Goodbye to Motorcycle Consumer News

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Goodbye to Motorcycle Consumer News

Post by WingAdmin »

My favorite motorcycle magazine is no more.

I've been a subscriber to Motorcycle Consumer News for many, many years. I've talked about it, written about it, publicized it, I've given away countless subscriptions to it as prizes in our monthly contest.

Today I got this letter in the mail. It echoes the text from their website at http://mcnews.com
To our Subscribers, Contributors, and Suppliers:

Please be advised that the Publisher of Motorcycle Consumer News and Auto Restorer magazines, Lumina Media, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (the “Company”), doing business at 640 Avis Drive, Suite 200, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, will be dissolved by written resolution of the sole manager and all members of the Company, effective as of February 1, 2020 (the “Dissolution Date”). Effective as of the Dissolution Date, the Company will cease its business operations and shall continue for the sole purpose of winding up its business affairs. The last publication of Motorcycle Consumer News was distributed (shipped) on January 17, 2020, and the last publication of Auto Restorer was distributed (shipped) on January 17, 2020. Subscription payments for future issues paid by credit card or check after the Dissolution Date will not be processed. If you paid for future subscriptions by check and the check has not been drawn against your bank account as of this notice, the check has been or will be destroyed by the Company. If you otherwise paid for future publications in advance, you may submit a claim for the value of the issues you will not receive in accordance with the below instructions.

Please be further advised that the Company has insufficient assets to satisfy all of its liabilities. Upon the conclusion of the wind-up process, creditors will receive a pro rata distribution of available assets, if any, to satisfy claims submitted in accordance with the following:
  • If you believe that the Company owes you money, you must submit a final invoice or claim for any liability through the Dissolution Date in writing and include the claim amount, basis for the claim, origination date, proof of payment if a subscription claim (e.g. copy of front and back of cancelled check; as well as other data mentioned here), and documentation evidencing the basis of the claim.
  • The deadline for submitting claims is March 9, 2020.
  • Any claims that are not received by the Company on or prior to March 9, 2020 may not receive a distribution from the assets of the Company, to the extent such distribution is made.
  • All claim submissions must be sent to: Lumina Media, 640 Avis Drive, Suite 200, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, Attn: Lumina Claims Desk.
Dated: February 1, 2020

Lumina Media, LLC
The February edition was the last edition that will ever be published.

So sad. I have 80 back issues (dating back to August, 2013) in digital format, but there will never be another!

ojairoy
Motorcycle: 1998 1500

Re: Goodbye to Motorcycle Consumer News

Post by ojairoy »

MCN magazine and Rider magazine are my two favorites. They don't do a million miles an hour and pop wheelies. It was fun meeting the staffers a long time ago when they had their 2 staff/reader rides exploring Southern California and Arizona. I hope they find jobs soon.

pounder1973
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Post by pounder1973 »

As a 10 year subscriber to MCN I learned many ways to ride smarter and safer, quality gear and much more. As my 2-wheel time has diminished over the last 20 years I could no longer justify a subscription, (I apologize) but I still have every issue I received as the knowledge in each issue is still relevant today. One of my favorites articles they did was on the effects of alcohol and motorcycle control, a group of riders of various degrees of proficiency on a closed track replicating different riding chalanges. Everyone got a practice lap then ran a timed lap. Each rider then had 1.5 oz of liquor, 6 oz of wine or 12 oz of beer, then ran a timed lap. Then another drink and a timed lap. Most riders stopped after 2 drinks. The majority of riders actually had a little bit better time after the first drink. But everyone's time dropped after two, and only of few even tried the third.
Another article I enjoyed was by the editor at the time. He once responded to an add looking for motorcycle riders for a new reality show. During the interview he was asked what model of Harley he rode? He replied that he had 11 motorcycles, none of which was a Harley, but he could borrow one from a friend if necessary. When they told him the basis of the show was to film a group riders going from bar to bar he told him that he did not drink when on two wheels. They told him that's not the type of motorcycle rider they were looking for! So much for reality shows. A great publication that will be missed my many.
Can't sign off without giving kudos to goldwingdocs for helping me keep my '81 Interstate on the road, Thanks Much!

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Post by echinus1988 »

I found Road Rider back in the 70s when I was in the USAF in Big Spring, Texas. A little newsstand that carried so many magazines it was amazing. I got Rider, Road Rider, Airpower and Wings from there.

I had a break from riding because of having a family and my wife didn't ride, wouldn't ride. So I got out for about 20 years. When I got back in, I immediately got Rider and looked for Road Rider. I was amazed when I found out that MCN was Road Rider. By then I had already subscribed to it and carried the subscription until now. I don't keep my magazines, I donate them so others can read and maybe get into the sport.

I am so sad to see MCN go! I wish the best to the writers that kept it going so long. It was a great magazine!

Goodbye Road Rider, um, I mean MCN.

RIde Safe!

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Sorry to see them go. But, no offense to MCN or it's faithful, they lost me after Road Rider. I enjoyed their content and humor. It's just me, I know.
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

thecruiser
Motorcycle: 2008 HONDA GW

Post by thecruiser »

I found MCN back when they were in black n white. Thought they were a great mc mag until they went to COLOR. It was all down hill from there and I let my subscription lapse. I'm not Riding as much as I used to so my Rider subscription will probably be next.