Steam Cleaner For Motorcycles - Anyone Tried This?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
mberk01
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2019 Harley CVO Ultra Limited

Steam Cleaner For Motorcycles - Anyone Tried This?

Post by mberk01 »

I'm thinking of buying a light-duty steam cleaner for cleaning my motorcycle. I'm leaning toward a McCulloch MC1385; $199.99 on Amazon. Intended use would be on metal parts only, like the engine, frame and wheels. I would never use it on plastic parts. I'm interested in hearing from members with first-hand experience; good or bad. Does it clean well enough to make it worthwhile? Did it harm any paint or clear coat?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Steam Cleaner For Motorcycles - Anyone Tried This?

Post by dingdong »

I haven't tried it but there was a thread regarding this a couple of months ago. The guy stated that he had no problems with plastic or paint as those questions came up. Worked great according to him. ???

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

One Word of Caution.

If you put steam onto any of the Wiring Harness, when it cools off, it will suck in water and start corrosion in a BIG way.....

then later, you will start fighting all kinds of weird gremlins....
my advice is to forget the steam cleaner for the bike's internals.

wheels? maybe okay, as long as no vapor gets inside the main bike parts and wiring. and preventing that will be hard....

I say no.

Ever buy a Used Car from the dealer? open the hood and it is oh, ever so clean....
Grandma only drove it to church on Sundays.....
yeah, right hogface.

6 months or a year later, that car is giving you so much trouble, you have to dump it.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Care needs to be taken also that the pressured moisture, if using a steamer or pressure washer, doesn't get to the wheel bearings as well as the wiring. While I'm sure some will chime in and say they do it often with no issues, there is no need to use a pressure washer or steamer when cleaning your bike. If you decide to do it anyway, a leaf blower will help the drying process- but that presents a different set of possibilities!

mberk01
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2019 Harley CVO Ultra Limited

Post by mberk01 »

Now you have me curious. I've been using a leaf blower to dry my bike for years. What problems have you experienced or heard about? By the way, I wrap my handle bar controls with Walmart bags to keep the water out. I know they are supposed to be water proof; but since I started doing the Walmart bag thing I haven't had any trouble with intermittent or sticky switches.

alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

Post by alwrmcusn »

JMO: When I was stationed at NCS Londonderry in the '60's, I would use the galley outside pot/kettle steamer to clean my Matchless 650. It did a great job and I never had a problem caused by the steam cleaner. HOWEVER, that was before vehicles became rolling computers!

Every motorcycle can out perform it's rider.