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Dam jocks. Nice of them, but what are you? Oh, your chopped liver.

jandranj
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Post by jandranj »

I think you are right about the chopped liver Ed. I am 80 and I guess I look like it but my lovely wife looks like my granddaughter at 71. That could be the reason they want to help her. I was thankful. By the way, that was only the second time I laid one over in the 61 years I have been riding. I am riding a trike nowadays because of verdago. Pop