transponder placement

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
kicker29
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200 Interstate

transponder placement

Post by kicker29 »

Hi guys. I have another odd question. :?: I am curious as to where and how have you mounted the transponder for toll booths. :roll: I have a couple ideas but before I commit to one I would like to know how others have done this. :idea: I wouldn't think you would put it right on the windshield, seems as though it would block some vision. :shock: Thanks in advance. :)

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: transponder placement

Post by AZgl1800 »

on my 1800, it tried it in the side pockets, and unless I slowed down to about 10 mph, they never registered.

so, I pulled a pocket out, and stuck it up against the front part of the fairing, and now they work okay.

obviously, if stuck to the windshield like on a car, they would do better, but the Transponder that was sent to me, had an instruction sheet to avoid putting it on curved windshields as it would blow off. :!:

they said to "find a place where it will work", or hold it up with your hands as you go by. :roll:
only did that once, and decided that is not going to work for me.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I've had mine mounted on the inside of the windshield for YEARS. And it was in the same place on my GL1100 for years before that. It's never "blown off" and works every time.

E-Z Pass Tag
E-Z Pass Tag

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

seeing how you stuck that to the windshield, and seeing that I have a Madstad windscreen since I got the transponder 12 years ago,

I might move it up to the screen, then I could fly through the toll gates at 100 mph :mrgreen:

that ought to earn me some Brownie Points :roll:

Here in Oklahoma, they have signs stating " 30 mph " thru the gates.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

I fasten it in place with 3M Dual Lock Fastening Tape which I buy by the roll. It's extremely strong, holds even heavy things very solidly in place, but you can remove them if you need to (to throw the tag in the trunk when parked, for instance) - and unlike velcro, it doesn't wear out over time.

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:54 pm
I fasten it in place with 3M Dual Lock Fastening Tape which I buy by the roll. It's extremely strong, holds even heavy things very solidly in place, but you can remove them if you need to (to throw the tag in the trunk when parked, for instance) - and unlike velcro, it doesn't wear out over time.
I just stuck that in my Cart for the next order.
My daughter is a Rural Mail Carrier and she needs several things powered up on 12V DC, so I have a "1-to-4" power adapter with a toggle switch for each outlet....

it is great, allows her to turn ON/OFF the Hazard Light Flashers that I installed on the roof of her car....
but, that power adapter does not have a way to be attached to anything, and that tape is exactly what I have been searching for.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

NC Mainframe
Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Gold Wing, level 3

Post by NC Mainframe »

Hi all,

Here in North Carolina we have a sticker with a built in sending electrode that goes on the front of the headlight lens cover. My wife found out about it when she called about getting a transponder for our bikes. I ride a 2016 Gold Wing level 3 and she rides a 2014 Spyder RTS SE6.

We have had them attached for about three years. They have never come off, come loose or anything. We ride in all kinds of weather. They work great and have never failed. Cleaning isn't an issue either.

Thanks,
James "Mainframe"

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

If you use the 3M Dual Lock, I recommend overlapping the two halves only about 50%. That stuff is so strong when fully interlocked that it's super hard to get undone without messing up the adhesive on the windshield or the transponder itself. At a 50% overlap it's still so strong it's never going to come off by itself, but you can convince it off the windshield with a rocking motion without disturbing the adhesive.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Luckily in Texas (with TxTag, not HCTRA, not sure about NTTA and others) I can just register my plate on my account and don't have to carry a transponder at all. They just get a pic of my plate as I drive through and it goes on my account.

Does the transponder fit in your passenger pocket? Maybe stick it on the door there. Plastic is thin enough for the transponder to work and is still forward facing.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Post by johnny42 »

When I know I'm going to use a tolled highway, I attach mine to the velcro strips EZ Pass supplied with the transponder. I mount it as low as it can go inside the front windshield. The velcro strips have a strong glue which seems pretty robust.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

tamathumper wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:53 am
If you use the 3M Dual Lock, I recommend overlapping the two halves only about 50%. That stuff is so strong when fully interlocked that it's super hard to get undone without messing up the adhesive on the windshield or the transponder itself. At a 50% overlap it's still so strong it's never going to come off by itself, but you can convince it off the windshield with a rocking motion without disturbing the adhesive.
I've never had a problem with it! I take that thing off and throw it in the trunk every time I stop somewhere. The trick I think is to start pulling it off from one side, so it starts gradually coming off. I've never had the adhesive part come off instead of the fastener part either.

Squishy Tia
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 ABS

Post by Squishy Tia »

You know what would really sell like hotcakes? A sturdy Goldwing windshield that has a built in holder for toll transponders like EZPass or FasTrak. In order to not get assessed for tolls on the express lanes here, you must have a FasTrak Flex and set to the #3 position on the switch to indicate it's being used on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, pockets don't seem to get it to register, and holding it up is both illegal here and if you drop it you're screwed. There used to be a handlebar mount for these types of transponders by Kuryakyn, but those have long since been discontinued.

I sincerely don't get the lack of toll transponder mounts for motorcycles. Surely there's a market for them given they're required in most major cities now?

norbi1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by norbi1 »

For a few years I had the transponder attached to the back of the windshield. Few weeks ago, riding on the bumpy highway the transponder disangaged from the special 3M clips and I lost it. I ordered new one but trying to avoid same problem I did a little research on the placement. I didn't want to put it back on the windshield because when I tried to move 3M locking tape it took of special coating from the windshield. This made me try another location. I really liked the idea of keeping transponder in the back side pocket. Few riders had bad experience with that but I thought that since windshield is made from acrylic and pocket doors are made from some kind of thin plastic, it should work. And it does. I guess the secret is that you don't just toss it inside but you install transponder same way like on the windshield: on the 3M strips with the TOP arrows to the top. For a few rides I went to the state website to check if transponder is readable and so far I had no problem with the tools. I'm attaching a picture of the placement.

