New to Goldwings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
mtbishop1995
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 interstate

New to Goldwings

Post by mtbishop1995 »

Good morning,
My name is Mark. I am new to this , . I am at a point of making a choice. I have ridden bikes for a long time, sold my last one, a Harley, 2 years ago. I want another bike. I am 60 years old, a master certified auto mechanic who sold my shop 5 years ago and now manages an auto parts store. I am looking at 2 1983 Goldwing Interstates. They have not run in 2 years. They look decent, have been kept inside. I can buy both for 1000. What are experienced Goldwing owners thoughts, Should I do it or just buy another cruiser? I know it is my call, just wanting some input.
Thanks, Mark

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: New to Goldwings

Post by Viking »

Realizing that these two Goldwings are likely going to need some work, as they are 37 years old, they are still a pretty fine motorcycle. I rode Harleys for 47 years, till tendonitis cut me down to under a thousand miles a year. Then a friend talked me into a Goldwing. WOW is all I can say from then to now. I am now into my 10th year of riding a Goldwing and I have 92K on it. The first year, I managed to clock up over 20K, and it was the best year of my life. I rode a Harley more in one year, but it was not as pleasurable. Goldwings are pretty amazing machines, that do not need a wrench being turned on them all the time. My GL1800, in the ten years I have owned it, has not broken down even one time. I never had a Harley that did that. I do not give advice, so the choice is your own.

Welcome to GoldwingDocs.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

If you're interested in wrenching, go for those bikes. But if you're interested in riding, I'd suggest something much, much newer. Plastic and rubber get old, and after enough time has passed can be difficult to replace. Perhaps it's my own bias after having restored a couple of 1950's tractors and several vintage cars, but I don't care to mess with those problems any more - I want fuel injection and something this side of the year 2000. That's my $.02.
'03 GL1800A

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Good Hondog »

I'd get them both if you have the indoor space to park them. You're not a novice mechanic so working on them won't be a big deal. The 1983 is the best of the second generation Goldwings and also have the best gear ratios for highway riding if you're planning on lots of traveling. Some new parts are obsolete from the dealer now but available elsewhere if you need them. Depending on the repair there are a few specialized tools you won't have that are needed to work on those bikes but I'm sure all models and years of Goldwings need specialized tools. They are all available and not that expensive. I have many of them now in my toolbox since I got my 1980 a few years ago. I guess it all comes down to whether you really like those kinds of bikes after coming off a Harley Davidson recently. There's some really good deals on low mileage Harley Davidsons around right now if you wanted to get another.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Good advice all round. Depends on what you want to do? If it's ride and tour, newer 1500/1800 cannot go wrong, but the 1500 may need some work - the 1500 are 20 years plus. I prefer fuel injection as well, opted up for a 1500 for a variety of reasons such as cockpit size - better fit as I am 6' 2", insurance, and a reliable touring machine. Minor maintenance to date after owning for 2 years. 176,000 Kms and still going strong - trip of 7400 Kms last year and only used 1/2 quart of oil. Have an '85 LTD fuel injected GW as well, 165,000 Kms on the clock and still going strong. You can expect trouble free motoring from an 1800 as well. Must caveat this with the fact an older bike regardless of age can have issues. The '83 1100s once the maintenance is done and you have the bike(s) in the shape you want will give good service as well. There was a young fellow took an early model 1000 on the iron butt ride, some 11,000 miles without incident. Here's a thread with pics of his bike: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63422

Good luck with your decision.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

mtbishop1995

Post by mtbishop1995 »

Well, I bought them both. Excited about starting work on them. Thanks for the responses. I will post a couple of pics when I get a chance and keep posts going. I am sure that I will be asking questions. Thanks again, looking forward to riding a Goldwing.
Mark

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Congrats Mark on your purchase of a wing.
The 83 is a good bike to get started on learning the wings and is a fun ride.
I bought an 83 Aspencade back in 2009 that had sat for 13 years neglected. It was my first wing also. 3 1/2 months later I had it on the road again. I put 26,000 miles on it in the next 18 months.
If you didn't get the service manual, get one. There are sequences you need to follow. You can download a manual at the top of the main page here as well as there are great How To Articles up there too.
How long have yours been setting unused?
Attachments

mtbishop1995

Post by mtbishop1995 »

Mine has been setting almost 2 years. Today is the first time that I have had time to touch it. I am going to change the oil, plugs, drain fuel. The belts were change right before it was parked. I have a new battery and am going to give it a shot. I know the carbs will have to have work, but I want to see how they do. Some people talk about putting Seafoam in the tank. Not sure about this. I am not a big Seafoam fan. I read last nite where someone emptied 2 cans of carb cleaner into the tanks and ran it on that. Just have to play it by ear, or wing it.
Mark

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

mtbishop1995 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:29 am
Mine has been setting almost 2 years. Today is the first time that I have had time to touch it. I am going to change the oil, plugs, drain fuel. The belts were change right before it was parked. I have a new battery and am going to give it a shot. I know the carbs will have to have work, but I want to see how they do. Some people talk about putting Seafoam in the tank. Not sure about this. I am not a big Seafoam fan. I read last nite where someone emptied 2 cans of carb cleaner into the tanks and ran it on that. Just have to play it by ear, or wing it.
Mark
Change the fuel filter before you try to fire them(after the tank is drained and inspected)
I would suggest you remove the seat, carefully undue the float retainer ring and float so you can visually inspect the tank. You may need to clean out sediment or rust(electrolysis cleaning in place).
If you need carb kits, don't try to cheap out. I highly suggest you get the Randakks Master Carb it. It has Vinton rubber, and comes with the big center oring for the intake housing that has to come apart to properly clean the carbs.
If you don't yet have JIS screwdrivers, get a set, so you don't bugger up the screws(they are not Phillips screws as American bikes use, different pitch points). Vessel makes a great set that has an impact head on them for stubborn screws. See the write up in the new product reviews section.
A hand impact driver is good tool to have on hand to help loosen the screws too.

Have you looked through the How To Articles at the top of the page?

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Congrats Mark. I know you'll do it but I'll mention it anyway- don't forget to change the brake fluids and coolant! A good flush of both will help too. Looking forward to watching your progress and what you find.