Don't trust that jack

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Don't trust that jack

Post by WingAdmin »

This is a picture of John Smith (yes, his real name):

John Smith
John Smith

A longtime family friend, I can remember huge family parties at his house when I was a small child. I have literally known him my entire life.

John was an expert heavy diesel mechanic, and had a great love of restoring old cars. He's been working on cars and machinery his entire life. He was a mechanic's mechanic.

Two weeks ago he was found, laying in his driveway, crushed to death underneath the car he was working on, because the jack he was using to prop it up had failed. No jackstands.

Don't take shortcuts with vehicles. Use jackstands. Have a backup in case those fail. John knew better, but I'm sure he was thinking, "oh it will just be for a minute, it will be fine."

It wasn't fine. Learn from John.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Don't trust that jack

Post by AZgl1800 »

So sorry for the loss of your friend....

Jacks scare me, theY leak down over time, even the new ones.

My jack stands are always kept at the edge of the garage door to remind me USE THAT THING!
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Sorry to hear it, a grim reminder of why we need to do it.

I work in an ER and get a few a year that have severe injuries or death from this.
Also a reminder that you need QUALITY stands.
There has been a recent recall of Harbor Freight jackstands, and then a recall on the replacement for the recall.
Buy something like USJack stands. Sure they are pricey (~$140 for a pair of 3 ton stands), but they are quality that you can trust and will last your lifetime and then some.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

Very sorry for the loss.

I had luckily escaped a similar situation when I was much younger, and took that lesson to heart.

Saw a friend come within seconds of ending himself the same way. I had a few choice words for him as we were not so young (dumb) at that point.

It's so easy to take a little shortcut, because really, when was the last time I dropped the car on the ground? Or if I have been working all damn day and just need to get this last thing done before I stop.

No offense intended toward John. That's a horrible thing to happen to anybody, and unfortunately bad things still happen to good people.

I think we all have probably been bitten when doing something in a rush or past the point where fatigue makes one's reaction time slow. Sometimes you get away clean, other times not.

Deepest condolences to the man's family and friends.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

I work with a man whose brother suffered the same fate a few years ago, was found in the garage under his car. Jack stands can be a life saver, literally.

My thoughts and prayers to friends and family of this gentleman.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Failure of jacks is one of the main reasons I use ramps. They work for about everything except changing wheels. I also, when using jack stands, will not use the ratcheting, really expensive ones, because the ratchet mechanism can and does fail. Good old pin jackstands cannot compress through that half inch pin. My pin jackstands are made from 1/8 inch angle iron, and can likely support five or more tons each. I have two of these, but wish I could find more. I have not looked for more for a while, and this sad occurrence is a push for me to start looking again. Thanks for the reminder Scott, as we all get older and a bit careless occasionally.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

"Invisible energy" gets my greatest respect - hydraulics, springs, air pressure, and electricity.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

jcn59
Motorcycle: 1986 1200A Aspencade

Post by jcn59 »

Sorry about your friend. We are probably all lucky to be alive, I know I am.

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

tamathumper wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:50 am
"Invisible energy" gets my greatest respect - hydraulics, springs, air pressure, and electricity.
I'd like to add gravity to this list.
jcn59 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:06 pm
We are probably all lucky to be alive, I know I am.
This.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

Yikes. Sorry about the loss of your friend.

