Restoring my GL 1000

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
jleonguerrero
Motorcycle: 1975/76 GL 1000, 1973 RS 100 scrambler

Restoring my GL 1000

Post by jleonguerrero »

I just found this site and it truly is heaven sent. My daughter and her boyfriend just gave me a 1976 Goldwing in Sulfur yellow. ( The frame VIN and engine say manfactured in Japan 1975, but apparently released 1976, the only year in Sulfur Yellow). Everything on it is original, except the original owner did mount a '76 Vetter Windjammer III fairing on it. I'll be removing it to keep it in it's full naked glory. At any rate, I've joined this community for both the technical expertise, and the camaraderie of owners of such magnificent machines.

My intent is to refurbish her but with a duo sport aggressiveness. I want to make her a long adventure bike. Trips like from ABQ NM to the Isthmus of Panama, as much as off road possible. That's the goal.

This is my present state. The bike has been stored on the California coast for the past 10 years. No serious rust, just some minor rust spots to the chrome, and salty deposits on the aluminum parts.
I can turn the engine easily by hand with the back up kick starter stored in the false tank
The ignition system seems clean no major pitting on points, the plug condition seemed like it burned clean. Apparently the owner took great care of his machines, he also owned a 79 Goldwing. He apparently stored it by draining the oil, gas etc.
So, before I actually start the motor up, does anyone have any advice as to the proper procedures that must be preformed before I ignite this thing. I don't think she's been fired up for 10 yrs or more.
Once I start er up, I then can assess what needs to be done bring her to her original majesty. Oh, the speedometer reads 99, 856 original miles, and the last effective CA license tag expired 2000. So she's been sheltering in place for 20 years. I guess the owner put her to pasture once he got his new GL before he passed away.
Any good folks, I truly look forward to any advice you all might have.

Big Thanks
Attachments

Hauling GL 1000 from Mendocino CA, to Albuquerque NM

Hauling GL 1000 from Mendocino CA, to Albuquerque NM/ Gallup NM
Hauling GL 1000 from Mendocino CA, to Albuquerque NM/ Gallup NM

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Restoring my GL 1000

Post by Fiberthree »

Welcome to the forum! Be sure to browse the How-To Articles. You'll find a lot of useful information there as well as a few (?) of us that have owned different Wings through the years that are more than willing to share the knowledge.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your 76. Look at this for instructions on resurecting a gl1000. https://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a ... ng-lay-up/
I wouldn't even think of starting the bike without replacing the timing belts. Sitting that long will have causted the belts to take a hard set. This is an interference style engine so if a belt breaks you will have valves and pistons colliding. Bent valves the least of the damage. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
jleonguerrero

Post by jleonguerrero »

Fiberthree wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:07 pm Welcome to the forum! Be sure to browse the How-To Articles. You'll find a lot of useful information there as well as a few (?) of us that have owned different Wings through the years that are more than willing to share the knowledge.
Big Thanks, This is the first place I'll start. Ill be posting updates of restoration. It won't take much. Honestly I think all she needs is some shine and polish and put into use ASAP. From what I hear the only place for these vintage machines is on the road no matter her age or mileage. Again thanks
jleonguerrero

Post by jleonguerrero »

dingdong wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 am Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your 76. Look at this for instructions on resurecting a gl1000. https://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a ... ng-lay-up/
I wouldn't even think of starting the bike without replacing the timing belts. Sitting that long will have causted the belts to take a hard set. This is an interference style engine so if a belt breaks you will have valves and pistons colliding. Bent valves the least of the damage. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
Thanks so much. Be assured I'll be relying on this forum for guidance. I will be posting updates along the way and if all goes well, this time next year I'll be submitting stories on the road, thanks to you all.