Shelter-In-Place? 3 weeks to work on the Beast, ,

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Shelter-In-Place? 3 weeks to work on the Beast, ,

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Silicon Valley (Bay Area) and 6 counties with about 7 million people are in a "Shelter-in-place" condition.

After doing my best to make sure family, friends and neighbors are doing OK it was time to "polish the Beast". She looks good now, but what do I do for the remaining 20 days????? I've ordered oil, filters, and other stuff to make use of this "down" time so she'll be ready when its over.

EXPECT, AND PREPARE for this same situation in other regions across the nation in the very near future. Get the stuff you'll need to spruce up your rides and keep your hands busy fixing/fine tuning your ride.

Good luck to all, be safe and God bless

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: Shelter-In-Place? 3 weeks to work on the Beast, ,

Post by detdrbuzzard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 pm

we got laid off today, I plan on checking on my mom tomorrow as well as grocery shopping early. I would like to finish up the golden turd but i'm not sure which wire harness to get. going to call trailbuddy.com for advice and if I have to i'll load the bike up and drive out there
Attachments

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:13 pm

We are asked to do self imposed isolation. Still able to get out but not a lot of venues to go to. Have three bikes to keep me busy. Latest work has me into repairing and refinishing a panel on the 1500. Needed to be a three part system because of the paint type Pearl Glacier White. Places I need to visit such for parts and such are still open. Figure there will be a lot of sore and aching bones out there soon as we all pick away at our to do lists and from coming out of the winter. Should be a run on A535 soon. :lol:
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Just something to think about...be extra careful when out riding. With the Covid-19 virus filling hospitals to far beyond capacity, they are already turning away people who desperately need care, and making horribly difficult decisions on who to save and who to let die. I personally have a relative with a very serious medical condition for which he should be in the ICU, and they bundled him up as best they could and sent him home. He will not likely survive long as a result.

So keep in mind: if you crash and injure yourself on your bike, there is a very real possibility that there will be no hospital beds or care available to help you. So be careful and keep your head on a swivel!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm

I've gotten into some of my undone hobbies so far. The community has been very good to the seniors in the apartment complex the Salvation Army sent over care packages, the school has sent over food and some of us get commodities from the county. They sent the tenants notices and mentioned to us only go out if you need to, limit visitors, and wash hands often. I need to purchase a unit to 'Clone' the Windows 7 hard drive and the Windows10 and a whole list of undone things.
Be careful, be safe and wash your hands. :)
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 am

Detdrbuzzard, sorry to hear about the layoff. The wife & I went through that 5 years ago. We worked for the same company and got laid off the same day. I hope you get through this okay.

No shelter in place for us. Life as usual, except can't find anything at the store. We both work in hospital laboratories and therefore are consider essential. Can't do that from home.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

thecruiser
Motorcycle: 2008 HONDA GW

Post by thecruiser » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 pm
Just something to think about...be extra careful when out riding. With the Covid-19 virus filling hospitals to far beyond capacity, they are already turning away people who desperately need care, and making horribly difficult decisions on who to save and who to let die. I personally have a relative with a very serious medical condition for which he should be in the ICU, and they bundled him up as best they could and sent him home. He will not likely survive long as a result.

So keep in mind: if you crash and injure yourself on your bike, there is a very real possibility that there will be no hospital beds or care available to help you. So be careful and keep your head on a swivel!
With being in self-exile here at home for the last two weeks come Monday, I was looking forward to some sunny weather and warmer temps (it's 31* here right now) to take a mc Ride around a 'country block' if only to get some fresh air. I hadn't thought of crackin' up and ending up in the hosp. Would certainly not be a good thing right now.
I did make a 3-mile trip in the cage to puck up a scrip yesterday (first time out) and noticed how much less traffic there was. I have to say though the traffic that was out there was traveling at a faster rate and I also saw THREE cages that run stop signs.

If anyone DOES take a Ride break from being cooped up for so long be EXTRA CAREFUL. The cage drivers are NUTZ!

Sorry to hear about your relative. Not a good time to be ill with our medical system compromised as it is.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am

I have to say that everyone I talk to or hear on the news is underestimating the length of time this may go on. China, who have the capability of truly enforcing social distancing (sheltering in place) is going on three months with this virus and cannot say they have it under control yet. If that runs as the norm, it is going to be June before we even hit the three month mark, and the U.S. and Canada do not really have the capability to enforce their stay at home policies. California and New York and I think one other state have come down harder on the policy, but they still will only fine people for disobeying. I am watching out my windows and after a month, we still have groups of ten or more, walking together, jostling each other, standing face to face talking, running to the store three or four times a day among other things of the same ilk. I think we are in for a lot harder time than we have seen at all yet. I am not trying to be a doomsday forecaster here, but I think all citizens of our two great nations need to take this a lot more seriously, and I think that communicating digitally with friends and family could help to get this message out.

Nuff outta me.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Trying to go out as little as possible here as well. I’ve changed the trailing arm bearings on the sidecar and replaced all the fence panels on one side of the garden and now I’m getting bored, and that is only after a week. Those who say they know reckon it could be months before things get better, and that’s if the virus doesn’t flair up again in the autumn.
I’ve been meaning to connect the heater in the sidecar to the ‘wings cooling system for ages so maybe I can pass some time doing that. I’ll risk a ride now and then, it’s that or go stir crazy.
The prevention advice is to wash your hands,often, and don’t touch your face with your hands. First bit’s not a problem but have your tried not touching your face? You do it without thinking.
Stay safe, better a tedious few months than no few months.

Sid

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:13 am

We have our first arrest of a woman who tested positive for the Covid 19 virus in the Province of Quebec, who then refused to stay home, and travelled all over her town visiting and shopping. She was caught, and will be charged with public endangerment. I guess some of our police and politicians have teeth. KittyCat footing around just ain't getting there.

I also will ride this year, but will do it alone, and will not stop for lunch at restaurants or coffee shops as in the past. I think a lot of motorcycle rallies will be called off due to the edict against gatherings. Canada so far has stated gatherings of 50 or more will not be permitted, but the U.S. has smartly decided that 10 or more is too many. I firmly believe that any gathering of two or more who are not in the same household should stop. But that's just me, and I am a grumpy old b**st**d. If I cannot go out and have fun than nobody should be able to..... :evil: :evil: :twisted:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

jcn59
Motorcycle: 1986 1200A Aspencade

Post by jcn59 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 pm

It's very quiet in my little northern Wisconsin county of about 19,000. Most everything (as usual) is closed and only 4 virus deaths in the entire state which is too many if it's one of yours. We are getting good compliance with health department recommendations. I read an email yesterday that said the disease hotspots are mostly in areas and cities that are controlled by democrats and that is consistent with what the maps are showing. I suppose that is one way of looking at it but those same areas and cities also have international airports. duh?

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:41 pm

This "three weeks" was a fib.

'Cause when the three weeks is close to expiring, those with the data will point to it and go "nope, still climbing - needs another three more weeks."

Come back at the end of the month and see if my premonition was accurate.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm

The 21 days may NOT be enough to curb the infection of this pandemic. It COULD take another 3-6 weeks to flatten the curve, ,look at how it took close to 12 weeks before China was able to report NO NEW CASES OF INFECTION. (thats assuming you believe a single word from China).

The point is, , ,the infection rate was flattened, so if it takes 10 weeks, , then so be it. I'm prepared. Not happy about the prospect, , , but I'll be damned if I unknowingly endanger anyone else because those in charge underestimated the aggressiveness of an "UNKNOWN" deadly virus.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 am

the problem is the curve....
3 weeks for the 1st to either get sick or survive....

then thinking they are okay, as they did not succumb to the virus, they go out and about as a carrier passing it on..

I feel we are looking at 8 weeks minimum, probably 3 months before we can start going back to normal.

here in Oologah OK, the streets are sparse with travellers.
a few going to the grocery store.... and even there, you can order online and upon arrival, give them a call and a clerk will roll your basket out to your car, and place the food in the back of your car.... we need not get out and get close to the clerk.... they are monitoring their people closely....

so far, the nearest confirmed cases are in Tulsa, 30 miles away, 1 died, 1 is severe.

~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF