My (latest) fail

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

My (latest) fail

Post by tamathumper »

My latest fail with video cameras and mounts has posted on YouTube.

Don't forget to Like and Subscribe for future fails. :roll:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Re: My (latest) fail

Post by blupupher »

Looks like a really nice ride. Pretty scenery and fun roads.

I don't like camera's mounted to the side for a main camera. just does not look right.
I still think the best primary camera view is a chin mount, then top of helmet. Most bike mounted cameras tends to have too much vibration, even with image stabilization.
I recently bought a motorcycle "dash cam", and mounted it under the headlight and under the trunk. View is better than I thought it would be, but image quality leaves a lot to be desired. A higher quality camera would help.

link to a vid with the dash cam, and this is the camera
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Thanks for the post! I found when I mounted my camera on top of the right side mirror, I experienced none of the issues(windshield reflections and dirt/bugs, wind and camera noise)that you did. Those were some nice roads..

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

blupupher wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 am
Looks like a really nice ride. Pretty scenery and fun roads.

I don't like camera's mounted to the side for a main camera. just does not look right.
I still think the best primary camera view is a chin mount, then top of helmet. Most bike mounted cameras tends to have too much vibration, even with image stabilization.
I recently bought a motorcycle "dash cam", and mounted it under the headlight and under the trunk. View is better than I thought it would be, but image quality leaves a lot to be desired. A higher quality camera would help.

link to a vid with the dash cam, and this is the camera
Blupupher, thank you for the links, the first one goes to a generic page, but would love to see a sample of the video from that camera. I'm considering the INNOV K2.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

minimac wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:56 am
Thanks for the post! I found when I mounted my camera on top of the right side mirror, I experienced none of the issues(windshield reflections and dirt/bugs, wind and camera noise)that you did. Those were some nice roads..
Thank you minimac, I have the 3M VHB sticky mounts, I'm just afraid to stick them to the paint! And how do you tether the camera, and to what?

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

tamathumper wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Blupupher, thank you for the links, the first one goes to a generic page, but would love to see a sample of the video from that camera. I'm considering the INNOV K2.
Well I was trying to post a link to youtube, but the forum will not let me, only lets me post the video itself (was trying to not clutter up your post with my video).

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

The K2 looks nice, but at almost 2x what I spent for mine, not for what I need it for (have thought about vlogging, but just don't think I will). I wanted something to record just in case something happens. What I got does well enough for that.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

That looks pretty good, do you mean you want something in higher resolution? Is it 720, or 1080?

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

It is 1080, but only 30 fps, and the cameras are not the greatest quality. They are Sony sensors, but are medium quality at best.
You can read license plates with it when they are closer, but at distance or at speed, not so well, and light balance is bad at times.
For better images (ie primary video for moto-vloging), you would need better sensors and ideally 1080p @ 60 fps.

Here is the setup on my bike right now:

1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

tamathumper wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm
Thank you minimac, I have the 3M VHB sticky mounts, I'm just afraid to stick them to the paint! And how do you tether the camera, and to what?
Before using the sticky mount that came with my older GoPro, I heated the top of the mirror slightly with Mrs. Minis hair dryer, and let it sit for a day before mounting the camera. The camera locked into place, by sliding towards the back of the bike, like it was supposed to. The sticky tape held with no problem, and when it was time to remove the mount, it lifted off-with a little oomph- and a quick wipe with some Goo Begone removed any residual stuff. No damage to the paint at all. There was no need to tether the camera, I turned it on,with a fully charged battery and got all of the riding I wanted, 32 miles of the Back of the Dragon recorded.

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

Thanks, that's what I did yesterday, after biting the bullet for a few minutes.

I just don't know if I can trust that or any adhesive at 20 degrees in salty spray...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I've had my camera mounted UNDER my front fairing (hanging there) using only VHB tape, for many years now. It's not gone anywhere.

If you're worried, I'd:

- First wipe the paint clean of wax with rubbing alcohol
- Use some 3M adhesion promoter wipes on both the mounting point and the bracket before applying the VHB tape.

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

Good tips.

Now that I think about it, the camera was practically free, so between losing that and messing up my paint when I have to remove that VHB, I think I'd opt for the VHB just letting go and launching itself and the camera into the universe on a random mountain road. :D