Helibar adjustable hAndlebars

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
JustJim
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800 1982 GS 1100 1987 Yamaha Zuma

Helibar adjustable hAndlebars

Post by JustJim »

Hello all. Have been enjoying a decent summer in Wisconsin. Lots of riding weather and treated myself to a mesh jacket during th warmest part. My question may be for a different forum but here goes. I am 6’7’ and looking to make more room or comfort on my 2016 GL1800. Comfort drop mini boards set back to last of three positions and trident oversized break pedal help. Looking at HELIBARS to help adjust my position. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. They say they raise a bit...good.. They would adjust to straighten them out...good? But they also mention they move back...bad? I think I would prefer them a bit forward. Any advice regarding the bars or the big guy on the bike would be appreciated By the way... signed up for advanced riding course later in August. Cheap $100 at votech and will improve upon parking lot practice. Keep the shiny side up, take care

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Helibar adjustable hAndlebars

Post by Viking »

My opinion, you would be better off with something like an Ultimate King seat, or a Corbin King seat, either of which would move you back about two inches. They do, however, both lower the amount of room for the passenger. If your passenger is large, then it gets to be a tight squeeze. If you like the stock seat, and know of a custom seat maker or renovator, then you could do the same thing with a stock seat for a LOT less money than an Ultimate or Corbin would set you back.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

JustJim

Post by JustJim »

My passenger loves the stock seat as is andDOES NOTfeel good with spending a bunch of money ona seat which she may not like. Have talked to Hartco about seat which moves me back and up a bit while trying to preserve her space by making passenger backrest more straight up and down. Still a lot of money on a custom job with adjustment possible but no returns. Still thinking, will keep you posted thanks for input

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

I am NOT that tall and can not speak on your comfort.

I do though have Heli-bars. Yes, they go up/down, forward/aft and in/out (wheelbarrow effect). They are as advertised. Expensive but if you need them, worth every penny.

Seats. Everyone has their favorite. I like Ultimate brand but Russell, Corbin, etc. all have their proponents. I have bought several seats for various bikes and usually buy used. That way, If I don't like it, I can resell without taking a big loss. Of course a new one made to your specifications would be a good solution.

Also look at pegs. Tall guys especially like the Mick-o-Pegs. Trouble is they have like 20 different models for the Wing. Give them a call or e-mail them with their comfort analysis form. Maybe even a road trip and personal visit. http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/page1.php
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Andy Cote wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 am
I do though have Heli-bars. Yes, they go up/down, forward/aft and in/out (wheelbarrow effect). They are as advertised. Expensive but if you need them, worth every penny.

Tall guys especially like the Mick-o-Pegs. Trouble is they have like 20 different models for the Wing. Give them a call or e-mail them with their comfort analysis form. Maybe even a road trip and personal visit.
That could be a solution for you JustJim, as you are close enough to visit them:

RIW, Inc. (Mick-O-Pegs Headquarters)
56730 Fairchild Rd.
Macomb, MI 48042-1517
Phone: (231) 714-4606
Email: mickopegs@gmail.com
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Put a bead seat on, and it will raise you a half inch or so, it's cheap, and every little bit helps.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

JustJim

Post by JustJim »

Thanks for all the input guys. I may just try a beaded seat. I had a small cushion on my GS 1100 Which Raised me about an inch it seemed like it made a great big difference. I like the idea of the handlebars the stock ones are a bit laid-back for me and I think straightened a bit and higher would be better, would help them clear my knees when I’ve got the bars locked down ontight turns going slow. Bars forward may also put me in more of a sport bike position which I kind of liked on my GS. It took my weight off my butt and put it on my thighs where I felt like I can control the bike a little bit better. Anyway it seems like it’s gone from summer to fall overnight where I’m at maybe I should get put this down and get Riding. take care of thanks again

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Summer comes on a weekend up your way, I know from living in upstate NY and Maine for over 50 years. ;)

Was looking at a potential opportunity with INNIO, cross between Waukesha and GE engine companies - I used to work for GE power generation. Didn't come through, maybe thankfully given the short season, I'm kind of enjoying things in Charlotte, NC. ;)

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2