Tires

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Billthebulldog
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda NightHawk 650 (Sold)
1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1100A (Current)

Tires

Post by Billthebulldog »

Hey yall,
I was wondering when it was a good time to replace tires on the gold wings? I know for cars that you can use the penny method to test tread depth and when it reaches blows Abe's head that its time to replace. Is that the same for bikes? Also, I recently ran over some motor oil while driving (Whole gallon spilt in the road in a roundabout and wasn't able to move out of the way) and now seem to have a slippry patch on the rear tire, how should I get rid of that? Thanks!

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Tires

Post by tamathumper »

Motorcycle tires are done when you get near the "wear bar" indicators on that particular tire, typically 1/32", or when they are over a certain age, many say 5 years. It's best to replace them before they get down that far, and IIRC a penny is 1/16" to Lincoln's head, which is a good indicator that it's getting time to order a new one. A quarter is about 1/8".

Because motorcycle tires can have hard centers and soft outer shoulders (the opposite of a Tootsie Roll Pop) you might find you're down to the wear bars on one of the "zones" with plenty of tread left in the other, but it's still time to retire them.

They don't explode if you reach the wear bars, I overused my last set and the shoulders were completely worn off, right down to having no tread left. :shock: But they didn't perform any differently than when they were new, they just made me extremely nervous once I realized how worn they were.
'03 GL1800A

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

I just replaced an Elite 4 that had the cords showing. I had been keeping a real good eye on it, and from still okay to thread showing took about 200 miles. What this told me is that Elite 4, for sure, wear faster at the end of their life. These tires have really weird wear bars within the tread pattern which have been evident for the last probably 4000 miles. Also, I only got about 8,000 miles from the rear, and it looks like the front is near the end as well. All the foregoing describes a specific tire, so, is not a generic answer to cover all tires. It does however, demonstrate that replacing tires a bit early is a good idea. If I had looked at the tire 200 miles back, planning on a thousand mile trip, I probably would have thought I was okay for that. I would not have been.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

In New York, a tire-whether a car or motorcycle -won't pass the annual inspection if it is less than 2/32". I've always replaced mine before it's flush with the wear bars. Keep in mind also, that the closer it gets to the wear bars, the faster the tires seem to wear. Or you could use the Lucky/Safe method.....How lucky/safe do you feel? :D

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

Viking wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:15 am
I just replaced an Elite 4 that had the cords showing. I had been keeping a real good eye on it, and from still okay to thread showing took about 200 miles. What this told me is that Elite 4, for sure, wear faster at the end of their life. These tires have really weird wear bars within the tread pattern which have been evident for the last probably 4000 miles. Also, I only got about 8,000 miles from the rear, and it looks like the front is near the end as well. All the foregoing describes a specific tire, so, is not a generic answer to cover all tires. It does however, demonstrate that replacing tires a bit early is a good idea. If I had looked at the tire 200 miles back, planning on a thousand mile trip, I probably would have thought I was okay for that. I would not have been.
Glad to hear you shared that experience, I thought I was being extremely negligent somehow by not noticing how worn the tires were, but I could have sworn I had checked them not that long before and they still had tread left.
'03 GL1800A

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking »

tamathumper wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 am
Glad to hear you shared that experience, I thought I was being extremely negligent somehow by not noticing how worn the tires were, but I could have sworn I had checked them not that long before and they still had tread left.
The best mileage I have gotten out of tires on this Goldwing GL1800 has been on Dunlop D250s which were what came originally on the bike. I have also used Avons and Dunlop Elite 3 and Elite 4. I cannot get D250 tires any more, but would still be using them if I could. I just decided to try a set of Shinko tires. I cannot do worse with them than with the Elite 4s. I seldom ride gravel, and then only if forced to for a detour. We do have some roads here that are called "tar and gravel" where they spread tar and then grade gravel over it. When the loose gravel all sluffs off to the shoulders, there is a rough hard surface that is like a poor quality asphalt. I am sure that it eats tires.

tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

IIRC I got over 15,000 miles on the rear Dunlop Elite 4, and the front is still on there with plenty of tread left. That was across the country and back twice, plus lots of local riding.
'03 GL1800A

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking »

tamathumper wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 pm
IIRC I got over 15,000 miles on the rear Dunlop Elite 4, and the front is still on there with plenty of tread left. That was across the country and back twice, plus lots of local riding.
As I have been known to suggest, either you have much better roads in the U.S. of A. than we do in your underpopulated northern neighboring country, or they are sending us a different tire and calling it the same. I do admit to having replaced the pegs on my goldie twice so far, and need a fourth set, but it seems to be the center of the tires that are wearing out.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

the road surface definitely has a lot to do with how long a tire will last us,
add to that, each of us rides with a different Throttle Style...

I tend to be a slow and go type, letting the engine do most of the work, for braking down to about 35 mph then I apply brakes.

as for acceleration, I ease up to about 2500 RPM and then just tickle the clutch lever a tad and prepressure on the shifter lets the next gear slide right in.

Used to be a Hell Bent for Leather type rider, but that was 30 to 50 years ago. ;)
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

I was between 20-21 thousand miles on my first set of Elite 4's before changing them out. Just moderate riding.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Billthebulldog wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:54 am
Hey yall,
I was wondering when it was a good time to replace tires on the gold wings? I know for cars that you can use the penny method to test tread depth and when it reaches blows Abe's head that its time to replace. Is that the same for bikes? Also, I recently ran over some motor oil while driving (Whole gallon spilt in the road in a roundabout and wasn't able to move out of the way) and now seem to have a slippry patch on the rear tire, how should I get rid of that? Thanks!
Oil on the tires... Not good. If it is on new tires you are talking about??????? You can try some brake cleaner or steam clean them if you have a hotsy steam cleaner available. Otherwise if they are old tires replace them. Rubber hardens and gets slippery after 5 years and you should replace tires older than 5 years(see the date code on your tires and the How To article on reading the date code). Riding on wet surfaces on old tires is like playing Russian Roulette..... You wanna play???

Wear bars are on your tires for a purpose.
Cupping tires are another factor. If your tires are cupping within 3,000-8,000 miles you need to replace your steering bearings to tapered steering bearings, properly torqued with a torque wrench and special socket. This one spot too many wing owners fail miserably in cheaping out and blaming it on something else when all you have to do is put in good new steering bearings to get better life out of your tires.
Cheap tires will get you poor performance and tire life. Stinko tires are the worst you can get.

Wear bar indicators

https://southtexasbiker.com/motorcycle- ... tch-tires/

Read your tire date codes

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2012