What's the strangest thing you've hit?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
ron203
Motorcycle: 2014 Concours, 2008 GL 1800

Re: What's the strangest thing you've hit?

Post by ron203 »

My wife and I were riding in the N.Ga mountains last year and we went zipping around a curve on a backroad. A large snake (4' or so) was crossing from right to left. I tried to time it so I missed him, but just as I started on by, he accelerated across. At the last second, I saw it was a rather "motivated' rattlesnake. In the final collision, he slid right under my back tire. My wife said "What was THAT?" I said "a rattlesnake.. It could've been bad for us if we'd have stopped, it but wound up being just bad for him. I hated it, but I only had a second to choose "left/right/straight" because STOP was not in the formula. Not too far from there, a year earlier we almost hit a hen turkey who flew right across the windshield, low enough for me to see her belly feathers and a year before that, startled a small black bear who was blasting across the road. Lots of critters up there.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider »

My strangest thing - an onion.

We have a lot of onion farms around here and a couple of years ago I was coming up behind a truck carrying a load of onions to market when he hit a bump and an onion came off the top. It flew through the air and bounced off the top front of my helmet. Snapped my head back a bit, but didn't really hurt much or cause any real damage.

On the chicken theme - a while back I was riding with a group with about 15 bikes in front of me. Suddenly I saw the bikes at the front of the group swerving around. When I got up to that point I saw that there was a chicken that had apparently been trying to cross the road (and as previously noted, I have no idea why) when we all came up on it. The chicken started running back and forth to avoid the bikes, the bikes were dodging left and right to avoid the chicken, and in the end the chicken survived while we all rode away with an interesting story.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Thia actually happened back in the mid 90's, I owned an '86 FJ1200, great bike. I left work with a co worker and we were heading out for a couple of beers when this extremely large racoon ran out in front of me, I was going about 35mph. I nailed him with both the front and rear tires, quite the ride. My friend saw it happen came to a stop jumped off his bike, pulled out his pocket knife and put the racoon out of its pain. He was all excited because this thing was huge and he wanted the tail, so he slid the dead animal behind a bush and said he would be back tomorrow for the tail. Next day he was all excited, he grabbed the racoon, took the tail after he brought the dead body back to the restaurant we worked at and weighed it, just over 30lbs. End of story!!

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 71k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!

Ed Brock
Motorcycle: 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GD
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

BigBob,
Did it smell the next day? I also ran over one, much smaller then yours, and it lived to run across the road another day.
Ed

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Ed, as I remember it didn't really smell until it was in the dumpster for a couple of days, then the other raccoons wouldn't go into get food!😂

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 71k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Please specify the restaurant you brought the day-old-roadkill to, so I can avoid it. :lol: j/k
'03 GL1800A

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Big Bob,
Well that's a plus.
Ed

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Big Bob,
Well that's a plus.
Ed

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

this was not me,
but a friend, Eli Rodriguez just last 16th June 2020 hit a BBQ grill on an Interstate....

he saw a lot of brake lights, tried to slow down and move over into the right ( outside lane ) when a vehicle in that lane hit the BBQ grill and spun it into his path..... his 1800 got by with a broken mirror, and scratched up side panels, and one Baker Wind wing missing.

He was ATGATT, but still ended up with a broken Clavicle, and 3 days in the horsepital.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc