How and where do you store your riding gear?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

How and where do you store your riding gear?

Post by tamathumper »

I've hit a dubious milestone - I'm running out of space to store our riding gear... All the footwear, helmets, jackets, pants, etc. are crowded into a plastic "closet" in the garage near the bike. I think the brand is Keter, like this one, below.

I want some way to keep everything together, and sealed reasonably well against spiders and bugs and dust, yet reasonably convenient to the bike for when I want to ride. What is your solution?

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: How and where do you store your riding gear?

Post by nwkwinger »

Maybe you just need to buy a second one?
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

They're surprisingly expensive, and before I do that, I'm curious what other people do - Closets? Open hangers? Foot lockers? Nails on the wall?
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1983 GW Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

tamathumper wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:44 am They're surprisingly expensive, and before I do that, I'm curious what other people do - Closets? Open hangers? Foot lockers? Nails on the wall?
Yes.

If you ride a lot, you want the stuff handy to the garage. If you go several times a month, store it in the house.

Check craigslist for cheap or free cabinets. Foam weatherstripping will keep the wildlife out.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The closet in our front hall is crammed to the gills with riding gear. All of our coats etc. reside on a rack in the hallway. My wife continually complains about it.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

I use a spare bedroom as an office, and the closet in that room for "my" hanging clothing. My motorcycle gear is in my bedroom, taking up about a quarter of my "wife's" walk in, which is what I would be allotted if my hanging clothing were there. This bedroom is near the rear exit of the house, which keeps the riding gear fairly near to the motorcycle.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

Since I ride nearly everyday my helmet is on a seldom used chair in the living room and my riding boots are directly underneath there at the foot of the chair. My jacket is on the back of my kitchen chair and pants folded in thirds on another kitchen chair. I we have anyone over and need the other kitchen chairs I move all that into the hall closet. Since my wife doesn't get to ride with me everyday all of her gear stays in the hall closet until needed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

In warm weather I like to hang the jacket where it can air out and dry. That's on the back of a bar stool in my kitchen. Helmet, gloves, etc. on the same stool.
Lady friend's gear in the closet as she rarely rides with me. Also, she doesn't live here. There are some advantages to living alone.
garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil »

We complain about our wives needing an extra room for knitting and sewing stuff, but after a few years, our riding gear starts to become a problem.
If you ride nearly every day, your daily riding gear is by the garage door where it is handy. But if you are like me, you don't throw away your old gear because, well, you might need it some day, right??

For my helmets I store my spares in their bags on a high shelf in our laundry room. (My wife is telling me I have to do the same with my hats, but that is another issue)
I store my old riding jackets and pants on hooks in the garage.
My newer gear gets hung in the front closet during the off season. So winter jacket and pants during the summer, and summer jacket and pants during the winter.
I also have a couple of plastic tubs with various generations of gloves, liners, boots, neck gaiters, tank bags, etc. out in the shed.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should you give in to the urge to tell your wife that your gear deserves equal rights to her stuff. This is just a lose lose argument. You cannot win so don't try.
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I installed a six foot long hanger bar underneath the cabinets(kitchen style) in my garage. I hang my jackets(5) and spare rain gear set on it. I'm on the lookout for a small cabinet, or hall seat, to keep the riding boots in. It might be time to think about building an extension on the garage. The four helmets reside on top of the 'beer fridge' in their bags, that is next to the tool boxes out there. Mrs. Mini keeps her helmet and jacket in the foyer closet, for now.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

For years our front closet - the one near the front door, has been jammed to overflowing with riding gear, meaning all our regular coats, etc. have been on the coat rack in the hallway, which my wife HATES.

She recently went through the closet in our guest bedroom and took most everything in there to the Salvation Army, and moved all the riding gear up to the guest room closet, to free up space downstairs. That said, there is still PLENTY of gear in the downstairs closet, and the shelves are full of helmets, gloves, and more...

Not very convenient having gear upstairs in this closet, but she was angry about not having any room to put her jacket away, so I wasn't going to argue. :)

Guest room closet
Guest room closet