Lesson to learn: buy jackstands if you don't have them, buy QUALITY ones, and go overboard on the rating. Also, heavy duty chockblocks.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman »

What a tragic loss. I guess sometimes such vast experience leads us to cut corners or not think about the potential risks and consequences of what we are about to do.
Please be mindful of how you use those jack's and jack stands. Remember that the car is going to move forwards, backwards, or sideways as you either jack it up or let it down as the suspension rises or falls.
Jacking, like winching is one of those tasks that 'near enough' is not 'good enough'. Taking a 'that will probably do' attitude is sure to lead to an accident. If the whole thing is wandering off to one side as you jack it up, then please take the time and effort to lower it back down, rethink/reposition the jack, and then lift it again.
Consider chocking the wheels to be standard practice when jacking, as well as using parking brakes etc... I've seen cars roll off their jack's more than a few times (scissor jack's are the very worst for this!).
I've often grabbed an alloy wheel I just took off, and position it under the sill just behind or in front of the wheel arch, so I know if the jack and jack stand let go, the car is only going to drop onto that wheel. It might wreck the alloy, but not my legs as I'm sat with them stretched under the car working on the brakes etc...
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Very sorry for the loss of your friend.
This brings to mind many near misses when using bumper jacks. Yeah, I'm that old.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam »

I don't even trust Jack stands. I like to slide an old tire rim under their wheels and then let the vehicle down on them. This happened to my neighbor, He survived but can't work any more.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Sadanorakman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:39 pm
I've often grabbed an alloy wheel I just took off, and position it under the sill just behind or in front of the wheel arch, so I know if the jack and jack stand let go, the car is only going to drop onto that wheel. It might wreck the alloy, but not my legs as I'm sat with them stretched under the car working on the brakes etc...
I've done this many times as well! Cheap insurance.

Bzrut
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Bzrut »

Sorry for your lost. This weekend I go into the the garage and found my 82 GL1100 on its right side. I had it jack up a little, but stupid me didn't put the lock on :roll: Not sure how long it was on its side but found a small puddle of oil, thing is I couldn't figure where It leaked from, I haven't started it yet just so the oil can settle.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Post by echinus1988 »

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

One other thing I was told by a friend is to NEVER use cinder blocks. They are known to suddenly collapse when excessive weight is put on them. Use jackstands only and make sure they are completely stable. He also uses wood like 4X4s but you have to stack them carefully and make sure they can't wobble and slip.

Ride Safe!

Sharon2665
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing 1800 w/ Razor trike kit

Post by Sharon2665 »

So sorry for the loss of your friend.
It is a very very real dangerous risk. About 2 yrs ago my husbands brother in law had the jacks fail on a car he was working under. He was hurst pretty bad but luckily his wife found him and they were able to get the car off of him and EMS there in time to save him. Never take the risk.
Prayers for his family and friends.

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 »

I’m a firm believer in not only jack stands but wheel chocks. Safety first always. I work construction and learned from building movers that their working reality is lift an inch, crib an inch. In other words every time they lift the load one inch they then support it another inch capable enough to support it should a jack fail.
My condolences to the family and friends. Horrible way to go. Years ago my wife’s cousin’s son was crushed when he removed the wrong hydraulic hose on a front end loader. He too didn’t have any support under the bucket of the loader. A fatal mistake. He left behind a young wife who was soon to find out she was pregnant and two young sons.These accidents are preventable with minimal time and effort. We just have to slow down a little and think SAFETY FIRST! ALWAYS!!

klook
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing

Post by klook »

Yes to all of them. I have had bumper jacks roll out, I am that old also. I have had hydraulic jacks fail. I once had a cinder block explode under a 1953 2 1/2 ton Army truck.
Someone mentioned ramps, I had a friend that lost his brother when I was 10 or so. The ramps rolled over.....be careful what surface they are on. By the time I survived these mishaps and learned from others, I arrived at 6x6 blocks and other blocking.
But hydraulics are amazing. I once broke a PT 6x6 in half between 16 in. OC stringers. I just moved my head out of the way or I would have died. A 20 ton jack with all the pressure on that little round end is dangerous.

I almost forgot, I lost a friend that trusted a chain......to hold up a tailgate on a large dump truck.

Kevin

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 »

dingdong wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:57 pm
Very sorry for the loss of your friend.
This brings to mind many near misses when using bumper jacks. Yeah, I'm that old.
Especially when your on the rear bumper!!! :lol: