Searching the forums

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

Searching the forums

Post by WingNoob »

Hey all,

Posting this here because it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

I'm struggling to figure out the searching syntax on this site. For example, if I search for 'seat cover' the search engine brings back 1000's of results for 'seat' and 'cover' as well as 'seat cover'. Normally I would put my search term in quotes like this; "seat cover" to force the search engine to look for both words in that order, but that doesn't seem to work here. Using the + and - signs as the instructions in the search window state doesn't get the desired results either.

Is there a way to use the search feature more effectively?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Searching the forums

Post by dingdong »

I have wondered about his also. All the other mc forums are the same way. Makes it almost impossible to find anything.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

In certain situations, using Google to do the search works.

So, example, try this in a Google window, exactly as I've typed it, but without the quotation marks:

"seat cover site:goldwingdocs.com"

Once you get past the ads, you should then find posts that correspond to your search.

Works the same for many other forums as well.

Hope that helps!
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

There are actually two search engines on the site.

If you go to this search page or click "Advanced Search" in the header, you're using the internal forum search. It's somewhat...substandard. Something I hope to remedy someday.

If you just type your search into the "search bar" at the top of the header, it actually performs the search using the Google search engine, which gives far better results.

Similarly, on the search page, you'll see two boxes:

Search Bars
Search Bars

The first one uses the Google search engine, the second one uses the internal forum search engine.

WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

Perfect, the default search box in the top right works a treat. I guess I always assumed that the advanced search would be the better one to use, so I never tried just using the generic search.

Thanks