The Magic Is Gone!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Bruce1957!
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Re: The Magic Is Gone!

Post by Bruce1957! »

Most of us will get there I am 63, and eventually that time will come for myself as well.
But... on to the next adventure Dave, whatever that may be.
Take care and enjoy.

armsrn
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by armsrn »

Hey Dave
That is a tough decision that we all have to make one day
It looks like you had a great history with your riding
I myself am recovering from a high hamstring injury and the not riding is hurting me
Riding is part of who we are whether it is to town for a coffee or across the country
Good luck in your future endeavors what ever they my be
Enjoy

every day is a good day......some are just gooder than others

larrycole
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Post by larrycole »

I hear you, Dave. I bought my first Honda - a 50cc Supersport - in 1965. I bought a 1976 GL1000 from a friend in 1984, not realizing it would be the last bike I owned. Living outside of Denver, I took many trips through Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, even into my 60s. When I retired and moved to central Oregon, I trailered the Wing with me. Once here, long camping trips seemed to be more intimidating, even though Ol Yeller still runs like it was new. If I drop it, as I did on a gas station oil slick last month, I need help to get it upright. I'm about the slide into 3rd base at 75 years old soon, but haven't decided to give it up yet. I'm still looking for a sidecar that doesn't cost more than what I paid for the bike.
Attachments

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Post by dnehasert »

Check out sidecar.com website for United Sidecar Assoc. Check out want ads and search for dealers in your area. Also have you checked Craigslist for sidecars

larrycole

Post by larrycole »

Not to highjack this thread, but yes, I've looked for sidecars from various sources. Sidecars.com seldom has them and when they do, they're usually 1,800 miles from me. Literally nothing in my state (Oregon) on craigslist. EBay mostly has trikes and dubious offerings from the Ukraine, and again, shipping is very expensive. I like my old Wing, but most sellers don't want to separate the hack from the bike. I'll keep looking.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Post by WA9FWT »

I was not going to write a note about giving up motor cycling .I just walk out to the garage and
open the door and look at my cycle and say old Gal, your for sale!! I put on a whole six miles so far this season. I turned 81 last month,and I sure feel it.I made a lot of friends on this site and will miss them.I do read a lot of posts still,and enjoy that part. But my health is comming to a end and even have troubles running this computer. 11 years ago I turned my 1982 goldwing aspencade into a trike to keep me from falling, I still love that part. Now what to ask for it money wise.Only 60 thousand miles on the engine. WA9FWT phil 73

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

WA9FWT wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 pm
I was not going to write a note about giving up motor cycling .I just walk out to the garage and
open the door and look at my cycle and say old Gal, your for sale!! I put on a whole six miles so far this season. I turned 81 last month,and I sure feel it.I made a lot of friends on this site and will miss them.I do read a lot of posts still,and enjoy that part. But my health is comming to a end and even have troubles running this computer. 11 years ago I turned my 1982 goldwing aspencade into a trike to keep me from falling, I still love that part. Now what to ask for it money wise.Only 60 thousand miles on the engine. WA9FWT phil 73
Wow Phil, I'm sorry to hear this. You're another long-time member (and prolific contributor!), and I remember 11 years ago (right about the time you first joined) when you did that trike conversion. Here's hoping you get what you want, and that your health is nowhere near coming to an end. :)

landisr
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

larrycole wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:10 pm
I hear you, Dave. I bought my first Honda - a 50cc Supersport - in 1965. I bought a 1976 GL1000 from a friend in 1984, not realizing it would be the last bike I owned. Living outside of Denver, I took many trips through Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, even into my 60s. When I retired and moved to central Oregon, I trailered the Wing with me. Once here, long camping trips seemed to be more intimidating, even though Ol Yeller still runs like it was new. If I drop it, as I did on a gas station oil slick last month, I need help to get it upright. I'm about the slide into 3rd base at 75 years old soon, but haven't decided to give it up yet. I'm still looking for a sidecar that doesn't cost more than what I paid for the bike.
For used, here are some CL search results in your area:

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?se ... #gsc.tab=0

Also, for new, you could check out Velorex sidecars. They're quite reasonably priced, I think.

http://www.velorexusa.com/retailprice.shtml

Ron in AZ
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

larrycole

Post by larrycole »

Thanks for the links Ron, but $10,500 for a Harley sidecar or even $3,300 for a new Velorex (plus shipping from Florida to Oregon) are too much for this retiree. I only paid $2,800 for the Wing, and I've been riding it for 36 years.

landisr
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Copy that. Ride long and safe.
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

pocketchange
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by pocketchange »

After 60 plus years of riding, my balance became a issue over a period of years.
I thought it was back surgeries, heart surgeries, eye issues, joint replacement or being in my mid-70s.
NOPE... Vitamin D3.
I got lucky and found a old(er) Doctor that suggested I investigate the results of aging and nutrition.
It would be very positive to research the results of low levels of D3, since we ain't gettin any younger. pc :o

baronsmear
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1978 CB750K
1972 CB350
1963 CA77

Post by baronsmear »

Your knowledge is still valuable, and the magic can live in another way. Have you visited any of the community motorcycle garages in Ontario? There is T's Cafe in Barrie, OTOMOTO in Toronto, and Moto Revere in Toronto. I am positive that your knowledge and experience would be most welcomed at these places. You'll get the magic of helping out a fellow rider every time you visit.

Northwings
Motorcycle: 2005 GL 1800 30th Anniversary / Hannigan Trike

Post by Northwings »

Seven years ago, when I was 66, the magic was gone. I had been riding for 47 years, including 32 on a Yamaha XS11 I got new. My back hurt, I heard funny noises that were not really there and started to think “what if” every time I got above 65 mph. The bike itself was getting hard starting, rough running and prone to minor bugs. I was about ready to sell the bike and restrict my fun riding to my Mustang convertible. Then my wife and I trailered the bike to Alaska behind a motorhome, using it for short side trips, even ferrying it out to Glacier Bay National Park to camp while the RV remained in Skagway. We had a blast! On the ferry back to Skagway, we met a couple who had ridden from Texas on Honda’s, one of them a Goldwing pulling a tent camper. In the years since, we have become good friends, meeting to camp and ride in Texas, Maine and Ohio. I always said I’d quit before getting a trike, but three years ago I had a stroke and can no longer balance a heavy two-wheeler. However, I couldn’t give up: the bike, the friends we’ve made and the riding. I now have a GL1800 with a Hannigan trike kit and love it; in fact we are going on a group ride tomorrow. We still trailer on the longer trips, but the magic is back!

Ridgeback
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Ridgeback »

Congratulations Dave. What an epic adventure you have had with your bike - and live to tell the tales. I wish you keep the happy memories for many more years to come. Best wishes. Ridgeback Rhodesian.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave »

Ridgeback wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:54 am
Congratulations Dave. What an epic adventure you have had with your bike - and live to tell the tales. I wish you keep the happy memories for many more years to come. Best wishes. Ridgeback Rhodesian.
Thanks Ridgeback. It's only been just less than 2 months now since I sold my Wing, and I can easily say that the transition has been quite gentle. I see many bikers out there everyday. The weather has been exceptionally good, although quite hot for riding I must say. I see them, and for a split second it does grab my attention, and I do have a moment of wonder. Would I still like to be out there riding with them? But I'm content with the path I've taken, and I honestly hope that they all have the same overwhelming thrill, of the motorcycling adventure, that I did. And that goes for you Ridgeback, and all the rest of you as well. There's really nothing that even comes close. You have to experience it, in person, to really understand.

Be good. Ride carefully. And enjoy the trip........................Dave :D

"Assume Nothing"