Delay in getting new scoot.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
rmoss
Motorcycle: 2014 White GL1800

Delay in getting new scoot.

Post by rmoss »

First of all I hope everyone is safe and protecting themselves from Covid 19. We need to practice our social distancing. That looks like the only way to stop this pandemic. Fortunately I live in a small town and it's pretty easy. My biggest concern is those dam snowbirds coming home from the USA and going grocery shopping before they quarrentee themselves. What a bunch of dumb asses.

So now my story
Well I finally made the decision to get a new 2020 DCT. I really like the white and it matches my trailer perfectly. I looked at them at the Toronto bike show in Feb. Talked to my dealer at the show and we made a deal based on him double checking my 2014 wing. Took my bike over March 9 and all was good. I left my bike behind since it's to cold to ride up here in Ontario Canada. New bike arrived at dealer last week. Made arrangements to pick up bike this Wednesday. I was just getting ready to call and make sure all was good when my phone rang.
It was my dealer calling, they where closing dealership for at least 2 weeks. So no new scoot for a few weeks at least. Unfortunately I can see this going on a lot longer than 2 weeks. Ontario government just ordered all non essential businesses closed until further notice. Fortunately I have a job as I work for a essential service.
I was looking forward to getting it in the garage and learning what all those dam buttons due before riding season gets started.

Stay safe and practice social distancing.

Bob

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Delay in getting new scoot.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I can sympathize with you Bob, in my case the social distancing is having more of a Mental Effect than a real one.

Retired for 10 years now, and my office is a Recliner and Laptop.
We have six acres of grass that needs tending, about 2 of those acres have large trees and yesterday it finally dried up enough we can walk on the ground w/o sinking into China.

Saw a lot of broken tree limbs down that need to be cut into small pieces and hauled to our burn pile... fortunately we are rural and can burn.

so, I have the opportunity to get my scoots out and run around on the six acres of grass.
the 1800 is not quite so nimble at that, the E4 tires like to make grooves that are hard on the grass.

the little 250cc 3 wheel Piaggio MP3 scooter does that with aplomb, no problems at all, and it quite a bit of fun.
helps me get the cob webs out of the brain.

I'm out in the country, so I could ride the little scooter or the 1800 around on our county roads and rarely pass another vehicle, much less stop and talk to a neighbor... although, we could do that 20 feet apart w/o problems.

I'm staying in touch with my friends by telephone and that helps. We agree that getting together for Ice Tea is not a good idea for a good long while.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Life is hard I know. Lol

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

I don't know about anyone else, but getting someone their new Goldwing seems pretty essential to me. :lol:

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

nwkwinger wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 am
I don't know about anyone else, but getting someone their new Goldwing seems pretty essential to me. :lol:
I would agree!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

rmoss wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm
First of all I hope everyone is safe and protecting themselves from Covid 19. We need to practice our social distancing. That looks like the only way to stop this pandemic. Fortunately I live in a small town and it's pretty easy. My biggest concern is those dam snowbirds coming home from the USA and going grocery shopping before they quarrentee themselves. What a bunch of dumb asses.
I'd love to be in smalltown Southampton right about now! Spend some time away from people and go watch some sunsets.

I have spent at least a week there every summer now for more years than I want to admit I've been around on this planet, as my parents have a cottage there just outside of town.

In fact, this is my son and I last summer after we finished untangling the bicycle repair tools at the foot of High Street down by the flagpole:

Untangled bike tools
Untangled bike tools

Here's hoping you get your new DCT soon!

rmoss

Post by rmoss »

I must agree I do feel a lot safer here in a small town. I am able to go for walks and everyone seems to maintain there social distancing. Sunsets are fantastic here and I enjoy them regularly.
I to have untangled that bike repair wrench set and I walk to the flag everyday weather permitting.

Something I noticed last night while having a campfire was the lack of planes flying. In 2 hours of sitting out I only saw 1 jet fly over.
Kind of reminds me of 911.

Anyway I know I am a lot better off sitting up here in my small town compared to someone in a large city living in apartment.

I guess my biggest concern is cottagers coming up from the city and snowbirds returning home.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

It is the people returning from outside the country who are our problem. They refuse to isolate. They have just shut down the Post Office here due to a returning traveler being found positive for the virus. They will spend the weekend (or as long as it takes) having Hazmatted cleaners clean the building. As this town is only 55K population, we have only one central Postal Facility for any sorting. That is it for any kind of mail till they "sort" their problem. The employee, I understand, went to Mardi Gras, and back to work as soon as they got back in spite of Quarantine requirements for all out of country citizens returning. I do not get enough mail to really give a %$#@ but there are a lot of angry people here.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

my daughter is a Rural Associate Mail carrier.
That means she is part time and works Saturday only unless a regular route carrier needs relief.

she has seen the little towns out around us, have their Post Office shut down because of stupidity with one of their route carriers coming into the office and presorting their routes ( like normal )..... but they have ignored the Social Distancing laws issued by our governors.... and gone off out of state, or down into Tulsa or OKC and contracted the virus. Tulsa has several people on ventilators because of not paying attention to this virus issue.

We live in Oologah, OK and just east of us 18 miles is Claremore.
The town council got onto this problem lickity split and issued Shut Down orders a week before the governor did, no one in Claremore is allowed to drive down to Tulsa and come back home.

Only essential businesses are allowed to keep working as usual, and they have to use extreme social distancing rules, and practice sanitary cleanliness...

Restaurants are Take Out window only, no indoor dining period.
Hardware stores, big box stores are open, but the traffic is way down
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

emwarrenfeltz
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda Goldwing, 2020 Goldwing Tour

Post by emwarrenfeltz »

I sympathize with rmoss not getting his new Wing. I lucked out and got mine the end of February. New 2020 Tour in white with all the chrome blacked out. Really nice contrast. Now the problem is after getting about 600 miles on it, the Pennsylvania governor has ordered Stay at Home Orders for our county and a good part of the state. I live within a couple of miles of the Maryland border and that governor has also 'closed' the state. I was hoping that motorcycle riding, by myself, would be exempt, but a call to the PA State Police today informed me that motorcycle riding is not included in the 'recreational activities' allowed. Bummer!

I do agree with some of the comments about 'an off the bike' incident being a real issue with emergency services unavailability and practice safe riding as best I can. So back to the Internet finding some additional farkle for the new toy and working in the garage. The to-do list for home is extensive so I know it will have an opportunity to get some items resolved.

Take care out there, stay well and healthy, and if you can/do ride, be safe!

rmoss

Post by rmoss »

Well I got an email from dealer yesterday and they are now closed until further notice.
I'm guessing another 3 weeks minimum.

I'm not whining just frustrated. And so far I'm safe. If this is the worse thing during this pandemic I'm getting off easy as I still have a job.

Be safe everyone and remember social distancing.

Bob