Piston rings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Harryotransport
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100 naked with sidecar

Piston rings

Post by Harryotransport »

Hi folks my engine is free tho when I spray wd40 into chamber it disappears thru time sealing behind piston so I need piston rings. Also I've seen gaskets kit for sale.what is the itemized list of gaskets il need to complete task of taking engine out and splitting engine to replace piston rings..thanks folks..as I need help as I'm a bus driver. Not mechanic ......sorry 1985 gl1200 a aspencade

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Piston rings

Post by tamathumper »

Pretty sure any liquid you put in the cylinder will work its way past the rings over time. How much liquid, and how long, are we talking?

I wouldn't do a job that involved until I did a compression test, ran some Seafoam through the gas to see if they're just stuck, and did another compression test after.

Unless you know they're bad from some other test or piece of information.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Correct. Piston rings have a gap, and they are designed to seal under combustion pressure. An engine at rest will allow any liquid to drain into the crankcase, especially solvents like WD-40.
Harryotransport
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100 naked with sidecar

Post by Harryotransport »

When bike on side stand put wd40 into both right hand cylinders and wd40 disappears from the front cylinder
nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

It sounds to me like you're almost convinced that you need new rings. Before you start buying parts for this project, do a compression check first.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

In the process of doing an engine rebuild on my '85 Limited Edition. Have installed new rings, crank and con rod bearings, new primary chain and a host of other new parts. Doing this because it was smoking like a chimney, it's my retirement project and I'm keeping the bike for the long term. Cost for the rebuild is going to be approximately $2.5K CDN, give or take.

As has been mentioned, you have some work to do first. A compression test and leak down test as well. The compression test gives numbers, the leak down test will tell you what may be the culprit affecting the compression. The leak down test is where you pressurize the cylinder and listen for air leaks. For the exhaust valves remove the exhaust headers. For the rings, listen to the crank case through the oil fill. For the intake valves listen at the air filter. The exhaust valves are generally the major issue as crud builds up on the valves and valve seats over time.

If you have to have the work done for you, not economical. If you do it yourself, are you keeping the bike long term? I come from a family of mechanics, and was a marine engineering artificer/marine engineer in our Navy so I'm comfortable doing this work. These engines are intimidating when on the bike, but are actually quite simple, not much to the internals. Definitely need the OEM service manual before you start a project like this. Expect to have the bike out of commission for at least 6 months, life/work get in the way of doing a project such as this.

If the engine does not smoke on first start of the day, or does a little then goes away, ride and enjoy. If the compression is well south of 100 PSI, maybe a head rebuild is in order. The only issue with a head rebuild is that it generally affects the bottom end of the engine such as the "seal" between the piston cylinders and piston rings. The better the exhaust/intake valves seat/seal, the more the older parts are affected. Piston cylinders "glaze" over time, the piston rings "polish" the cylinder and eventually the ring/cylinder wall "seal" starts to deteriorate - happens with all engines to varying degrees.

Good luck

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest