Kids & Cars

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
RockAuto
Motorcycle: N/A

Kids & Cars

Post by RockAuto »

Toilet paper may be in short supply, but there are now plenty of children wandering around aimlessly after their schools shut down and booted them out the door. Now is a great opportunity to get kids interested in cars. A little tinkering on cars can help teach them how to use their minds and hands to prevent and solve problems. Increased confidence and competence will make them better able to handle and enjoy life's challenges.

If they have replaced heater hoses on a car, then they probably will have the confidence to replace a leaky bathroom faucet in their own homes someday. Instead of feeling helpless and panicky when the toilet paper shelves are empty, they will stay calm, trusting in their ability to come up with their own solutions if necessary; rags, shop towels, thimbleberry leaves, dad's old hankies...

Car "tinkering" does not have to start big. A child's first car project could be as simple as learning how to properly wash a car. It is easy to forget that a younger child may not even yet know how to connect a garden hose to a spigot. He/she will beam with pride once he/she has that knowledge and sees how nice the family vehicle looks after the grime is washed away. The adults involved in all this mentoring will have memories of good times spent with the kids that drown out insignificant memories of empty toilet paper shelves.

Thank you,
RockAuto.com

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Kids & Cars

Post by WingAdmin »

I like this idea - kids are home, we're supposed to be teaching them because schools aren't running - why not teach them something useful?

I've done this with my daughter for years, anytime something went wrong with her car, she was there with me helping out, and learning.

Changing the oil!
Changing the oil!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

I also have a daughter that isn't afraid to turn a wrench.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Wouldn't be fair if I didn't include one of my son as well. :)

Changing oil!
Changing oil!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

Well you got me beat on that one. I have only seen of one of my three sons work on his car even though I had them help me when they were younger. Still my oldest daughter seems to have inherited my DYI attitude.
Attachments

Replacing door locks.
Replacing door locks.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

I do not have any daughters, and my son was not interested, no way, no how, to learn anything his old man could have taught him until he got into his 30s. Man did I get smart in a hurry (in his mind). Now he does most of his own easier work, but still farms out some things, as it is easier to pay it done than to DIY it when you make good bucks. I never did make good bucks, so I learned to DIY and I am still doing it thatta way. I just purchased a used car, all certified and ready to go, and had to do the brakes within six weeks (30 day warrantee doncha know) because the shop put too much grease on the caliper pins and ruined one front set of pads and one rear set of pads. They don't even make licensed mechanics like they used to.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam »

No they don't make mechanic's any more. Now they are technication's and unless there is a trouble code for the scan tool to read they are hooped. My son kind of inherited my DIY attitude as he approaches household and other issues. He has changed his own block heater and done some other vehicle maintenance as well as household things. Just wish I could have shown him more stuff before live moved in and got in the way

42kDraven
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F <Gabby> (Sold)
1982 GL1100 <Helena>

Post by 42kDraven »

My daughter had little to no interest in working on vehicles for the longest time. I was changing the oil in our Jeep Wrangler about a year ago (now the car she drives primarily) and asked her to come out and at least hang out with me so she could see how it's done, but had no interest. I believe her exact words were "eww" and walked back into the house! :lol: For some reason, once I brought home Helena (my GL1100), she has been absolutely enamored. Out in the garage with me every time I'm putting work in. Actually showing interest on how to remove the various bits to get to the mechanical parts and fluids. HANDING ME TOOLS. Soon I'll get her with a wrench in her hand! I'm considering picking up a '78 GL1000 that doesn't run for $200 that's fairly nearby so we can get it fixed up for her to ride. Maybe once she gets the feel for making something work with your own hands, bringing something to life, she will see the value in it.

Creekwalker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 2008 Kaw KLR 650, 2 1985 Yamaha V Max, 1982 Yamaha XJ1100, 1981 Yamaha SR500, 1980 Yamaha XS750 dirt tracker, 1978 GS1000 (1100) Suzuki, 1974 Yamaha MX250, 1972 Yamaha XS650, 1972 Triumph Bonneville, 1966 S90 Honda, 1966 S65 Honda, 1965 305 Honda Dream, 1963 305 Honda Dream and others.

Post by Creekwalker »

My three year old nephew making the final critical adjustments.
Attachments