Have a great rest of the summer, people! :-)

Squishy Tia
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 ABS

Post by Squishy Tia »

norbi1 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:38 pm
For a few years I had the transponder attached to the back of the windshield. Few weeks ago, riding on the bumpy highway the transponder disangaged from the special 3M clips and I lost it. I ordered new one but trying to avoid same problem I did a little research on the placement. I didn't want to put it back on the windshield because when I tried to move 3M locking tape it took of special coating from the windshield. This made me try another location. I really liked the idea of keeping transponder in the back side pocket. Few riders had bad experience with that but I thought that since windshield is made from acrylic and pocket doors are made from some kind of thin plastic, it should work. And it does. I guess the secret is that you don't just toss it inside but you install transponder same way like on the windshield: on the 3M strips with the TOP arrows to the top. For a few rides I went to the state website to check if transponder is readable and so far I had no problem with the tools. I'm attaching a picture of the placement.20200901_230934.jpg
Have a great rest of the summer, people! :-)
That works if your side pockets have securely locking latches. Sadly our trike does not. They will stay shut on their own, but not with anything attached to either side of them. I still can't believe nobody makes a good windshield with a holder built in. It would solve so many problems. Unfortunately when I'm riding with my grandpa, I can't utilize the pocket method since something in the outer shell of the original Rev-It! Defender jackets blocks RFID well enough that neither toll plaza nor bridge mounted toll sensors read the transponder. And putting it in my grandpa's cup holder (which does securely hold it) is hit and miss due to the holder's proximity to metal, not to mention it means he can't bring a cup of coffee with him on the ride.

It's one of the most frustrating aspects of riding in the bay area here, and it's going to get much worse now that 880 is getting its own toll lane in just a few weeks. We'd have gotten several tickets by now had I not registered all of my grandpa's cars and his Goldwing trike on the FasTrak website specifically for those instances where the transponder fails to register and the plate's picture gets snapped instead.

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I removed the pocket on my 1800 and pressed the transponder against the fairing as far forward as it would go.

has worked okay for me for over 4 years now.

I do NOT trust any adhesive on the curved windshield to be permanent, and I don't want it there anyway.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

tonypil
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Post by tonypil »

When I first got my '02 Gold Wing, I was told that there's no good place to put an Illinois I-Pass that will register when going through a toll. I asked a few people who ride Wings about putting it in the trunk, but they told me that the trunk luggage rack interferes with the signal. They all had larger (Kury) racks than mine, so I just duct taped it on the front wall of the trunk temporarily, and it worked at every toll booth in Illinois and Indiana. I finally used the 3M Dual Lock fasteners that came with the I-Pass, and it's been there for 6 years and never missed a toll yet.

OldRider2
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing GL1800
1977 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (SOLD)

Post by OldRider2 »

WingAdmin. Do you use both the 3M Dual Lock Tape and the Velcro Tabs supplied with the EZ Pass Transponders? I couldn't tell by the picture on the windshield.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

The transponders I have received, in four states, have all come with 3M Dual Lock fasteners.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

OldRider2 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:29 pm
WingAdmin. Do you use both the 3M Dual Lock Tape and the Velcro Tabs supplied with the EZ Pass Transponders? I couldn't tell by the picture on the windshield.
As Tamathumper said, they CAME with 3M Dual Lock fasteners. That said, I have rolls of that stuff, so it's possible I used my own on it.

Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1983 GW Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

tamathumper wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:53 am
That stuff is so strong when fully interlocked that it's super hard to get undone without messing up the adhesive on the windshield or the transponder itself.
First, I usually buy it in 3/4" width, without adhesive. Shoe Goo is far superior to the foam tape they use. I buy some with the adhesive for quick jobs.

Second, most people use enough to lift the bike with. All you need is a couple of strips 1/2" x 1/4"

For bigger stuff, I put strips where I figure I'm going to mount stuff, then run short strips 90 degrees perpendicular on the stuff I want to mount. That way I don't have to mate them perfectly, and have the option of adding more stuff or relocating what I mounted. You can stack stuff on top of other stuff if you want to mix n match.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

i have mine mounted on the windshield, i don't have a pic of it on the wing but here is one of it mounted on the Mighty ST1300
Attachments

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

I use the EZ Toll mesh holder for my Sunpass (can see the EZ Toll on Amazon).
Just place my Sunpass in the mesh bag, slide the mechanism down to cinch it tight, and attach to the area just above the gas tank (will also attach to the handlebars or other area of the bike easily). Works every time, plus I can just take the Sunpass that's in my car and transfer to the motorcycle when I need it. I also like that when I park the motorcycle somewhere it's easy to remove the Sunpass and lock it in the trunk while I'm not there to keep an eye on it.

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

mterraci wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:00 pm
I use the EZ Toll mesh holder for my Sunpass (can see the EZ Toll on Amazon).
Just place my Sunpass in the mesh bag, slide the mechanism down to cinch it tight, and attach to the area just above the gas tank (will also attach to the handlebars or other area of the bike easily). Works every time, plus I can just take the Sunpass that's in my car and transfer to the motorcycle when I need it. I also like that when I park the motorcycle somewhere it's easy to remove the Sunpass and lock it in the trunk while I'm not there to keep an eye on it.
that will get you a citation in Oklahoma....
each transponder is linked to the License Plate & Vehicle description.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

My Sunpass is as well; you're allowed to assign it to more than one vehicle. I have both the car and the motorcycle registered (license plate and description).