Heated jacket liner question?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Heated jacket liner question?

Post by wezx »

I just bought a Gerbing heated jacket online to go with the heated gloves I already own. The price was too good to pass up...$99 for their $249 jacket. The caveat was that the only size they had was a larger size than what I would need as a liner where they recommend the liner being tight close to your skin. I figured for that price I’ll try it out. Got it today, if I was buying a jacket it would be the perfect size (I like my jackets a little big)...as a liner it is definitely big. I’ve ridden around today to try it out. It’s not especially cold today...close to 50 degrees, so hard to tell how it would perform in colder temps. I could feel the heat and it was warm though obviously not as warm as if it was close to the skin as they reccomend. This thing looks and feels like a regular jacket instead of just a liner...is anyone else wearing a liner as if it were a jacket or have any thoughts on this?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: Heated jacket liner question?

Post by Happytrails »

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a gerbings jacket liner when they were doing closeout sales. It was slightly big when I bought it but I've lost 57 lbs this year so I'm just swimming in the jacket now. What I'm hoping is to really synch down on my jackets to help the gerbings work better. Its not ideal but its the only thing i can think of. 👻

They are calling for snow already and those plow drivers are just achin to start dumpin salt on the roads. Once they do that i park the bikes. 🎄
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Mine is quite snug on me, but I wish it was about 2 inches longer, as to get a snug fit on me, meant the size was quite a bit smaller than I usually wear.

I have worn mine as a jacket before out of necessity...but it's pretty ugly as a jacket. :)

I've worn and used it down below freezing, and was still warm. They can put out a lot of heat!

wezx

Post by wezx »

Thanks for responding! The main problem is I really hate super close fitting clothes so having the liner super tight just seems “wrong” to me. And of course you can’t gonto a brick and mortar and try these on for correct sizing.

Gerbing is selling their LT jacket (not a liner), which I think is their older model jacket for $125 down from $249. I’m wondering if maybe I might like that better? The liner at $99 was such a great deal I don’t think I’ll return it, though maybe I could sell it or just use it as a jacket like I did today...it was definitely working but there was a huge jump in heat when I would press the jacket right to my skin and on my back since leaning up against my backrest also brought the liner close to my skin.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

How were the gloves? I haven't tried mine yet, i need an adapter to plug it in.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

I've had my liner for years and it has worked great. Over that time my weight had gone up and down and back up but the liner has worked no matter how tight or lose it fit. The key is you need to have another jacket over the liner for it to work properly, that holds true with all the heated clothing (except the gloves). I haven't ridden in as low a temp as WingAdmin but I have ridden in the high teens into work and been very comfortable. If you don't have a controller you do need one to make the temp comfortable. I've tried the on/off switch they have and that was a royal pain.

As far as the gloves, I love mine and use them even when I don't need heated equipment.

One thing I do is I have the on/off switch plugged into the hot lead from the batter and then the controller plugged into the other side of the switch. This way I can turn off the power before unplugging from the bike and yet I leave the controller settings so when I get back on the bike I just have to turn the power back on and my comfort level should be back where I left it before stopping.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

wezx

Post by wezx »

My wife bought me the gloves last year...they are the “Volt” brand and I love them...really makes a big difference to how cold you feel having your hands warm.

That makes sense about having a coat over the liner...I’ll try that, but it’s so big it may be really bulky having a jacket/coat over it? On/off switch before the temp sensor like you did is a must. Though I will probably tie into the switched circuit in my auxiliary fuse block that my USB phone charger is on so the heated gear will only come on when the ignition is on.

GL470
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by GL470 »

To OP, you might have bought a Jacket instead of a liner. Here in Canada, I wear my Gerbing heated liner 4 months out of the 7 months of riding season. I use in Warm and Safe remote controller to vary the heat I need. I dial it warmer when we are on the hiway, and less when we are in town. My Gerbing is a medium regular, it is a generous medium, It doesn’t feel tight on me, I only wear a performance long sleeve t-shirt under it.
I never had the need of turn the the heat up to 100%, may be 75% at best, mostly 30 to 50%. So even if your jacket/liner is larger, you still have a lot of extra heat you can draw on. On the top of my liner, I wear a motorcycle jacket with a warmth layer zipped in. Without the zipped layer, the wind just strips away any heat produce by the Gerbing. You do need a top layer to hold the heat in and for crash protection. If you did buy to Jacket instead of a liner, that’s a different story, the jacket supposed to be rain and wind proof. However, I can’t believe you can get a new Gerbing Heated Jacket for $99.
Kenny

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing trike with RoadSmith hts1800 kit
2007 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Sold = 1998 Goldwing Se

Post by ka4yqi »

I have 2 gerbings and 1 first gear jackets liner as they call them. All fit snug but not real tight. I have worn them down below the freezing mark, but always under a fleece lined jacket that cuts the wind. They worked very well under the jacket. Yes, wearing them out in the open will work but not well, seems the wind takes a lots of the heat. I have the older garbing dual controls that does two heat items, work off of the pulse width modulation method. I do use the gloves on the bikes. Using the liner under the jacket, I don't have to run them very high. I do like and use them and would not be without them. My wife and I and put them one and ride down in the colder ranges and we are warm and happy. Riding the 1800 trike is different than the 1500 se. The 1500 seem to manages the wind much better than the 1800. That is one of the reasons that I miss my 1500.

Steve

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

wezx wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 pm
My wife bought me the gloves last year...they are the “Volt” brand and I love them...really makes a big difference to how cold you feel having your hands warm.

That makes sense about having a coat over the liner...I’ll try that, but it’s so big it may be really bulky having a jacket/coat over it? On/off switch before the temp sensor like you did is a must. Though I will probably tie into the switched circuit in my auxiliary fuse block that my USB phone charger is on so the heated gear will only come on when the ignition is on.
Yes, it will be bulky, but you will be warm on the motorcycle at 50 MPH. It works for many of us, don't over-think this issue.

As far as a dedicated on-off switch, most 'temp sensors' (actually,the controller...) has a switch in the control - like an old-school radio or TV (on-off/volume) used to.

The pigtail that feeds any power to a heated item should be fused and tied directly to the battery! The standard aux fuse block on the motorcycle will NOT provide adequate current for heated gear.

https://www.gerbing.com/connectors

That should come with the heated gear purchase. Read the directions for details.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I have a Gerbings heated liner. I will normally wear just a T-shirt underneath it, or sometimes a thin, long-sleeved shirt. The liner is very snug against me.

Over that, I have only my much-beloved Olympia Ranger jacket which blocks all wind. This combination is good down to 40 degrees. Below that, I will zip the thermal liner into the Olympia Jacket for a bit more insulation, and that has kept me toasty warm (too warm, actually - I have to turn it down) below freezing.

I consider it absolutely necessary to have an adjustable (PWM) heat controller for heated gear. Rarely do I ever have my gear turned up full, and you will get too hot if you do. It's a pain manually switching things on and off manually every minute or two as you get hot/cold. The adjustable control fixes this for you.

I designed and built my own, but all the heated gear vendors also sell them.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerbing-Portable ... r_1_1_sspa

wezx

Post by wezx »

Thanks for the posts everyone! I’ve been out with a jacket over the liner and it definitely works...not as well as if the liner were tighter fitting, but then again I only spent $99 on the liner! LOL

I’m not using the extra AUX circuit on the bike...I have an auxiliary fuse block that was added to the bike which can handle the current draw...previous owner was running 2 sets of jackets and gloves off of it. They also added an upgraded alternator.

jajo01
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE
2010 GL1800

Post by jajo01 »

Could you give a contact where to buy it?