Hiflo filtro air filter

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
bernyboy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

Hiflo filtro air filter

Post by bernyboy »

Has anybody used or researched Hiflo Filtro air filters on their Goldwing? They are so inexpensive it is tempting but also seems too good to be true. I am just wondering if anyone here has info on them. It is hard to find the straight scoop on this stuff. The name sounds pretty corny and I know what they say about high flow and more debris. I am not looking for more power, just good performance and protection. But if a $10.00 filter does the job very well, then why pay $60.00? Any thoughts?

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Hiflo filtro air filter

Post by tamathumper »

For me it's not the cost of the filter, it's the value of what it is protecting. The difference in surface area between the air filter and the two little 40mm throttle bodies is so big there's no reason to need more air flowing through the filter element.
'03 GL1800A

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

HiFlofiltro is the brand name, it does not mean higher flow than stock.
They have been around for quite a few years (like since the 50's) and are a good replacement filter (both oil and air filters).
The actually make air and oil filters for many OEM (automotive and motorcycle) and also make K&N oil filters.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Yes, but it was your comment "I know what they say about high flow and more debris" that led me to believe you were considering a specific filter that flowed more air.

Aside from the filtering media, there have been issues even with expensive off-brand air filters (K&N) not sealing around the gasket lip at the edge of the airbox, and ultimately warping the airbox itself, allowing unfiltered air and particulates into the engine. There have also been off-brand air filters whose rubber gaskets degraded and fell apart. Try a Google search for "GL1800 K&N filter warped". You'll also see results for Emgo and others mixed in.

With air and oil filters I tend to stick with OEM.

'03 GL1800A